PDA

View Full Version : VerizonWireless Unlimited (limited) Plan!!!

Infidel Edition
12-02-2013, 03:33 PM
:mad:
So I've been rolling on the Verizon (grandfathered in) Unlimited data for a few years now.
And this is the first upgrade period where they don't offer that plan any longer!
But, I can keep it as long as I don't upgrade (or pay retail for a phone and transfer the coverage to it...).
So, for 1 phone with unlimited talk/text/data
And 1 phone with 3 Gb / mo
...and 2 dumb phones runs me just over $200 / mo (after military discount).

If I switch to Sprint, I get my new phone! + more importantly, all 4 phones would become unlimited talk/text/data...
and it would cost $260 / mo (not sure on discount, but I'd guess military = 10%)
.........so maybe $225 / mo?

:sad0147:
but that 1 3GB/mo phone is stuck on contract till 2015!
Things to ponder...

Anyone have Sprint?
How's the 4G service?
Verizon's 4G is mediocre at best here.

4.3LXJ
12-02-2013, 04:15 PM
When my Verizon phone came due for upgrade, I kept my unlimited plan and just bought a smart phone for a hundred bucks and transferred it to the plan. Upgrading is a racket I don't want to be involved in anymore

07Negative
12-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Same crap happen to me. These bastards are making hand over fist all while screwing the customer. Stand in a "line" for 30+ minutes to get help. As soon as this POS iPhone takes a crap. I'm no longer going to have a phone. Save myself $150 a month on a bill and put into Jeep parts. That's 1800 bux for the year. I can build a roll cage for that amount of coin.

Infidel Edition
12-02-2013, 04:32 PM
I need my phone as it's the primary comm's for funeral taskings.
Otherwise, I'd go with a land line and tell anyone that if I'm not there to answer, it's cause I don't wanna talk.

Brasscatz
12-02-2013, 04:39 PM
You have to weigh the cost of cancelling vs. the cost of not. My wife had Verizon when we met and she lost her phone. We called to see how much it would be to get out of her contract and because she only had a little time left contracted, it was cheap to cancel and get her on my plan. But then T-Mobile started sucking.

Now, that being said, don't go T-Mobile. Yes, they are pretty much the cheapest and I've been with them for 10 years now. But they used to be better. They really got crappy about 4 years ago. I only keep them because they are cheapest, however, their "4G LTE" service is about as fast as 3G (sometimes slower), their "unlimited data" only includes so much high speed and once you meet that it slows to dial up speeds... oh but it's "unlimited" Ha.

bad luck
12-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Is a smart phone really necessary? I have never had one, so for me it's not. I guess I'm cheap but I would rather have my dumb cell phone, and keep the money that I save. I remember in the old days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and we didn't have cell phones, what a pain in the ass that was. Now we only have 2 pay phones in our whole town. And those are just outside of the phone companies office. I'm thinking about getting rid of the land line at home also, but then I won't have fax capabilities. I also will get rid of dish tv when the contract runs out, and just have Amazon prime video. We can use the web for news if we want it. Which to me is much better than the network news anyway.

EekGirl96
12-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Yeah, thats the one thing that almost made me leave Verizon (and Ive been with them for years). Im not a fan of any other carriers, Ive had cricket (Yuck!) and they all suck especially coverage wise.

The Verizon I go to worked with me and kept my bill at the same price as it was before when I had unlimited everything (I now have 6g's of data, unlimited text and like 400 talk since I dont talk on the phone much)...my bill runs me $118 and thats with the government discount and having their home phone service.

Infidel Edition
12-03-2013, 09:24 PM
usually i'll put in the address of the service and use the Google nav
but sometimes, the address is bad and I need to Google the location (ie cemetery name or museum the other day)
most of the time the point of contact is not reachable or not the right pic

so yeah, its a vital tool.
...plus my CraigsList app, junkyard hunting app... etc.

~ and in AfCrackastan I can skyp on my phone via WiFi for cheaper then calling...

Floridajeepcherokee
12-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Straight talk Some phones use Verizon network. 45 a month for unlimited & slow internet, unlimited talk and text. But for 45 a month I think it's not bad.

Brasscatz
12-04-2013, 07:31 AM
~ and in AfCrackastan I can skyp on my phone via WiFi for cheaper then calling...

Another cool trick I used when I went to Scotland; because Skype couldn't get a clear connection, I was able to call my parents in Texas on my home phone number through the xfinity connect app on my cell phone using nothing but Wi-Fi. My SIM card wasn't even in my phone. The only cost was my monthly xfinity bundle bill which oddly is $13 cheaper with home phone than without.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Infidel Edition
12-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Straight talk Some phones use Verizon network. 45 a month for unlimited & slow internet, unlimited talk and text. But for 45 a month I think it's not bad.

I might have to check that out...
Speed isn't an issue. I just need to have connection sometimes.

Another cool trick I used when I went to Scotland; because Skype couldn't get a clear connection, I was able to call my parents in Texas on my home phone number through the xfinity connect app on my cell phone using nothing but Wi-Fi. My SIM card wasn't even in my phone. The only cost was my monthly xfinity bundle bill which oddly is $13 cheaper with home phone than without.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

I don't do the xfinity ~ I had Vonage (which was nice, but didn't use since noone knows my home # = went away last year)
But GoogleVoice is way cool.
I have it on my "friends and family" list, so I can call it unlimited and bounce calls from there to pretty much anywhere.
There is a charge for some country to country calls. I think Thailand ran .06 / minute a few years back.

graverobberjk
12-06-2013, 10:36 AM
im getting fed up with phone and cable companies in general....took almost a year to get my discount from verizon and both verizon and time warner dont keep true to their word on promotions....im about to say forget both of em and switch companies for good

prcjeep
12-06-2013, 12:54 PM
im so frustrated with the cable and phone companies, i dont have cable. At my last place i borrowed wifi from my neighbor and got only the main stations on tv. I am struggling to make sense of budgeting 80-100 a month for tv and internet at home. I would rather ask my neighbors if we could share. Add a box to their plan, I'll run the cable and pay them a % of the bill. Anyone know if there are restrictions stated in the cable companies contracts for doing so?

nickyg
12-06-2013, 01:10 PM
I use Sprint. I get pretty good coverage everywhere. even at my inlaws swamp in Florida. Everywhere that is, except in my living room.
we have unlimited data and text on 4 phones. and free calls after 7pm and on weekends and holidays.
My wife tells me it's the best deal out there.
I'm pretty happy with their customer service.
but all it takes to make me happy is to throw bacon at me.

Brasscatz
12-06-2013, 04:54 PM
im so frustrated with the cable and phone companies, i dont have cable. At my last place i borrowed wifi from my neighbor and got only the main stations on tv. I am struggling to make sense of budgeting 80-100 a month for tv and internet at home. I would rather ask my neighbors if we could share. Add a box to their plan, I'll run the cable and pay them a % of the bill. Anyone know if there are restrictions stated in the cable companies contracts for doing so?

Holy crap! Patrick is ALIVE!!! I don't know if there are any written restrictions about sharing with your neighbor, but I'm sure that if the cable company knew about it, they'd have a fit. Think of it as buying a CD (I know, who buys CDs anymore?) and burning it and splitting the price with a friend.

4.3LXJ
12-06-2013, 07:48 PM

I don't know about the contract aspect, but it might not fly. However, as far as WiFi goes, it is considered public domain unless you lock it with a pass word. But not locking it can be a problem. If someone does something illegal while using your wifi, you are the first person to get your door bashed in and will have to prove it wasn't you

Brasscatz
12-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I don't know about the contract aspect, but it might not fly. However, as far as WiFi goes, it is considered public domain unless you lock it with a pass word. But not locking it can be a problem. If someone does something illegal while using your wifi, you are the first person to get your door bashed in and will have to prove it wasn't you

Not to mention the fact that a computer savvy person can get into your wifi if they're close enough and get into all your network and personal stuff. Even if it IS protected, they can still get in. The safest way to have internet is by hardwire, but that's old school :D

Infidel Edition
12-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Holy crap! Patrick is ALIVE!!! I don't know if there are any written restrictions about sharing with your neighbor, but I'm sure that if the cable company knew about it, they'd have a fit. Think of it as buying a CD (I know, who buys CDs anymore?) and burning it and splitting the price with a friend.

i used to share WiFi with a neighbor ... split the bill