PDA

View Full Version : Engine hesitation/starter

bear necessities
11-27-2013, 06:30 PM
I have a 2001 jeep cherokee 2wd. Here's the problem shortly after purchasing it (used with 135000 miles) it had a lot of trouble starting unless I gave it some gas to warm up. So I replaced to starter and noticed I had a oil leak very close to the starter as well as a small transmission leak. I believe the oil is what caused the starter to go bad. So new starter works great a couple days now same issue. Trouble starting cold have to give it some gas. Is it possible the leak is already affecting the starter? Second after pressing the break I'll hit the acceleration to hear and see the rpm rev but no acceleration until a second or two later when it jolts forward. Is this delayed acceleration related to transmission leak? Obviously need to take care of leaks but wondering if there could be something more going on I can take care of myself. Any help is much appreciated. Also all I have done to jeep so far New spark plugs , air filter, and starter.

Brasscatz
11-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Hello and welcome to xjtalk! I don't think your starter is the problem. The oil leak you're referring to around your starter is most likely coming from your oil filter adapter. Fix it when you have time, but that isn't your issue. If your starter is cranking the engine, it is fine. What you are describing sounds a bit more like a crank position sensor or a throttle position sensor issue. Might even be clogged fuel filter, worn out pump, or something like that.

The hesitation issue could very well be caused by low transmission fluid. When you can get your jeep to start and run, let it get up to operating temp and check your transmission fluid with the Jeep running, emergency brake on, and jeep in neutral. (or have a helper hold the brake).

4.3LXJ
11-27-2013, 08:03 PM
I think the throttle position sensor is the problem since giving it some gas gets it started. But, the first thing I would do is clean the idle air controller and see if that helps. That one is a near freebie

Brasscatz
11-28-2013, 11:53 PM
And keep us updated! We'd like to know of any progress you have ;)

bear necessities
11-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Hey guys thanks for the help and you were right about the transmission fluid. No problems any more with the engine hesitation, guess I need to remember to check the easiest solutions first lol. I haven't had a chance to check the starter issue but will keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

Brasscatz
11-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Glad to hear part of the issue is solved ;) Let us know if you need anything else

amunoz
11-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Might be ur fuel pump also, 12 year old might want to swap it for a Bosch one. I did it and my 99 xj runs very strong

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk