PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go for Thanksgiving?

Mudderoy
11-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Where do you go for Thanksgiving?

We stay at home and everyone comes to us. Unfortunately my Mom choose a few years ago not to make the 50 mile drive from Baytown to Katy. She's in her 90's so it's probably not a bad idea.

We'll have a house full like always. I never can hang and wind up sneaking off for a nap. This will be the first year I don't have a 4 day weekend. Even though I'm in I.T. now (new job) the business is retail so they're open on Friday.

A small price to pay for finding a great new job right before the holidays!

So what will you be doing for Thanksgiving? Where will you go? Does anyone hop a plane and do that nightmare run? I can't imagine fighting with all those people traveling across country, but I guess we all do what makes us the happiest.

Hartly
11-26-2013, 08:11 PM
made the 6 hour run from the hunting cabin home yesterday. tommorrow i get to drive 6 more to grandmas. but the food alone makes it all worth while

Mudderoy
11-26-2013, 08:12 PM
made the 6 hour run from the hunting cabin home yesterday. tommorrow i get to drive 6 more to grandmas. but the food alone makes it all worth while

Driving isn't so bad, although 6 hours is pretty tough. All that airport stuff drives me up the wall though. So much waiting.

4.3LXJ
11-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Staying home, just the two of us

Hartly
11-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Driving isn't so bad, although 6 hours is pretty tough. All that airport stuff drives me up the wall though. So much waiting.

i am with you there. at least when i drive i have control of the radio:D

Brasscatz
11-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Each year we alternate holidays between my family in Ft. Worth and my wife's family here in Houston. And by alternating, I mean one year here on Thanksgiving and there the weekend after, the next year there on Thanksgiving and here after. We do the same with Christmas. It's about a 4 hour drive up there and 5-6 depending on traffic coming back.

So this year I'll be taking a half day at work to drive north on Friday.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

XJ Wheeler
11-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Should be at home, nobody else. Making a big meal, to regret it directly after consumption.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Mudderoy
11-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Each year we alternate holidays between my family in Ft. Worth and my wife's family here in Houston. And by alternating, I mean one year here on Thanksgiving and there the weekend after, the next year there on Thanksgiving and here after. We do the same with Christmas. It's about a 4 hour drive up there and 5-6 depending on traffic coming back.

So this year I'll be taking a half day at work to drive north on Friday.

Does that mean you don't have Thanksgiving on Thursday?

nickyg
11-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Having an early dinner (noon) with the wife and hatchlings @ the Nickyg compound.. Then off to work the night shift.

Brasscatz
11-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Does that mean you don't have Thanksgiving on Thursday?

I will, this year is Thanksgiving ON Thanksgiving here in Houston at my Mother-in-law's house, then traveling up on Friday. I get 2 Christmases and 2 Thanksgivings every year. We just alternate which family gets us ON the holiday and which gets us AROUND the holiday. Win/win :D

bluedragon436
11-27-2013, 12:26 AM
I'll be heading to Andrews AFB, and then on to Japan for T-day!! LOL so will be having my usual Chinese food Thanksgiving meal tomorrow night!! LOL

Mudderoy
11-27-2013, 12:38 AM
I will, this year is Thanksgiving ON Thanksgiving here in Houston at my Mother-in-law's house, then traveling up on Friday. I get 2 Christmases and 2 Thanksgivings every year. We just alternate which family gets us ON the holiday and which gets us AROUND the holiday. Win/win :D

Ahhhh okay, I missed that, I thought it was either or, not and. Other than a long drive that's a pretty sweet deal!

nickyg
11-27-2013, 02:28 AM
I'll be heading to Andrews AFB, and then on to Japan for T-day!! LOL so will be having my usual Chinese food Thanksgiving meal tomorrow night!! LOL

when we first got married, My wife and I use to celebrate all the holidays at Denny's

EekGirl96
11-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Going to my grandmas for Thanksgiving,....Ill be cooking most of the food and bringing it over to reheat since she gets overwhelmed easily.

Looks like itll be a full house here too....great lol

EekGirl96
11-27-2013, 08:12 AM

Lol, "A Christmas Story" instantly popped into my head

fararararaa

abebehrmann
11-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Staying home, just the two of us

Same here. Will be a nice, RELAXING, change of pace for us.

Firemanray
11-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Going to my sisters place. 7 hour drive, I'll stay here a few days before going home.

denverd1
11-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Staying home. Well, going to hunt today and tomorrow then back to the casa. The rents are headed to Chicago Thursday and coming back Monday. Don't feel sorry for them.

NW99XJ
11-27-2013, 09:35 AM
I go to my kitchen, then to the table, then to the couch..... and in that order! :D

drakan1908
11-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Going to my parents. First time in about 7 years that my mom has felt like cooking. I can't wait.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

LizardRunner
11-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Wolf and I are going up to our land. Four days of bliss and thanks to the creator. Lots of work to get done so we can be moving there in the spring.

gary63
11-27-2013, 04:26 PM

ya are the same 2 of all the holidays and birthday too. my wife's family and my is to big for any one place so we change off on the days. I work 1/2 day on the holiday and a full day right after so we get a small room inbetween meals witch makes it nice. Like you said win/win.

07Negative
11-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Going to the inlaws. I hope to maintain a nice buzz. I can both understand and speak Ilocano after a bottle of wine. Kinda wanted to go back home since my great granny just gave life a notice that she quits (she died). Have a great time folks. Remember. No drinking and driving.

Brasscatz
11-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Going to the inlaws. I hope to maintain a nice buzz. I can both understand and speak Ilocano after a bottle of wine. Kinda wanted to go back home since my great granny just gave life a notice that she quits (she died). Have a great time folks. Remember. No drinking and driving.

Sorry to hear that man...

JamesPT
11-28-2013, 06:46 AM
No Thanksgiving across the pond :-( , but strangely we have Black Friday!?

Mudderoy
11-28-2013, 09:29 AM
No Thanksgiving across the pond :-( , but strangely we have Black Friday!?

Well of course you do. Can't have a cyber Monday without a black Friday! :patriot:

BlueXJ
11-28-2013, 10:17 AM
I go to my kitchen, then to the table, then to the couch..... and in that order! :D
I can only add that it is bright and sunny so I may go to the porch for a good cigar.

Mudderoy
11-28-2013, 10:26 AM
From me and ALL the staff of xjtalk.com, have a very HAPPY THANKGIVING!

:xj-black: :xj-green: :xj-red: :xj-white: :xj-blue: :xj-yellow: :yourock:

:xjtalk:

nickxj94
11-28-2013, 01:33 PM
My wife's family dinner, then my house my wife cooked some awesome food I can't wait for! Lol:D

lthamm
11-28-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm at work :-(

ches30
11-28-2013, 09:01 PM
I cooked dinner at my house with my in laws, however me and the boys skipped out while the ham was in the oven. Did about 45 mins if wheeling ! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/yty2a4yj.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/y8y9u7ab.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/huvenupe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Mudderoy
11-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Well I had one good helping at 3pm, then about 6:30 I took a 2 hour nap. Woke up not full, which of course means, time for a 2nd helping! My wife makes cranberry sauce and I forgot to get some on my first plate. Just fixed that mistake! Mmmmm!

Mudderoy
11-28-2013, 10:10 PM
I cooked dinner at my house with my in laws, however me and the boys skipped out while the ham was in the oven. Did about 45 mins if wheeling ! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/yty2a4yj.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/y8y9u7ab.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/huvenupe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

They'll be talking about that on future Thanksgivings for years to come. :patriot:

Floridajeepcherokee
11-29-2013, 12:04 AM

Must be nice. Only place I went was to Prison. No turkey, no dressing. I had to work. : (

Brasscatz
11-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Must be nice. Only place I went was to Prison. No turkey, no dressing. I had to work. : (

Ouch... I'm hoping you're a prison guard... :smiley-scared003:

4.3LXJ
11-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Thanks for your service. I had the same situation when I was a firefighter, only punctuated by a little excitement

editedforsafety
11-29-2013, 05:48 AM
I forced myself to sleep until noon, then went and had dinner with my girlfriends parents. I had to go into work at 7:30pm, and I just got home. Feeling pretty zombied out.

Floridajeepcherokee
11-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Ouch... I'm hoping you're a prison guard... :smiley-scared003:

LOL, Nope. C.O. Prison Guard is slang.
I just started so I had to work the holiday even though I'm normally off in Wednesday and Thursdays but b/c I'm a new hire. It wouldn't have been so bad except the shift put it where it wasn't feasible as in too early to eat before work and after work everyone is asleep. I recently left county employment. Prison appears to be more disciplined than jail.

lthamm
11-29-2013, 09:14 AM
I have to work every holiday this year this is how it works out with the 24-48 rotation and this is the third year in a row cause I got changed shifts I forget what its like to have a holiday I think its rougher for our families then it is on us that do the public service

ArmyGuy45
11-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Stayed home but invited 5 single soldiers from the barracks to come have a home cooked meal.

Floridajeepcherokee
11-29-2013, 11:49 PM
I have to work every holiday this year this is how it works out with the 24-48 rotation and this is the third year in a row cause I got changed shifts I forget what its like to have a holiday I think its rougher for our families then it is on us that do the public service

Law Enforcement?

cpttuna
11-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Wherever you went for thanksgiving, I hope you took time to give thanks for being able to participate. I was able to participate but many family and friends are no longer around to enjoy the moment with me.

lthamm
11-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Im a Lieutenant at a fire department

4.3LXJ
11-30-2013, 10:22 AM

When I was in the fire service, we had awesome shift Thanksgiving meals and brought the immediate family down to participate. The only problem is if the bells went off :patriot:

Mudderoy
11-30-2013, 11:34 AM
We had 15 people in total.

4050 4046

4047 4048

And Buddy was good enough to protect all the food.

Floridajeepcherokee
12-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Buddy looks cuddly, LOL.

Floridajeepcherokee
12-01-2013, 04:25 PM

Oh, Are doubles common with Fire??

When I was in the fire service, we had awesome shift Thanksgiving meals and brought the immediate family down to participate. The only problem is if the bells went off :patriot:

Wish we did but u know Turkey puts u to sleep so maybe not a idea. I didn't get my dressing and turkey fix until after but I've had turkey everyday since. : )

Adam Sandler- The Thanksgiving Song - YouTube

bad luck
12-01-2013, 09:01 PM
I was in Houston for Thanksgiving day, but I was in the truck and couldn't find a place to park for a nice meal. The truck stop thanksgiving meals are terrible, so I just had a sandwich from a convenience store. But that's allright since I need to lose some excess weight anyway.

Floridajeepcherokee
12-01-2013, 09:05 PM
I was in Houston for Thanksgiving day, but I was in the truck and couldn't find a place to park for a nice meal. The truck stop thanksgiving meals are terrible, so I just had a sandwich from a convenience store. But that's allright since I need to lose some excess weight anyway.

I had a sandwich too at least u weren't in prison. When I drove cross country otr 18 wheeler I stopped at Shoney's on Thanksgiving and got my turkey n dressing fix. I believe Golden Corral has a traditional Thanksgiving meal as well.