PDA

View Full Version : Transponder key's

Splatterific
11-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Just picked up a 2000 grand cherokee. Only got the 1 transponder key and unfortunately the lock cylinder is worn. Had a key cut non transponder in the hopes it was the key and not the cylinder. Trying to figure the best route to go. I'd rather bypass the transponder setup and just get regular keys made for $2 instead of spending $80 a key. How can I do this? What do I need?

msmoorenburg
11-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Just picked up a 2000 grand cherokee. Only got the 1 transponder key and unfortunately the lock cylinder is worn. Had a key cut non transponder in the hopes it was the key and not the cylinder. Trying to figure the best route to go. I'd rather bypass the transponder setup and just get regular keys made for $2 instead of spending $80 a key. How can I do this? What do I need?

I would just hit up the dealer for the new brass tumblers (like .75ea and 8 of them) they can either match to your vin or pull the tumbler apart and get the numbers. You cannot bypass the the sentry key setup in a Chrysler car without the dealer and a drb (will cost more than keys) Watch the video it will show you how to pull the tumbler and take it apart to rekey

http://youtu.be/O57vFndz8Hw

gary63
11-20-2013, 10:58 AM
That was a ok video but to help you out to take the cyl. apart just turn the key counter clock whys to were it stops and then take a knife or what ever and push the brass pin down that is up agenst the stop if you look you can see it. Then turn it just pass the stop and it will come out. One thing they didn't say was the buzzer activate may fall out it is close to the back of the cyl. it can go in backweres and jam up so take a look at it when you slide the cyl. out so you can put it back. To get the tunbles out take a small peace of wood and drill a hole in it about the size of the tumblers that way you can push or knock out the tumbles and you can keep track of the springs and it is easyer than hold on to the lock.