PDA

View Full Version : Is it lift time?

ekaybe
11-19-2013, 10:58 PM
The thought of lifting my cherokee has been in the back of my mind since I took ownership. Today this strolled into the shop with a 2-3" lift :confused: and 31s. Drove it, want it.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/shadowfighters123/Jeep/jeepcrap/null_zpsd21f39be.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/shadowfighters123/media/Jeep/jeepcrap/null_zpsd21f39be.jpg.html)
My goal is to get rid of the rear end sag and clear 30-31s. I see all of this talk about getting vibrations after a lift which requires a tc drop or in some cases sye. I don't need more than a 2-3" lift anyways, all I do is light offroading if you can even call it that.

Here's my poopy butt mobile
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/shadowfighters123/Jeep/E400C03D-61BD-40E0-A8B0-CD13F66AA635-16019-000007CD219FEF4D_zps4fde8a9f.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/shadowfighters123/media/Jeep/E400C03D-61BD-40E0-A8B0-CD13F66AA635-16019-000007CD219FEF4D_zps4fde8a9f.jpg.html)

So basically my question is 2 or 3 inch? If I put 31s under a 2" would they rub? add a leaf? new coils? spacers? SO MANY QUESTIONS :smiley-talk024::ass:

Brasscatz
11-19-2013, 11:21 PM
The thought of lifting my cherokee has been in the back of my mind since I took ownership. Today this strolled into the shop with a 2-3" lift :confused: and 31s. Drove it, want it.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/shadowfighters123/Jeep/jeepcrap/null_zpsd21f39be.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/shadowfighters123/media/Jeep/jeepcrap/null_zpsd21f39be.jpg.html)
My goal is to get rid of the rear end sag and clear 30-31s. I see all of this talk about getting vibrations after a lift which requires a tc drop or in some cases sye. I don't need more than a 2-3" lift anyways, all I do is light offroading if you can even call it that.

Here's my poopy butt mobile
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/shadowfighters123/Jeep/E400C03D-61BD-40E0-A8B0-CD13F66AA635-16019-000007CD219FEF4D_zps4fde8a9f.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/shadowfighters123/media/Jeep/E400C03D-61BD-40E0-A8B0-CD13F66AA635-16019-000007CD219FEF4D_zps4fde8a9f.jpg.html)

So basically my question is 2 or 3 inch? If I put 31s under a 2" would they rub? add a leaf? new coils? spacers? SO MANY QUESTIONS :smiley-talk024::ass:

lifts are contagious! I'd go with the 3" lift. You can easily fit 31s under that with no problems at all. You have several options to get that height all depending on your budget. My 3" lift consists of a pair of used 2" leafs with 1" block, and 3" coil spacers up front. I got all this for roughly $100 through great friends. You will need longer shocks though and possibly relocate your brake lines. You can also look through our Junk Yard Parts list here: http://xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5646 and be able to get a good lift for a great price. That's honestly the route I'd go. Oh, as for the vibes, you shouldn't have any issues with a 3" lift. When you go higher than 3", the vibes usually show up.

ekaybe
11-19-2013, 11:43 PM
lifts are contagious! I'd go with the 3" lift. You can easily fit 31s under that with no problems at all. You have several options to get that height all depending on your budget. My 3" lift consists of a pair of used 2" leafs with 1" block, and 3" coil spacers up front. I got all this for roughly $100 through great friends. You will need longer shocks though and possibly relocate your brake lines. You can also look through our Junk Yard Parts list here: http://xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5646 and be able to get a good lift for a great price. That's honestly the route I'd go. Oh, as for the vibes, you shouldn't have any issues with a 3" lift. When you go higher than 3", the vibes usually show up.

This is my DD so it has to stay desirable to drive! I read on other forums that people were getting the vibes from 2 and 3" lift. Another thing I noticed about the XJ I drove with 31's today was that the wheels didn't want to turn at a slow roll/sit still. Don't know if that's what can be expected out of any Jeep with 31's or if that one was just fugged. Also my budget is cheap as possible without ghetto rigging. How silly would 235/75's look with a 3 inch lift?

Hartly
11-20-2013, 12:01 AM
My DD is up 3 on 31s and its a blast to drive.

ekaybe
11-20-2013, 12:02 AM
My DD is up 3 on 31s and its a blast to drive.

What kind of lift and tires?

Hartly
11-20-2013, 12:06 AM
3" taller spring in front huge shackels out back. Tires are 31/10.5/15s. I dont recall what brand tho.

ekaybe
11-20-2013, 12:10 AM
3" taller spring in front huge shackels out back. Tires are 31/10.5/15s. I dont recall what brand tho.

Y'all are making me want to do it :smiley-scared003:

Hartly
11-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Brasscatz is right on the lifts are contagious thing. Im getin ready to stuff some 33's under there

Brasscatz
11-20-2013, 12:53 AM
This is my DD so it has to stay desirable to drive! I read on other forums that people were getting the vibes from 2 and 3" lift. Another thing I noticed about the XJ I drove with 31's today was that the wheels didn't want to turn at a slow roll/sit still. Don't know if that's what can be expected out of any Jeep with 31's or if that one was just fugged. Also my budget is cheap as possible without ghetto rigging. How silly would 235/75's look with a 3 inch lift?

It'll still be desirable to drive with a budget boost. I DD'd mine that way. Mine is currently on 235/75/15 with 3" so here's a pic for ya

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

ekaybe
11-20-2013, 01:03 AM
It'll still be desirable to drive with a budget boost. I DD'd mine that way. Mine is currently on 235/75/15 with 3" so here's a pic for ya

Oh wow that doesn't look bad at all with 235/75's. My 235/75's are street tires though :o So it might look a little weird.

Also I have a silly question :D Being the type of aggressive driver I am...Does a cherokee with a 3 inch lift still feel totally solid taking quick turns? :rolleye0012:

bluedragon436
11-20-2013, 01:58 AM
I'd def say snag you up either a 3" of 4.5" lift.. I'd say the safe zone to not have to really worry about any TC drop or anything safely would be 3" of lift... some have run 4.5" lift with no TC drop or SYE install, but some have had too... But haven't heard too much complaint about 3" of lift... and heck if you decide you want just a tad bit more later, you could always add in some coil spacers and adj shackles and take it up to 4.5-5" of lift..

Brasscatz
11-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Oh wow that doesn't look bad at all with 235/75's. My 235/75's are street tires though :o So it might look a little weird.

Also I have a silly question :D Being the type of aggressive driver I am...Does a cherokee with a 3 inch lift still feel totally solid taking quick turns? :rolleye0012:

You'll notice the height difference from sitting a tad higher, but everything feels just as solid as stock :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
11-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Stock with 30" BFG AT's

3" on 30" BFG AT's no drop, no vibes.

EekGirl96
11-20-2013, 08:00 AM
You should be fine with a 3" lift and 31's....my xj was running that and did fine...shoot I even stuffed 33's under my xj with a 3 3.5" lift (I did have to chop the fenders but since I didn't care about how it looked it didn't matter to me)....and my xj was my DD

4.3LXJ
11-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Johnny come lately on this. 3" lift and 31" tires are the most bang for your buck. I am a suspension purest, so I prefer springs and shocks only if possible. So, there are a number of ways to do it. You can use wrecking yard parts. I set one up with those, or you can go new. If you go new, then there are two ways to do the rear. One is add a leaf and the other is all new springs. Depends on the budget, but ultimately the new spring packs will last longer. If you use extended shackles, be aware that you might get those vibes because the pinion angle is changed 1° for every inch of shackle. But if you get vibes, I have a thread in the How To Tech section that explains how to get rid of it.

You can use stock track bars, but drill a new hole for it since the axle will shift a little to the driver side a little. Also I prefer using stock wheels for the 31s so they can stuff all the way in the fender wells and not need bump stopping. The tires will rub a little on the lower control arm when the steering is turned to full lock, but that is easy to live with. Just back off on the steering a little

denverd1
11-20-2013, 10:31 AM
wouldn't shackle relocation get him close to 3" in the back with current springs? It's got saggy butt so maybe thats not the best option...

go full springs up front, hit up a JY for rear if you replace it. no matter how you do it, LIFT IT!!!

4.3LXJ
11-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Personally I wouldn't use a shackle relocation on stock springs. They just aren't up to the change in spring dynamics

ekaybe
11-20-2013, 10:47 AM
wouldn't shackle relocation get him close to 3" in the back with current springs? It's got saggy butt so maybe thats not the best option...

go full springs up front, hit up a JY for rear if you replace it. no matter how you do it, LIFT IT!!!

I will definitely not be using shackles. One of the main reasons for lifting is the awful sag. Even with 3 men in the back seat the ride is horrible. I have been told that I wont be happy with a stiffer rear end but that's all BS. The Cherokee I drove yesterday looked like it had a home brew leaf pack and it felt way better than mine!

I know you can't see much in the photo but if you look closely at my rear tire you can see how far it was sagging with this load.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa169/shadowfighters123/null_zps11047325.jpg (http://s200.photobucket.com/user/shadowfighters123/media/null_zps11047325.jpg.html)
and those are 235/75/15 tires which I think measure out to be 29's?

Also I think I've decided on s10 leafs. I definitely need shocks whether or not I can keep my stock ones or not they're dead.

bluedragon436
11-20-2013, 10:55 AM
yeah I would def say replace your shocks regardless.. I thought mine would be in decent shape, and when they got pulled for the new upgrade shocks with the lift, two of the stock shocks had complete holes in the sides of them.. LOL..

ekaybe
11-20-2013, 10:58 AM
yeah I would def say replace your shocks regardless.. I thought mine would be in decent shape, and when they got pulled for the new upgrade shocks with the lift, two of the stock shocks had complete holes in the sides of them.. LOL..

Mine are original and leaking it wouldn't hurt to replace them if I were lifting or not hahaha

denverd1
11-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Shackles give you a softer ride and better articulation with lift springs which are stiffer than stock. Don't rule them out completely. I'll be using them in the rear for my final 2" of lift on mine.

ekaybe
11-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Well being that winter is arriving and we normally camp and ride dirt bikes more often the ol xj will probably find itself with a trailer behind it.

4.3LXJ
11-20-2013, 11:13 AM
The S10 leaf pack would be a good choice then since it is a two stage spring and better able to handle a load than a single stage spring

ekaybe
11-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Hmmmmm...
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pts/4197191310.html

bluedragon436
11-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Seems like a decent deal to me

07Negative
11-22-2013, 02:37 PM
If its rough country not really that good of a deal. Their kits are almost that new. If you replace your control arms. I would get adjustable control arms. I'm also not a fan of RC products. I say piece a kit together. It'll be more expensive though.
Even if you were to replace your OEM products with new OEM stuff. You can easily fit a 29" tire. And a stock XJ with a rear locker does rather well.
I didn't have to do a SYE or TC drop on my 00' xj with a 3" lift. I had a HP D30 and a NP231 in mine. I'm not sure what others have experienced with vibs. The nice thing about staying lower on the side of lifts, is that you don't have to fuss with steering too much. It handles like a stock XJ. But it's true. Its contagious. 3" becomes 5.5" with long arms 33-35's (tires). Lockers, recovery, beer drinking, swearing, and a neglected spouse.

Brasscatz
11-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Well, the price is including the wheels and tires. Not a bad place to start. I would buy some coil spacers and maybe lift shackles for cheap and get another few inches on that lift though, you won't regret it for sure ;)

ekaybe
11-23-2013, 09:42 AM
If its rough country not really that good of a deal. Their kits are almost that new. If you replace your control arms. I would get adjustable control arms. I'm also not a fan of RC products. I say piece a kit together. It'll be more expensive though.
Even if you were to replace your OEM products with new OEM stuff. You can easily fit a 29" tire. And a stock XJ with a rear locker does rather well.
I didn't have to do a SYE or TC drop on my 00' xj with a 3" lift. I had a HP D30 and a NP231 in mine. I'm not sure what others have experienced with vibs. The nice thing about staying lower on the side of lifts, is that you don't have to fuss with steering too much. It handles like a stock XJ. But it's true. Its contagious. 3" becomes 5.5" with long arms 33-35's (tires). Lockers, recovery, beer drinking, swearing, and a neglected spouse.

If I spend money to replace the chit I might as well give it a bit of a lift.

Well, the price is including the wheels and tires. Not a bad place to start. I would buy some coil spacers and maybe lift shackles for cheap and get another few inches on that lift though, you won't regret it for sure ;)

That stuff is gone anyways when I called about it the guy had somebody on their way to "look" at it. Told him to call back if he didn't show and he never did :mad:

4.3LXJ
11-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Ya gotta be aggressive on that stuff Emily. Then never call you back, even if they say they will. You have to jump on the good deals with both feet

Brasscatz
11-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Steve's right. I had 3 other cherokees bought out from under me when I was looking for mine. When I saw mine come on Craigslist, We dropped our dinner plans and ran out of the house! There was another couple that showed up while I was looking at it! If I hadn't bought it, they would have...

Same with Jeep parts that are good deals. You have to jump on them quick!

Firemanray
11-23-2013, 11:48 AM
I don't know if you have access to a cutting torch and welder but I made some SUPER cheap 3" spacers for the front of my 98. I used some 3" schd 40 pipe and a piece of 1/4" steel plate. Nothing fancy but it works great!

See here:http://www.xjtalk.com/showpost.php?p=99289&postcount=50

ekaybe
07-19-2014, 03:05 PM
So it's months later, I have an income now. My XJ needs new shocks and control arm bushings, upper and lower. Been looking at 3 inch lifts and adjustable upper and lower control arms. Are the adjustable control arms worth it? What else can I expect to have to replace after the initial lift? I have a problem with spending large amounts of money at one time somebody talk me into it!

4.3LXJ
07-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Emily, that depends on a lot of things. First off, you can use OEM suspension links for a 3" lift. What you have to buy, depends on what is in your lift. The first one I did all I used was new coils, shocks and an add a leaf. Does your "kit" come with a track bar, track bar relocation bracket? If not, you might need to drill a new hole for the track bar, so get a 3/8" drill bit and so forth. So what kit are you getting. As far as talking you into spending money, well what generally happens is people that lift 3" get altitude sickness and want to go higher, so the adjustable arms are a necessary investment then along with brake lines, new track bar etc.

ekaybe
07-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Well if you guys didn't know my dad owns an auto repair shop. This wholesale supplier carries Tuff Country and Sky Jacker. The Tuff country 3.5" lift looks appealing.
http://www.tuffcountry.com/images/stories/jeep/43802_cherokee_lift_large.jpg
I don't know anything about Tuff Country or their reputation.
Would I be better off just getting that and replacing the bushings in my upper control arms for now?

4.3LXJ
07-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me

XJ Wheeler
07-19-2014, 04:38 PM
That kit looks pretty complete for a 3". A lot of kits in that lift size don't come with many of those parts. Such as new leaf springs versus add a leafs. Add a leafs are fine, but new leafs are just better so you're not using your old springs. Instead of a new track bar, or drilling a new mounting hole it uses a relocation bracket that bolts up to the axle. And drop brackets for the sway bar. I do suggest purchasing sway bar disconnects, when you can. Its not mandatory or anything but you can do away with the drop brackets and have the ability to disconnect the sway bar for more articulation. I would like the arms to be adjustable so they can adapt to other lift heights should you choose to go higher.

Tuff Country is an older brand that honestly, you don't see many people using anymore. Maybe fullsize truck guys but not a lot of jeep owners. Not that its not a good product, you just don't see as many reviews on them. The stock uppers will be fine if you replace the bushings and if you find later on that you want aftermarket ones you can do that too.

ekaybe
07-19-2014, 09:27 PM
I think the sway bar drop brackets you're talking about are actually the ghetto transfer case drop it says it includes. With that being said will I need to get longer sway bar links for this lift?

4.3LXJ
07-19-2014, 09:49 PM
You can use stock links, but some that are an inch and a half longer would be better. Better yet, get Dad to crank up the welder and lengthen the stock links

XJ Wheeler
07-19-2014, 09:53 PM
I think the sway bar drop brackets you're talking about are actually the ghetto transfer case drop it says it includes. With that being said will I need to get longer sway bar links for this lift?

You are right, sorry about that. Like steve said, the stock ones will work. But you wont have the ease of disconnecting them. Not a big deal if you don't go wheeling much.

ekaybe
07-20-2014, 12:56 AM
Any of you guys ever heard of Nankang Mudstars? I'm reading reviews on them and I haven't came across one bad. All say they lasted 40k and worked great on and offroad

Brasscatz
07-20-2014, 02:51 AM
I've heard of them but haven't owned any. There's a place in Houston that has them for $620 for 4 of them and I was probably going to pick some up, so let me know what you think of them lol

ekaybe
07-20-2014, 10:13 AM
620 for what size tire? I don't know if I'll go for them or not.

Brasscatz
07-20-2014, 12:50 PM
33x12.50x15

rabies
07-21-2014, 02:14 PM
ebay..
extendd brake lines f&R $75
extended pitman arm $28
3" full leaf packs $220
3" coil springs $115
3" shocks $150
= $553

samike0781
07-21-2014, 07:29 PM
I bought my xj a year and a half ago, someone else's project, was lifted already(definitely a Frankenstein of parts). Fenders were cut, but had brand new Yokohama m/t tires all around. It's been fun and turns heads, but after driving daily, I've wore out all the working suspension, so to ensure comfort and sport ability, I've shopped long and hard for my new kit. My budget wasn't huge, but allowed me to buy a rough country 3" lift. I ordered a new steering stabilizer just to start matching my parts. Luckily, my lil brother runs a shop and due to my lack of time, gonna have one of his mechanics bolt the kit on Wednesday for me. On the steering issue, I run 33x12.5x15, and with a functional power steering pump and good hoses, I've had no issues turning at a stop or low speeds.

denverd1
07-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Any of you guys ever heard of Nankang Mudstars? I'm reading reviews on them and I haven't came across one bad. All say they lasted 40k and worked great on and offroad

was my first set of tires. Good price and did really well in mud and rocks. seemed to be a good set of tires. Sold them when I moved up to 33s. Wasn't my DD so they didn't have many road miles but seemed to do well enough on the road.