PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint replacement

apw5746
11-19-2013, 10:14 AM
I will probably be chastised for asking without doing a complete search of this forum, however, both upper and lower ball joints need replacing, and time is of the essence.

How do I know replacement is necessary? I went to a reputable shop for an alignment and they were unable to as my driver's side ball joints, both upper and lower, were bad. I went to another shop for a second opinion, and the diagnosis was the same. I even was allowed, both times, to go into the alignment pit and watch as the wheel was moved. I want to get both sides, upper and lower done, but the labor for the job, in this economy is HIGH. Almost $700 and doesn't include price of parts which I'll supply. I even called the stealership for their price. Almost double. My power steering gear box has some play, but that's for a different time. Was told I could get by without doing that job until much later.

My question is can an owner, with the right tools, do the job? I'm retired military so I'm able to use the base auto hobby shop nearby. I know the people that work there, and they will give me advice when I hit a rough spot. I'm not an expert mechanic, but I hate to pay money for something I might be able to do, and gain further experience. Since I have the time - told I would be charged for a 6 hour job. I want to save money, since healthcare will skyrocket the first of the year.

Rig is a stock 99 XJ, auto, 4x4. Anyone that has done this, please advise.

Brasscatz
11-19-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't have enough experience with ball joints to fully answer your question, but I can say that yes, you can do them yourself at home. You will have to buy or rent a ball joint tool to do it though.

I wanted to let you know that you will NEVER catch any crap on here for not searching before posting. We don't believe in that kind of treatment of our members. If you want to search first, that's fine. If you don't want to search first, or cannot find something, PLEASE feel free to do exactly what you did and post your questions! This forum has one golden rule, and that's respect one another and don't flame people.

Thanks for being a part of our forum and keep the questions coming! Now I'll let somebody with more ball joint experience chime in with a more in depth answer for ya ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Brasscatz
11-19-2013, 10:37 AM
I didn't get to watch them all the way through because I'm at work, but here's a few videos that may help you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3jjPouRdFw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYcqNAhk-co&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

XJ Wheeler
11-19-2013, 10:50 AM
I also haven't done it myself but other than being a bit labor intensive and taking some time it looks fairly simple. Plus in saving money you can buy the tools (or rent of course) and still be ahead.

Check out this video series that may help you out.

http://youtu.be/bf77O90BwKc

http://youtu.be/XwWKBZRZ178

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VlTff52KQ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
11-19-2013, 11:10 AM
I have done it myself, and you need a ball joint press (that giant C clamp thing) to do it. You just need to be a little creative with the pieces supplied. One extra piece that made into the box on mine is a 1/4" piece of flat plate to push against. Also to get the knuckle off, a big hammer. 2lb or better

msmoorenburg
11-19-2013, 11:35 AM
One thing to remember it may take massive amount of cranking on the ball joint press cheater pipe will be required. (to the point you think the press will break). If you have access to a torch to heat the area will help alot.

btw no question is a flaming question here and Welcome to XJT

abebehrmann
11-19-2013, 11:43 AM
I wanted to let you know that you will NEVER catch any crap on here for not searching before posting. We don't believe in that kind of treatment of our members. If you want to search first, that's fine. If you don't want to search first, or cannot find something, PLEASE feel free to do exactly what you did and post your questions! This forum has one golden rule, and that's respect one another and don't flame people.

Just one reason why XJTalk is the best. :patriot:

apw5746
11-19-2013, 03:46 PM
I want to thank you all for the comments and encouragement, and not making me feel like an idiot for asking the questing without much searching on the forum. I have watched (many times) the videos referenced in the replies. I just can't see parting with $700 plus. The cost of the parts and my time are well worth it. On the plus side, I gain a ton of experience.

Brasscatz
11-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Hey, we're always happy to help, Pat! We hope you stick around the forums and let us know how the replacement goes! We also have a chat box up at the top where several of us just shoot the bull throughout the day. And by the way... thank you so much for your service to our country

XJ Wheeler
11-19-2013, 04:10 PM
I want to thank you all for the comments and encouragement, and not making me feel like an idiot for asking the questing without much searching on the forum. I have watched (many times) the videos referenced in the replies. I just can't see parting with $700 plus. The cost of the parts and my time are well worth it. On the plus side, I gain a ton of experience.

Ya know, when i first got my jeep i was 16 and knew... nothing. In the 9 years i've had and worked on it, now i do 95% of my own work on it. By doing it yourself you; gain experience and confidence, save money for more fixes and can justify buying the tools to do so, and can by my logic be safer with knowing how to work on things say on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Also, this place is an endless resource. We don't give anyone a hard time, especially for just plain not knowing something. As we say, everyone has to start somewhere. We got your back. You got a question, need advice, we will try our best to help you out. We've even been known to give a few kind words if other stuff is going on in your life. ;)

Also, i just noticed in your info you were in the AF. Sir, thank you for your service. :patriot:

apw5746
11-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Again, thanks for the comments. Especially the two after my last post. I will try to remember to take pictures as I go, but my main objective is to get the old ball joints out and new ones in. Additionally, taking how I did this type of pictures isn't one of my strong points. Also, I know everyone on this forum is dedicated and helpful since were Jeep owners.

I had to smile at the last poster. He started out getting his first Jeep at 16 and I started out in my late 60's. I'm experienced at a lot of things, but have always relied on getting car repairs done at a shop. XJ Wheeler and I are at the opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to age, but should we go into a shop for a repair, the service people lick their lips just waiting to gouge us. The difference is XJ can talk the talk as well as walk the walk.

The last thing I wanted to do when I joined the service was work in the automotive career field, so I decided to fly a desk. Talk about being inexperienced. However, your never to old to learn. You can bet your bottom dollar I will be watching this forum for answers quite a bit. As long as I've got a auto hobby shop close, I won't have to invest in tools I'll probably use once. Plus my neighbor has just about everything you could imagine in the way of tools.

Pat

XJ Wheeler
11-19-2013, 07:43 PM
As they say, you're never too old to learn. An example is my mom. She has, as long as i can remember, had a problem with operating electronics. Even after owning a TV for a year i still get "Which one's the on/off button?" "The big red one at the top mom!" But recently she was gifted a tablet and through many (many) questions she now enjoys it (almost) "help" free.

So, to you sir... Learn on! Things may look confusing but answers are just one post away! Don't worry if you don't know something, after 9 years i've only got about 20% of what i want to know. :cool:

OverRockOffRoad
11-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Just my 2 cents on the ball joint job, I have replaced countless ball joints and it can be an easy issue free job and it can be a huge PITA!

I have had to use a torch to get some out and I've hammered others out with a couple good smacks. With that said I am all for the DIY guys as I own an online store so most of my customers are "do it your selfers". The ball joint job is one you'll need to complete in order be able to move the Jeep, as in if you get it torn apart and can't get the old ones out or the new ones in you'll find yourself in a tough situation. If its to far either way and you cannot put it back together you may need to tow it or pay someone to come out and finish the job.

Again I am all for the DIY people but balljoints and gears I always recommend taking it to a professional unless you know what you are going.