PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issue...

Ruger
11-14-2013, 04:30 PM
My 95 Cherokee 4.0 HO.
This thing has never failed, and started all the time, until this afternoon. It felt like the battery was dead, and barely would turn over. Finally it grabbed and started. So I charged the battery for about an hour, and it still turned very slowly, and started.
I checked the battery while the truck was off.
It read 12.28 volts. Thats only 60%?
I ran it to advance auto, and they tested the battery. It has a two year old red optima in it. He said it was holding a load, and holding at almost 800 cranking amps. Ummmm okay. why was it at 12.28 then while sitting overnight??
Alternator charging fine.
I got it back home, and parked it in the garage, since he told me to pull the starter and bring it in to get checked.
Now the damn thing is starting right up?
I am lost! I started it 5 times, and it fires up like nothings wrong with it. I don't want to get stranded anywhere. Could the starter be the issue, or is this a electrical problem somewhere??

4.3LXJ
11-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Just a bad connection you "fixed"

Ruger
11-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Just a bad connection you "fixed"

I didn't touch anything. Thats why I am lost.

4.3LXJ
11-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Then it is one you need to fix. Clean the terminals and connections to ground and starter

Ruger
11-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Then it is one you need to fix. Clean the terminals and connections to ground and starter

I will go check that right now. Will report back shortly!

cantab27
11-14-2013, 04:38 PM
pull the starter and give it a clean up ...sad starter can be like that ...

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoStarterClean.htm

Ruger
11-14-2013, 04:40 PM
pull the starter and give it a clean up ...sad starter can be like that ...

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoStarterClean.htm

Theres 124K on this starter. I didn't know if it wore out. It is covered in grease.
It was fine until the weather got cold.

cantab27
11-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Theres 124K on this starter. I didn't know if it wore out. It is covered in grease.
It was fine until the weather got cold.

do what steve said first ...check all other stuff ....

Carves
11-14-2013, 04:54 PM
If your battery has a fault ... winter is generally the time it will show up.

X 2 with above tho ... check connections and grounds ... and maybe the starter could do with a strip and clean.

Ruger
11-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Okay, here is what I did so far.
Advance did load test the red optima. They said it is strong.
I pulled the "oil soaked" starter. Must have a leak above it. I cleaned it off, and took it to advance. He tested it, and said it was fine, it spun hard.
However...Theres a little hole in the starter, and I noticed that smoke kept coming out of it, when he put a load on it. He found that odd too, and said it must be oil soaked inside.
I came back home, cleaned "all" the connections. They are all very clean. Hooked everything back up, and it is cranking slowly, not enough to start it. And the starter is actually making a squealing noise while turning slowly. Almost like a wet squeaky noise. I know that sounds odd!
I dunno.
But there is oil dripping from the oil filter, like that housing, and down onto the starter. It has to be that starter I guess? I can't see what else it can be.

cantab27
11-14-2013, 07:21 PM
throw another battery in and try it .........nothing to lose by trying that .....starter shouldn't smoke , must be a good oil leak ......

Ruger
11-14-2013, 08:31 PM
throw another battery in and try it .........nothing to lose by trying that .....starter shouldn't smoke , must be a good oil leak ......

I don't have another battery to try. Yes, the oil was pretty well covered all over the starter. With a ton of grease caked on it. The little drain hole on the starter is where the little stream of smoke came out, everytime he was spinning it on the machine. I never saw one do that. he even said, it must be oil soaked inside. I am thinking the starter needs replaced.

cantab27
11-14-2013, 08:33 PM
follow that link I gave you ...easy to pull apart and clean yourself ...

Ruger
11-14-2013, 08:45 PM
follow that link I gave you ...easy to pull apart and clean yourself ...

I will do that for sure. I am kinda afraid to try that. But it can't hurt. I honestly cannot see it being anything else. Especially with it smoking out of the drain hole under load. Never saw a starter do that.
But the guy at the store tried to debate with me. he said.."it is working".
but it is not under the load of turning an engine over on that machine.

cantab27
11-14-2013, 08:56 PM
yeah had that problem with my tj one ...would spin when out on ground testing but not under load ....gears were shot .....if ya get stuck just ask away ...starters be cheap over there

Brasscatz
11-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Yeah, it can't hurt to check all your connectors on the battery and give them a good cleaning. But I think getting that oil leak fixed will help in the long run. Leaking probably from the oil filter adapter which is pretty common on these, and either clean up your current starter real good with the link from Cantab, or pick up a new one for around $70 or so.

Ruger
11-14-2013, 09:03 PM
yeah had that problem with my tj one ...would spin when out on ground testing but not under load ....gears were shot .....if ya get stuck just ask away ...starters be cheap over there

Thanks! Yes, it was spinning quick on the machine, but theres no load on it. But thats when I saw the smoke coming out of that little hole. I was looking at your DIY. Just for reference. The left photo of yours, where it was dirty....Mine is 10X's worse....It is caked with grease, and oil....

Brasscatz
11-14-2013, 09:04 PM
I vote buying a new one if you can easily afford it and you won't have to worry about it for awhile, but cleaning it is a great way if you're tight on funds

Ruger
11-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah a, new one is 66.00 at advance. I may do that. I do see oil running off of the filter. I may need to find out if they carry those gaskets and how bad it is to do.

Ruger
11-14-2013, 10:07 PM
I just went back into the garage and pulled the starter. Just gonna grab one tomorrow. I was shocked at something though. Now the garage floor was covered in tranny fluid. A, lot!!! It looks like there is a odd looking fitting on the side of the passenger side of the tranny where the line goes to the front. Looks like the line going into that hex fitting is rotted there and leaking. Pretty bad! I dont know if that's the only leak. But its bad there. I need to add fluid. Do I just use dex3/mercon? I think thats what I used before.
Should not have let my son start using my truck.

4.3LXJ
11-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Yes Dex III Mercon

Ruger
11-14-2013, 11:00 PM
The line is on the passenger side. Its low near the pan. It has a large hex fitting and turns 90 degrees then goes about two feet into a rubber hose. Is that the high pressure line? And does advance carry those?

cpttuna
11-15-2013, 05:31 AM
When you disconnected the starter, you loosened the starter cable wire and then reconnected it. This could have been the problem? Try putting a new 2 gage cable from B+ to the starter.

Ruger
11-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Okay got it back up and running. I put a new starter in. I made a shield out of metal and covered the top of the starter. Should keep stuff from dripping down inside of it.
I seen the oil filter adapter but it has some really big torx bolt holding it on? If I am looking at the job right. Is that all thats to changing that gasket? Looks like a pretty big torx bolt.
I see oil dripping from the filter. That must be it.

Carves
11-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Okay got it back up and running. I put a new starter in. I made a shield out of metal and covered the top of the starter. Should keep stuff from dripping down inside of it.
I seen the oil filter adapter but it has some really big torx bolt holding it on? If I am looking at the job right. Is that all thats to changing that gasket? Looks like a pretty big torx bolt.
I see oil dripping from the filter. That must be it.

Oil filter adapter is a fairly common issue.

Should be three o-rings inside it to replace. Cheap enough from chrysler ... or you could hunt around for some from an o-ring seller - once you have the old ones out.

Getting them out is the fun part .. :bang:

I used a t-60 bit, with two ring spanners fitted over it - and a cheater bar slipped over the spanners ...

Need to be non bendy, quality spanners tho ;);)

Some have made a "tool", by welding the torx bit onto a length of flat steel.

Others have messed about angling engines and stuff to get socket drivers in there ...

Its a bit cramped for workspace and it seems that the factory torque spec is about 23squillion ftlb .. :rolleyes: .. :D

ummmm ... ring spanners = whatever you blokes call these things ...

https://www.dlsweb.rmit.edu.au/toolbox/electrotech/toolbox1204/resources/03workshop/05hand_tools/images/ring_openend_spanner.jpg

Brasscatz
11-15-2013, 04:09 PM
ummmm ... ring spanners = whatever you blokes call these things ...

https://www.dlsweb.rmit.edu.au/toolbox/electrotech/toolbox1204/resources/03workshop/05hand_tools/images/ring_openend_spanner.jpg

Well, some redneck blokes call those toothpicks....

Ruger
11-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks! I know what spanners are, I watch "wheeler s and dealers" on the velocity channel. Lol
I was wondering what size that was. Its a big torx. I dont have a T60. I will have to buy one.
I thought there would be a gasket in there. I better stop by the dealer and get them before I take it apart.

Brasscatz
11-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Also a good time to switch the torx with a regular bolt as well ;)

Ruger
11-15-2013, 04:47 PM
That's a good idea.

nickyg
11-16-2013, 12:15 PM
ring spanners = whatever you blokes call these things ...

I always called it a combination wrench. the closed end "box" the open end a "finger smasher"