PDA

View Full Version : General repair chi chat

dagod16
11-13-2013, 07:52 PM
So I had to take my cherokee in to have the driver rear bearings replaced, they were making a grinding noise, and the other rear pass side was leaking. To my shock after having the jeep for 3 days in the shop they did it for free. The mechanic said we must have done it wrong last time (6 months ago) and this one was on the house. I was expecting to pay $250 to $350 for the labor and parts.

I also asked if they could tighten/adjust the rear brakes and they did and it actually feels like the rear brakes are helping slow the jeep down, very nice.

I talked to the guy about a tranny. He said if I have them rebuild one it will cost about $2500 and if I have one shipped to his shop and then installed it will be $750 plus the cost of the tranny and fluid. Is it cheaper to have one shipped to his place? Mine is not going bad.... I was just thinking ahead.

This guy is a top notch guy.

Then he said that at some point it won't be worth putting money into the vehicle. I'm at 199,600 on this jeep and it runs fine. I don't see a need to get a new vehicle. It's garage kept and well taken care of.

He said the engine won't last forever and I seem to have put some good miles on it. My engine on the inside is a beauty, clean as can be. Any thoughts on this comment?

I figure that if I can get two years of good service with minimal repairs out of my baby then put in a new tranny if needed then it's still a reasonable cost to keep it versus a month payment on a new or used vehicle.

Any reason why this engine would all of a sudden go bad or the tranny go bad? I'm up to date on all my maintenance, tranny fluid is red and i 15K I will have it changed any way, last time tranny fluid and filter was changed..... the magnet at the bottom of the pan had almost no flakes just a few tiny tiny crumbs of metal..

Any thoughts?

This is my only daily driver.

Thanks

Rob

cantab27
11-13-2013, 08:16 PM
don't fix what's not broke ......if running fine and service kept up should get keeps of miles outta the old girl ..

4.3LXJ
11-13-2013, 08:32 PM
We have one with 358K an still strong

nickyg
11-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Then he said that at some point it won't be worth putting money into the vehicle. I'm at 199,600 on this jeep and it runs fine. I don't see a need to get a new vehicle. It's garage kept and well taken care of.

well lets face it. Someday mine and yours engine is gonna give out. Machines wear down and fail. It's a fact of life. From an accountants point of view, It's probably not worth spending 2k on an engine for a vehicle with a blue book value of about 3k. But as an owner... Well I know that When I cross that bridge I will spend the money, I love my jeep and plan to keep it for a long time.
If everybody looked at just the bottom line there would be no 57 Chevys and the only place we could see a vette is in a book.

In short I agree with you, If it's well taken care of(and we all take pretty good care of em) Keep replacing what brakes and keep on trucking.

nickyg
11-13-2013, 10:29 PM
My wife just totally disagreed with me and made a rude comment about the age of a mans vehicles in relation to his penis length .

XjJeepacorn
11-13-2013, 10:59 PM
As a woman it's not the age of the vehicle you could have a really ugly old winter beater that just won't die! Is more the size and what you do to it that screams compensation lol! To the O.P. I would encourage you to learn how to do repairs your self! Many of them sound scary but really they aren't you are very lucky to be part of such a thriving Jeep community. This community is one of the most tolerant of any that I've seen. On other forums that shall remain nameless! I was to afraid to ask any question in fear of being ridiculed by its members. No question is stupid to big or to small. There are many great people hear willing to help you on your Jeep Journey. Doing things your self will save you a tone of money! I've also heard of these engines lasting over 600 000 km :) yours is a baby! Not even worked in yet!

nickyg
11-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Funny, That was my wife's exact words. She called me "an ugly old winter beater that just wont die"

XjJeepacorn
11-13-2013, 11:10 PM
They make the best rides ;)

cantab27
11-13-2013, 11:52 PM
As a woman it's not the age of the vehicle you could have a really ugly old winter beater that just won't die! Is more the size and what you do to it that screams compensation lol! To the O.P. I would encourage you to learn how to do repairs your self! Many of them sound scary but really they aren't you are very lucky to be part of such a thriving Jeep community. This community is one of the most tolerant of any that I've seen. On other forums that shall remain nameless! I was to afraid to ask any question in fear of being ridiculed by its members. No question is stupid to big or to small. There are many great people hear willing to help you on your Jeep Journey. Doing things your self will save you a tone of money! I've also heard of these engines lasting over 600 000 km :) yours is a baby! Not even worked in yet!

well said ....learning to do it yourself saves coin plus gives ya a good feeling when ya do...that is once ya knuckle's stop bleeding (or is that just me )..this is how I learnt how to do stuff, on sites like this and still am
learning .......

dagod16
11-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Ya know I thought we had one that had over 400K on it. Ya know I have seen sludgy engines and mine looks extremely clean. Every once in a while I will even run marvel mystery oil through it to make sure!!

dagod16
11-14-2013, 02:14 AM
From an accountants point of view I should not live in the house I have, hahahah. FYI I divorced my accountant!!!! Funny how I have kept the same house and she has moved 3 times and bought 2 vehicles compared to my one jeep which I kept in the divorce.

My account view is that it paid for so what is another 2K in repairs if I get another 100K out of her.

XJ Wheeler
11-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Saw one with 600k miles!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

dagod16
11-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Wow, what kind of a woman would refers to the age of a vehicle to penis length. I think that is male cruelty!! I like to think that since I own a jeep that I am more experienced and can fix any woman's "itch". And between the ages of 30 to 50 woman are like 16 year old boys.......they need it all the time.

dagod16
11-14-2013, 02:18 AM
Well I have so much money because of this website. Seriously. A ton.

I was actually thinking about adding a front brush guard and a more sturdy rear leaf to the back for the camper this summer.

Does miles on a vehicle affect it's towing ability?

Carves
11-14-2013, 05:56 AM
They make the best rides ;)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/coffee_spray.gif

cpttuna
11-14-2013, 06:45 AM
there are several jeep XJ sites. Check all of them for repair info. When you have the number of XJ's I have, there are more chances for things to go wrong. Also, One site may cover repair a lot better(like having more and better pics) or what brand of parts were used. I do a lot more myself and my regular mechanic will look up stuff for me on his computer if I ask him.

XjJeepacorn
11-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Yeah having access to all dat is quite useful but some times it's annoying and gives instructions like those Manuals that u get for 20 bucks at crappy tire! Then again write ups people do some times leave things out so I always try and read 3 or 4 before I tackle something I've never done. And then have your phone ready for asking questions here if you run into something un expected and you're not sure how to proceed! It's always worked out for me! I did two axle swaps this summer and a transfer case swap lol go me!

4.3LXJ
11-14-2013, 10:05 AM
My wife just totally disagreed with me and made a rude comment about the age of a mans vehicles in relation to his penis length .

OK, throwing out the tape measure. I have a 28 Model T scattered around outside :smiley-scared003:

cantab27
11-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Well I have so much money because of this website. Seriously. A ton.

I was actually thinking about adding a front brush guard and a more sturdy rear leaf to the back for the camper this summer.

Does miles on a vehicle affect it's towing ability?

:confused::confused::confused:

and now ya have lost me .......

BlueXJ
11-14-2013, 01:26 PM
OK, throwing out the tape measure. I have a 28 Model T scattered around outside :smiley-scared003:

I have a 40 Chevy and most everything to put together a 47 Harley so between those two what is my penis size???

nickyg
11-14-2013, 01:44 PM
O.K. Let me clarify, Wendy's actual quote was
" you can't beat that new car smell and the feel of a leather seat with new springs, The older a man's car the more he needs to compensate"

I think she was trying to insult me. but I couldn't focus, I was trying to think "Does she have leather seats in her car?"

dagod16
11-14-2013, 09:17 PM
So funny.

dagod16
11-17-2013, 02:38 AM
I did go test drive a few vehicles today. I test drove a 2010 honda civic exL that gets 38 mpg and a Hyunai Elantra which get 38 MPG as well.

I'm not getting rid of the jeep but I think that maybe within 2 years the jeep might be reduced to a backup vehicle or weekends only?

I will break 200K in the next two weeks.

But everything is still running good. I'm going to keep the jeep till my son turns 16 which is 4 1/2 more years to go.

I suppose I could drive the future Honda during the nice weather and the Jeep during the bad weather and for camping. Both vehicles would be garage kept.

Brasscatz
11-17-2013, 09:17 AM
I did go test drive a few vehicles today. I test drove a 2010 honda civic exL that gets 38 mpg and a Hyunai Elantra which get 38 MPG as well.

I'm not getting rid of the jeep but I think that maybe within 2 years the jeep might be reduced to a backup vehicle or weekends only?

I will break 200K in the next two weeks.

But everything is still running good. I'm going to keep the jeep till my son turns 16 which is 4 1/2 more years to go.

I suppose I could drive the future Honda during the nice weather and the Jeep during the bad weather and for camping. Both vehicles would be garage kept.

It's really not a bad idea. I did the same thing. I was driving so much for work that the gas mileage in the Jeep was killing me. I bought a Civic and the gas savings pays almost all of the car payment. But that will probably depend on the length of your commute.

As for you, I would suggest the Honda over the Hyundai for 1.) reliability 2.) much higher resale value. I originally wanted a Cruze Eco for the slightly better mileage but those 2 reasons led me to buy the Civic instead.

XjJeepacorn
11-17-2013, 05:18 PM
and you have a Jeep! Modded I'd assume. Your odds aren't looking good blue lol!

Mine is compensation for the lack of tongue stickie outie capabilities!