PDA

View Full Version : Something went PooF!

Baddmove
11-08-2013, 08:44 AM
I was driving in the rain last night and something went poof! a little puff of smoke came from under the front right area under my hood, the area where all the fuses and where the battery sits. Now my jeep wont start and I have no spark. I had to get a tow home, I still have power to everything but when I turn it over at the key nothing happens. I did a jump start from the wires where the battery meets all the other wires(solenoid?) and the starter turns but the jeep wont start. Could it be a relay or fuse that popped? I couldn't see what went poof as it was dark, windy and raining. I am going to look at it this morning but I need a place to start.... any help is really appreciated!

Mudderoy
11-08-2013, 08:52 AM
I was driving in the rain last night and something went poof! a little puff of smoke came from under the front right area under my hood, the area where all the fuses and where the battery sits. Now my jeep wont start and I have no spark. I had to get a tow home, I still have power to everything but when I turn it over at the key nothing happens. I did a jump start from the wires where the battery meets all the other wires(solenoid?) and the starter turns but the jeep wont start. Could it be a relay or fuse that popped? I couldn't see what went poof as it was dark, windy and raining. I am going to look at it this morning but I need a place to start.... any help is really appreciated!

Do a visual inspection of all the wires that are used in the running of the engine. I wonder if the 12v line running to the coil might have melted, or perhaps the coil itself.

Brasscatz
11-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Usually when you have power to everything but nothing happens when you turn the key, it's a battery connection issue. However, cranking when you jump it and it won't fire? Sounds like you aren't getting spark to your cylinders. I'd start with fuses and relays under the hood just as you were thinking.

Baddmove
11-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I'm hoping it will be something simple..