PDA

View Full Version : More motor swap questions.

Andrew XJ
11-06-2013, 01:03 AM
I know it would be hard but I know its possible I was just curious about putting a 4bt Cummins in the Cherokee I haven't successfully found a transmission or transfer case that goes with the 4 BT Cummins if anybody happens to know I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not planning on doing this anytime soon just thought it would be something cool to do. because I could probably get transmission and transfer case out of the junkyard for less than a hundred bucks the Cummins itself would be the expensive piece I've seen YouTube videos of 4 BT Cummins Cherokees and it looks like it'd be awesome.
it'd be cool to get your guyses take on this what you think the pros and cons would be. Im not interested in how difficult this is, ill be doing a motor swap in just a couple weeks I'm putting 6bt in a Ford Bronco

oderdene
11-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Our member Chris doing this,

Tranny is a (Ford) Borg Warner T-19, Novac adapter plate, and a (Ford) Dana Spicer D-18 T-case with overdrive. No special gearing on the Dana, it's a road rig, mostly.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7682

4.3LXJ
11-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Better hold the phone on that T18 and D18. He is looking for something else now. The D18 is a passenger side drop

There is a guy on Cherokee Talk that did one and had problems with the weight of the engine. It is 1000# more and ended up cracking the frame. He claims the Mercedes engine is lighter and cheaper to install

cantab27
11-06-2013, 10:24 AM
why put a diesel in a Cherokee.... sorry just gotta ask .....they came out in diesel , buy one of them ........seems like a lot of trouble for not a lot of gain ....v8 it , now we are talking ......not having a go of be smart ass , just pros / cons .....cheers

nickyg
11-06-2013, 10:55 AM
why put a diesel in a Cherokee.... sorry just gotta ask .....they came out in diesel , buy one of them ........seems like a lot of trouble for not a lot of gain ....v8 it , now we are talking ......not having a go of be smart ass , just pros / cons .....cheers

I don't think the diesel was avalable here in the states. At least I never seen one.

XJ Wheeler
11-06-2013, 11:35 AM
They are rare, most likely ones from the Canucks that make their way over.

Haven't seen it done to an xj, but rather a yj... Vw diesel.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

XJ Wheeler
11-06-2013, 11:39 AM
It would seem they actually make a kit for the xj.

http://www.cotybuilt.com/#

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Andrew XJ
11-06-2013, 05:26 PM

the only reason I want to go with a diesel is because I love diesels and it would be cool as shit, I could have just bought a diesel Cherokee but I would have had to pay for importation.

but there is no need to worry I would never replace a running straight 6 with any other motor I love the straight 6 is half the reason I bought the car other than the fact that it looks amazing and it has solid axle.

just curious for the future and I don't want a v8 because that seems like a diesel swap would be more unique

I've heard the 2.8 liter diesel in the liberty is a better motor for a diesel swap but what transmission and transfer case would I need for that?