PDA

View Full Version : Light wiring, ground gauge???

XJMikey
11-04-2013, 05:15 PM
I have 12ga wire for the power feed (battery-relay-lights) and 18ga for the switches... but what size should I use for grounds? I've always matched the power and ground wire gauges, but if I could safely use a smaller gauge, it'd help loosen the grip on my budgets. Lol

prerunner1982
11-04-2013, 05:17 PM
I keep the ground the same gauge as the power wire. However for lights you can normally ground them to the mounts depending on where/how you are mounting them.

XJMikey
11-04-2013, 05:51 PM
I keep the ground the same gauge as the power wire. However for lights you can normally ground them to the mounts depending on where/how you are mounting them.

I'll pickup black 12ga wire. Better safe than sorry.

I think the front bumper lights brackets will ground well, but the ones I'll be mounting to the factory roof rack crossbars I think will need to be remote grounded.

Would it be safe to run my (3) toggle switches off of (1) add-a-circuit?

prerunner1982
11-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I'll pickup black 12ga wire. Better safe than sorry.

I think the front bumper lights brackets will ground well, but the ones I'll be mounting to the factory roof rack crossbars I think will need to be remote grounded.

Would it be safe to run my (3) toggle switches off of (1) add-a-circuit?

If I understand what you mean by "add a circuit" it will depend on the amp rating of the "add-a-circuit" compared to what you want to run on it (total amps of all lights/accessories wired through it).

It is best to use relays and get power directly from the battery.

prerunner1982
11-04-2013, 06:04 PM
If I understand what you mean by "add a circuit" it will depend on the amp rating of the "add-a-circuit" compared to what you want to run on it (total amps of all lights/accessories wired through it).

As an example.. you mentioned 3 switches, so I will assume 2 lights per switch. 6 lights total and say 100 watts per light (could be 55 watts per lights, depends on what kind you have).

100 watts each = 200 watts per switched circuit and 600 watts total load on the "Add-a-circuit". 600 / 12 volts = 50 amps. I would be surprised if the "add-a-circuit" had a 50 amp rating.

XJMikey
11-04-2013, 06:14 PM

It is best to use relays and get power directly from the battery.

I'm going to be running (4) 40amp relays to feed my lights. The add a circuit will be only supplying the power to the switches that trigger the relays. I want full output power from my lights, not the 60% a non-relay, 30amp toggle switch setup would offer.

ATM Add-A-Circuit (same function as Bussmann BP/HHH), ATM Fuse Tap : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Uc1FQC2cL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Uc1FQC2cL

prerunner1982
11-04-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm going to be running (4) 40amp relays to feed my lights. The add a circuit will be only supplying the power to the switches that trigger the relays. I want full output power from my lights, not the 60% a non-relay, 30amp toggle switch setup would offer.

Oh yeah, that will power the switches no problem. I thought you were talking about adding a power distribution block/separate circuit or something along those lines.

Relays take very little current to trip.

XJMikey
11-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Oh yeah, that will power the switches no problem. I thought you were talking about adding a power distribution block/separate circuit or something along those lines.

Relays take very little current to trip.

No crazy add-ons. Just fused switches. Thanks for the help. I can't wait to have everything up and running.