PDA

View Full Version : Track bar adjustment?

silver_xj
11-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Fellow XJer's,

How far off center can the front axle be without causing any problems? My front axle currently sits about a 1/4 -1/2 inch further out on the passenger side. Is that an issue? I've noticed the XJ pulls to that side even after an alignment on Saturday. If I need to adjust it whats the best method? Turn the steering wheel to the side the body needs to go to? In my case, to the right/passenger side? Thanks in advance. :patriot:

4.3LXJ
11-04-2013, 03:55 PM
That is no big deal. If you have a stock track bar, there is no adjustment to them anyway. But you are not by any chance talking about the drag link are you? Since you have a 3" lift, you can relocate the track bar about 3/4" by drilling a new hole for it on the axle mount

silver_xj
11-04-2013, 04:15 PM
I should have mentioned this is the IRO adjustable track bar and lift is now a total of 3.75" :)

4.3LXJ
11-04-2013, 04:15 PM
No reason not to adjust it then

silver_xj
11-04-2013, 04:16 PM
What would cause it to still pull to that side. The pull isn't bad but it shouldn't be there after and alignment.

4.3LXJ
11-04-2013, 04:18 PM
If your axle is tilted forward, negative camber angle, then that would do it. Is this a combination of budget lifts with something else? Short lower suspension links?

silver_xj
11-04-2013, 04:24 PM
The lift is RC Coils, Fixed LCA's, full leaf packs and Rusty's .75 coil spacers and .75 shackles. Alignment was completed after all components settled. Come to think of it, I did drop the LCA on that side when adding the spacers. I learned my lesson and left it in place for the other side though.

silver_xj
11-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Lift info
RC - http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-630x.html
Rusty's - http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-suspension/jeep-coil-springs-spacers-accessories/jeep-xj-cherokee-84-01-mj-comanche-84-91-coil-springs/rustys-spacers-75-poly-xj-tj-zj.html
Rusty's - http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-suspension/jeep-leaf-spring-accessories/jeep-leaf-spring-shackles-lift-shackles/rustys-shackles-xj-75-extended-greasable-pair.html

4.3LXJ
11-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Here is the thing, once you go that 3" magic number, the castor angle is changed dramatically. The axle gets tilted forward. There is a factory offset to the front axle. The passenger side is tilted back relative to the driver side. This is to make the vehicle pull slightly to the right. But when you have a positive castor, the opposite happens. You can tell if this is the case by looking at the coils. If one is bowed and the other isn't, then they are different.

silver_xj
11-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Interesting. That never came up when I was researching lifts. Just drive line angles. Whats the best way to correct the issue? Upper control arms? Also I have a D30 front axle if that makes a difference.

4.3LXJ
11-04-2013, 05:46 PM
There are offset upper ball joints that can bring the right side or left, depending on what your pinion angle looks like. As far as castor angle goes, adjustable lower links would be the ticket I think. Ironman Andy has the best and they are reasonably priced