PDA

View Full Version : Since we don't trash each other on this forum...

Dredwolf
11-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Anybody gotten one of the metal carports and converted it to a shop?

I have been trying to figure out a way to build an economical shop to actually keep working on the XJ during the winter, and get other projects done out of the wind and rain.

Pole buildings are supposed to be economical, but apparently one company rules SC, and their prices are almost in-line with stick-built by a home builder.

I tried doing some research on Garage Journal Forum....and basically felt like I was hanging out on Pirate 4X4, minus the "bird flip smilies" and every thread having some poor new guy getting told he's posting in the wrong thread...many of those guys spent more on their garages than I did for a 2100 sf house.

Anybody got some good ideas to keep me from deciding tonight that I am doomed to die without a shop, because I'll never have $30K in pretty cash laying around?

bigjim350
11-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Friend of mine had one of those carports installed. He had some metal poles set in concrete before they got there. That way he had them fasten the feet of the carport to the poles, to get the carport a little higher. He then screwed metal panels to the sides of the carport.

Dredwolf
11-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Friend of mine had one of those carports installed. He had some metal poles set in concrete before they got there. That way he had them fasten the feet of the carport to the poles, to get the carport a little higher. He then screwed metal panels to the sides of the carport.

Thanks Jim, that is a good idea. I have a tractor and attachments, and can do a lot of the grading prepwork before spending $$ on concrete.

Nothing I decide to build will be wasted, even if something much better is built once the kids are gone....our "2-car attached" is too low to clear my wife's 2003 Explorer, and not even deep enough to allow room to walk in front or behind my '86 Mustang with the door closed.

XJ Wheeler
11-03-2013, 09:40 PM
We built a 10x20 metal building a few years ago for (i believe) around $500. It may not survive a tornado or be real pretty but its got 4x4s for the posts and 2x6s across the roof. Galvanized panels for the sides, roof, and skinned the doors too.

I just can't see why people buy those ready buildings that you still have to build, other than time i guess (not the built ones). They're way overpriced and you still have to do the work. One we recently looked at was $4,000, plus paint, roofing, and flooring. The same size could be done for $1,000-1,500... complete.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

nickyg
11-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Here's my make shift shop. I wrap the sides with a few tarps in the winter when I need a lil shelter from the weather. It looks a lil red-necky, Thats why my wife made put it in the woods. It can't be seen from the road.

prerunner1982
11-03-2013, 09:45 PM
I have thought about doing the same thing myself.....

Dredwolf
11-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Here's my make shift shop. I wrap the sides with a few tarps in the winter when I need a lil shelter from the weather. It looks a lil red-necky, Thats why my wife made put it in the woods. It can't be seen from the road.

That was what I was thinking of starting with, maybe a little larger. Add sides and front and back, and at least have some shelter that I could use a forced air kerosene heater to keep comfortable, and rig some lighting in.

You can't see my house from the road, but my wife does not want anything too.....much like some of my cousins' places. :D

bigjim350
11-03-2013, 10:02 PM
I would for sure go with the bigger one. Just a couple 100 more. Think its 18x21

cantab27
11-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I cheated ....I made friends with people who have shops ...win win .....

Dredwolf
11-03-2013, 10:18 PM
I would for sure go with the bigger one. Just a couple 100 more. Think its 18x21

You guys are an inspiration, that is for sure.

I could start with one of the carports, maybe enclosed on the sides, and I finish the ends...not every door has to be a roll-up.:D

Or....thinking about a concrete block foundation, on footings, to serve eventually as the form for a slab, but in the meantime, add some wall height to one of the steel carports. I could do that footing and block work myself.

Dredwolf
11-03-2013, 10:19 PM
I cheated ....I made friends with people who have shops ...win win .....

:P

bulrid8
11-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Have you looked at the already enclosed carports? They aren't bad. Plus money wise, they set them up and you can make payments if needed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Carves
11-04-2013, 04:53 AM
I tried doing some research on Garage Journal Forum ....

Tis a bit scary poking around GarageJournal without pockets full of snapon tools and the intention to buy a squillion dollars worth of roller toolboxes .. ;);)

Looked at one of those carports a while back ... If you intend enclosing it you might want to do some frame reinforcing as well as concreting it in place.

Ive got a flat roof carport ... and the only reason it hasnt blown away - is coz the wind can go through it as well as over it. ;);)

How much space you got ??. ..... Shipping containers cheap in your neck of the woods ???

This was my plan ... before our little hitlers, in town planning - screwed me over,

Pour a pad,
Drop a 40ft shipping container on either side,
Bang a skillion roof over the top.

Some roller doors in the sides of the containers for better access - and a coat of paint to hide freight logos and you're good to go ..

http://www.portcontainerservices.com.au/images/container_accessories/roller_doors2.jpghttp://www.portcontainerservices.com.au/images/container_accessories/work_bench.jpg

These are common around our mining areas,
... but a flat roof would be more suitable for a private/urban setting ... and easier to fit doors at the ends of the parking area when time/money, allows.

http://www.portcontainerservices.com.au/images/container_shelter-4.jpg

How big do you want to go ???

:D:D

http://www.shippingcontainers.net/images/container_shelters.jpg

You could even add race decking and garage art if ya wanted .. ;);) .. :D:D:D

Dredwolf
11-04-2013, 10:58 AM
You are not kidding, some of those guys toolboxes cost more that all my tools together PLUS the tool boxes, welders, plasma and air compressors.

I looked into conex containers when I got back from overseas, but they wanted $2k for a 20 footer when I checked, plus delivery.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Tapatalk

Dredwolf
11-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Been giving this more thought.....on how to get something at least real soon.

Looking at starting with something like this, 18x21x6

http://www.allsteelcarportsdirect.com/uploads/Carports-Virginia-VA.jpg

Or this, also 18x21x6..

http://www.allsteelcarportsdirect.com/uploads/Carport.jpg

Installed on two courses of concrete block on hand-poured footings might be a cheap start...

bulrid8
11-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Last one will give you less side walls to enclose, since it wraps down some.

Dredwolf
11-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Last one will give you less side walls to enclose, since it wraps down some.

Good point, they calculate the leg height differently on the rounded ones. If I can figure the leg height with the wrap to leave basically 8ft open, 4x8 sheets will make closing it in easier. These things seem to come in odd lengths though...

cantab27
11-04-2013, 10:00 PM
im lucking ,,my jeeps don't brake

Dredwolf
11-04-2013, 10:50 PM
im lucking ,,my jeeps don't brake

Yep, we've seen the videos, you don't use brakes much at all....

And they're usually under water/mud anyway :smiley-laughing021:

Dredwolf
11-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Yep, we've seen the videos, you don't use brakes much at all....

And they're usually under water/mud anyway :smiley-laughing021:

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/5247/dg6t.jpg

No need for brakes :P

cantab27
11-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Photoshop........

cpttuna
11-05-2013, 07:53 AM
when I go to the flea market every year, There is always one business there that sells the fittings to form your own canopy. I would think you could make a shop on the cheap and set your poles in concrete for stability.

nickyg
11-05-2013, 11:46 AM
when I go to the flea market every year, There is always one business there that sells the fittings to form your own canopy. I would think you could make a shop on the cheap and set your poles in concrete for stability.

Thats what I use to use, before I came across my carport. (House foreclosed in my neighborhood I grabbed it before the owner bugged out) You use electrical conduit for the poles. I set my legs in a bucket and filled it with sand.

NW99XJ
11-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Depending on how "cheap" you want to go......
The 10 Ft. X 17 Ft. "Portable Garage" from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-69039.html) might suit your needs some.
Prob about as cheap as you can get.... $199
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_20622.jpg

I've seen em for as little as $189 too...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlCwUBF0IZXxrfQDPibubfScoL4OsIW D9kAyARxQuixKo_PLen

Now if you're willing to spend a bit more, there IS a company online that deals exclusively with "portable garages"
They called Shelters Of America (http://www.sheltersofamerica.com/)... (MURRICA!)

Their stuff appears to be a bit better constructed and have a TON of options and upgrades:
https://www.sheltersofamerica.com/products/product2bf53fd138186ffc06c64732c688de55.jpg
The one pictured above for instance ranges from $465 to $990 depending on the material (9oz or 21oz respectively) ...and u could upgrade to 28' long for an additional $190.
Shipping for the above unit to Oregon for instance was only a couple hundred bucks.
(You could prob save a ton of money of you found a company like this in your home town or close by.)

They offer hard sided structures as well (kits i'm sure) ...but I would imagine this would be much more expensive.
But I think for less than $1500....done and installed, set up, and ready to use, you could have one hell of a "temporary garage"

redneck999
11-05-2013, 08:46 PM
I went with the one above 12x21 9ft high. Didn't want to raise my taxes so i cheated. I had blocks set in ground and leveled, put 4x4s across the top of them and rod anchored them through the bricks. company came out and installed 675.00$ three mexican guys came out and were done in 1hr 58mins. Amazing! I insulated mine with foam board. I had an estimate for spray on insul and it was 700.00 (choke) the company installed their own lag bolts and with that i got a lifetime warranty against wind or tornado removal.

redneck999
11-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Sorry like this.

Dredwolf
11-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Photoshop........

Right...........:rolleyes:

Dredwolf
11-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Sorry like this.

Thinking about something like that , on concrete blocks. Not sure yet what to do about a hard floor for it, I am outta driveway.

4.3LXJ
11-05-2013, 10:27 PM
I think that would be a great start. A little cross bracing and tie it down good before adding siding and you would have it

Dredwolf
11-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Didn't want to raise my taxes so i cheated. I had blocks set in ground and leveled, put 4x4s across the top of them and rod anchored them through the bricks.

Did you use the 4x4's as the floor? I was considering building a concrete block "foundation" to anchor it and gain some height, and maybe to serve as a form for a concrete slab to be poured at a later date.

I just don't have 12-16k to put into a garage right now, but I am watching project vehicles leak $$ as the rain, wind and cold will keep me from finishing them this winter

Dredwolf
11-06-2013, 11:53 AM
And sorry if this double posted

redneck999
11-08-2013, 08:39 PM
The 4x4s were there just to anchor the frame too and it wouldnt be considered a permanent foundation since its on blocks(used 2ft anchors through blocks) filled the inside with chip gravel and swept couple of buckets of sand over it. as it works in i just sweep more on and eventually if i want concrete i can pour on top.