PDA

View Full Version : Lift advise.....

NutnButnXJ
11-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Ok, first of all HELLO and thanks for all the feed back with my tire question..

I'm looking at a couple options here as far as lift. I'm torn between leaving her stock (with new shocks) or a 2 to 3 inch lift. I will be eventually leaving NC and moving to Colorado, but work in ND. So snow and at times terrain may come into play, especially the snow. I know I don't want to go with more than 31's. My original plan was to push the 30's (Grabbers ATZ) under the wells and eventually put a budget 2" lift. Being one not wanting to waste money. My thought is, if I put the 30's under now, will I wish later for the 31's. Knowing myself, probably! I know for sure, going any more than 31's won't be an issue. So I'd rather just put one size on now and be done with it! For a daily rider, my thoughts are either the 30's or 31's at best. This being, for mechanical, wear and tear reasons only. I don't want to have to replace ball joints every three to six months give or take etc... With all this said, I'm reaching out to all you guys and gals for advise to the XJ newbie, but I'm learning fast. I'm looking at Rusty's 3" lift ($438), but question the shocks that come with inexpensive kit. Then there's the Budget 3 " lift with emu shocks, existing springs by Rocky Road Outfitters ($299). My existing system seems to be ok at best with no sag, but either way, I want new shocks. I'm going to enclose a photo so you all can see and possible make a better assessment. Now, I'm sure there are other reasonable lifts in these price ranges. If you can keep it simple and give me your opinion about the two I've presented, great! If you feel, these aren't a good long term investment, then just shoot it too me scraight! Thanks ahead of time, for the advance advice and making me glad I chose XJ Talk. For some fun and adventure and good advise. Sorry this question is so long.

bigjim350
11-03-2013, 10:04 AM
3" with 31's is a good combo. Not real familiar with either of those lifts. But I know rusty's shocks are okay, but old man emu's are really good. My question is, how is the rear gonna be lifted with those kits? If its with a add-a-leaf, then the rear will start to sag overtime and you will lose your lift height. If its blocks, then you will eventually damage your leafs and have bad axle wrap. If its shackles then that would be just fine. Best would be new rear leafs, but at those prices im sure it doesnt come with them.

4.3LXJ
11-03-2013, 10:13 AM
3" lift and 31s is probably the best bang for your buck. Full leaf packs are better as Jim said. I am not sold on the grabbers though. I can just about guarantee those tires will be like drag slicks in the snow and ice.

altonamud
11-03-2013, 10:20 AM
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-670x.html
346 bucks. I have there 6.5" long arm.
I have installed ALLOT of lift kits. I dont see the difference between kits, the only difference would be in like the LONG arm lifts(tube material and thickness).
IMO rough country is a great product.
I think you should consider going with there 3" series II
They stand behind there products.

Brasscatz
11-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Yep, go at least 3". Personally, anything less would feel way too stock and you won't notice a difference. BUT, that may not be true for you. Mine has 3" and looks pretty darn stock compared to bigger Jeeps. There's a general rule of thumb... go as high as you want to go first, because if you go 2" you'll want it higher :D Hell, I'm going 4.5" soon from my 3" but I got lucky to piece together my lifts with the help of great friends and parts they were willing to sell to me cheap/give to me that they didn't want.

NutnButnXJ
11-03-2013, 11:03 AM
From what you're saying, sounds as if "3" is the meal ticket at this point! Rusty's 3" setup comes with new Springs front and rear, UBolts and 4 Nitro Shocks all for $438. Just not sure of the quality of these shocks. The Rocky Road setup comes with Blocks 3" under the front Coil Springs and large rear shackles for the rear leaf springs and four EMU shocks, which is the most appealing part, beside the lift of this set up. Now, after hearing your input. I'm thinking the first "Rusty's" setup maybe more bang for the buck, since I'm getting new Leaf and Coil. I guess since those will already be established, I can put better shocks, if needed at a later date. I really don't want to go much higher than the $450 on lift. Now, if you all have any other outfitters with similar $'s, I'm all ears. As for the grabbers, thats not a done deal! I just like the way the whole tire looks and yes, I've done research and like any product, its good and bad. What does everyone think of the Pro-Comp tires? I like this combo as well, just not sure of quality and life expectancy? If I'm going to 31's then I can even look at the BFG's, they seem to have a lot of great reviews. Look forward to the input.

altonamud
11-03-2013, 11:07 AM
How much offroading are you planning on doing?
Why dont you go with a bastard pack lift?

NutnButnXJ
11-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Heres a photo of the kit offered through Rusty's. Let me know your thoughts?
rk-300sp-xj_5.jpg

NutnButnXJ
11-03-2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/k/rk-300sp-xj_5.jpg

Not sure if you can get photo, heres the link to photo

NutnButnXJ
11-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Not sure about the off road-ing, but would like to have something basic, just in case. Never know who I will meet once I'm working out in North Dakota and living in Colorado. Better to be somewhat prepared, then not prepared at all!

4.3LXJ
11-03-2013, 11:36 AM
You will need a track bar, or relocation bracket to add to it

altonamud
11-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Cant you squeeze 31's under with no lift?
Mine had 30's under it with no lift when i got it.

What tire size do you want to run? 33's or 35's

Tha_Rookie123
11-03-2013, 11:45 AM
I agree. I had a 3 inch rough country lift on 31 inch mud terrains and used it as my daily driver and it was a gem. That lift kit was definitely worth it

altonamud
11-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Will you be happy with 31's?

07Negative
11-03-2013, 02:40 PM
I would do a Rusty's lift over the Chinese made ones. Rusty's doesn't make their own shocks. They work fine. They're quite soft. They just don't last long. You'll need brake lines, a new track bar, & sway bar links.

bigjim350
11-03-2013, 05:06 PM
In my opinion, your stock trackbar will be fine, may just offset your axle a little bit. And Im on 6.5" of lift with stock brake lines. My lift kit did come with some relocation brackets for the break lines, but you can build your own if they actually are needed. Oh and if you decide to go with a rough country lift you will want different shocks. My newest set from them only lasted 6 months.

altonamud
11-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Get them to warranty your shocks.

bigjim350
11-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Get them to warranty your shocks.

Tried. They said "no"

XJ Wheeler
11-03-2013, 09:18 PM
I agree on the 31s. If you haven't already check out the bfg all terrains and goodyear wrangler duratrac. The goodyear has nothing but good reviews and a winter rating. I can personally attest to the bfg's snow traction abilities, although on a 1-ton dually instead of a jeep.

On the lift. Again i agree on the 3". Its a more common size with more offerings available, especially kits that don't just give you some spacers and blocks or shackles. So, yes new coils and leafs are the best route for years of reliable service. But what company sells a better kit is a guessing game unless someone has studied with all of them. My experience is limited. I own a Rubicon Express kit and its great quality, a bit stiff though. I have gotten a product from Rustys, not a lift but a skid plate, and wasn't impressed. Customer service is none existent in my case and the product wasn't thought through very well. I have never purchased anything from rough country but several on here have and review them well... with a few exceptions like trackbars bending.

At 3" you can try remounting your front brake line brackets but may still need new lines. Depends on how much you're flexing. If you never disconnect the front swaybar you should be fine though. The mounting hole for the axle side of the trackbar can be moved by drilling a new hole that positions the axle center under the front end.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bigjim350
11-03-2013, 09:35 PM
You'll be fine on stock brake lines. Here is a pic of my flexed almost as much as it can go. This is on stock relocated brake lines. The rubber lines still had more room to go as well.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/bigjim350/20131102_115351_zps32d16a91.jpg

XJ Wheeler
11-03-2013, 09:45 PM
You'll be fine on stock brake lines. Here is a pic of my flexed almost as much as it can go. This is on stock relocated brake lines. The rubber lines still had more room to go as well.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/bigjim350/20131102_115351_zps32d16a91.jpg

Its really a case by case thing. I've seen members have 6" lift and not need em but my brothers '90 has a 3" lift and he relocated the lines and still can't droop fully because they're too short. He's planning on getting some soon. I've looked at it myself and agree.

NutnButnXJ
11-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Wow, so much information and now what to do with it. I plan on doing all the work myself. After taking in all the great advice, I've decided to with the 3" lift with new coil and leaf springs. The kit as shown in my earlier post comes from Rusty's. Now, my uneducated opinion and question would be; Aren't most coil springs and leaf springs pretty close in quality and strength? If this is the case, then these shocks that come with the kit I feel will be my only obstacle, possibly in 3, 6 or 12 months. Hell, who knows, maybe longer or shorter??? AS far as flexing, off-road etc? At this point, probably not that much. Later, possible, thats why I want a very small start and reasonably priced with quality. I'm going more for the looks part along with a little versatility at best. I love the vehicle and just want it to look good when I'm behind the wheel. Jeeps are awesome anyway, so I want to add some me into the equation. I have a Harley and did the same thing. I will put a photo of my Harley to show you what I did to it and plan on little by little dropping coin into the old XJ. So, with that said, I've decided on the 3 " plus I'm going to switch and go with the BFG's. Now there has been mixed opinions about relocating brake lines, track bar and sway bar. i don't want to buy this kit, then dump another 3 or 4 hundred in unforeseen little things. That will suck! So, it seems the majority say with a 3 " lift, I will not have to really do much of anything except after I'm through, put my 31's on it mounted on new rims. More suggestions or opinions are always welcome? Again thanks

4.3LXJ
11-04-2013, 09:40 AM
You won't need brake lines on the 3". I ran one for about 5 years on and off road with no brake line problems. But, if you go taller than that, yes you will need new ones. I ran the stock track bar, but had a slight off set. No biggie. But on a low lift like that, you can drill new holes in the bracket and be good to go

NutnButnXJ
11-04-2013, 11:08 AM
I think I remember someone else mentioning drilling holes in the bracket. Maybe it was you? What bracket you referring to? You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you? Thanks

4.3LXJ
11-04-2013, 12:31 PM
No pic. It is the axle bracket for the track bar. Just figure out how much you need to shift and drill straight. Drill the first hole, insert the track bar, line up the bushing to the hole and drill the rear hole.

NutnButnXJ
11-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Now is this a definite fix or just something I MAY have to do by adding the lift? Do I need to drop the transfer case with a 1" drop kit?

4.3LXJ
11-04-2013, 01:22 PM
You won't have to. I never did. It depends on how much axle offset you are willing to live with. As far as the tcase drop, you should be able to not have to do that. Since you are not using a shackle extension, the pinion angle should be OK. If you have any driveline vibrations, we can address that later, which is how it always works for everyone

NutnButnXJ
11-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Ok, just so I somewhat understand. If I go with a 3" lift, best to go with the new Springs all the way around? Shouldn't be no vibration, or shouldn't have to relocate brake lines? If I do, its a pretty easy move? Other than buying everything and installation, Its pretty straight forward and everyone likes one place or the other as far as lifts, shocks, tires etc? Even though, for the most part everyone is pretty darn close to everything as a whole. If I've left anything out short of where the heck will I keep coming up with money to pursue this project. I'm all ears. I feel broke and haven't bought the first piece yet! Lol!!! Same way I felt with my harley project, which I will post a photo if anyones interested? Again, thanks

Brasscatz
11-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Ok, just so I somewhat understand. If I go with a 3" lift, best to go with the new Springs all the way around? Shouldn't be no vibration, or shouldn't have to relocate brake lines? If I do, its a pretty easy move? Other than buying everything and installation, Its pretty straight forward and everyone likes one place or the other as far as lifts, shocks, tires etc? Even though, for the most part everyone is pretty darn close to everything as a whole. If I've left anything out short of where the heck will I keep coming up with money to pursue this project. I'm all ears. I feel broke and haven't bought the first piece yet! Lol!!! Same way I felt with my harley project, which I will post a photo if anyones interested? Again, thanks

Yep, that sounds correct. Here's another tip... depending on which manufacturer you go with for your lift kit, check out our vendors on here because a few of them sell the kits and usually at a discount, or they have a discount code for xjtalk. Also, I've purchased a few things here and there from RC and they give a discount for xjtalk directly thorugh them if you call them, but the catch is that you have to take pics of their product installed on your Jeep, post it up in a thread here, send them the link, then they will reimburse you 10%. But hey, discount is a discount!

If there's anything you've forgotten or need to purchase after, there are several junkyard parts you can use.
And yes, pics of the Harley would be sweet :D

XJ Wheeler
11-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Thinking on the brake lines more i do doubt you'll need new ones because you won't be replacing the lower control arms.

nikonfan
11-09-2013, 12:39 AM
I went with the kumho kl-78 at, in a 30x9.50 (load range c) @125 each. They clean out better in mud and deep snow than the bfg at, with a lil more road noise. I don't see a lot of rock over here in Grand forks,N.D. tho. I see more snow than I care to.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk