PDA

View Full Version : Ax-15 questions & help.

Cjsmithfl
11-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Okay I have two issues going on currently I think I'm on the right track so far with my diagnosis but I'm just looking for any other options or thoughts from the guru's.

Issue #1) I have what I like to call a clutch chattering when the clutch is being engaged (going under load) it shake's the whole jeep, mostly in first gear or when down shifting from higher gears to lower gears. I think it has to due with the pilot bearing. I recently replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing the pilot was the one part I didn't replace mostly because at the time I was under the impression most of my issues were the pressure plate. The flywheel looked really good and it's only had about 78k on it. The jeep did have this issue prior to the install and I've double checked the torque on all the bolts.
I have also replaced all the u-joints.

Issue #2) I'm thinking this could be a clutch master cylinder issue or slave issue. If I'm in heavy traffic or just on the clutch frequently I notice what seems to be a "clutch fade" (only term I can think of to call it) it seems like the clutch petal engagement and disengagement was reduced. Almost like I have an internal leak between the master cylinder or slave cylinder. The clutch fluid is full and I removed the boot on the slave and looked at is and it's dry. Maybe I got some air in the system somehow ? If I wait a few moments it goes back to normal though.

Sorry if any of this was confusing its kinda hard explaining things via text so I'm trying to explain it the best I can.

-Chris

4.3LXJ
11-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Chris, did you have the flywheel surfaced when you replaced the clutch? If not, that is most likely the cause of the chattering. The clutch engagement problem is likely the master cylinder needing replacing.

Cjsmithfl
11-03-2013, 11:47 AM
No I left the fly wheel alone there weren't any heat spots and it seemed in really good shape. That is something I'm going to do when I pull it apart again to do the pilot bearing.

EricT93
11-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Flywheels can be decieving, I had similar issues to what youre experiencing, and when I replaced my ax15 I bought a new flywheel, and it solved all the problems.

Cjsmithfl
11-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks, I'm going to get the trans. back out of it Friday and see what happens. Hopefully I can find a machine shop around here to resurface it, if not I'm just going order a new one.