PDA

View Full Version : Questions- one jeep one motorcycle for family.

jaysXJ
10-30-2013, 06:48 PM
When I bought my jeep a few years ago, I had no problems with transportation. Now, I commute about 25 miles daily to the airport and 25 miles back for work.
I've recently gotten married and welcomed my son into the world. My wife had a car when we first got married, but we decided to move to Florida from NC and we thought it best if we sold her car and got her one down there. After working about 6 months in construction with a job I had set up in Fl before I moved, I had managed to just keep paying bills and not saving much. My wife did not work while she was pregnant in FL, so getting her a car was put on hold. I was out of work for 3 months in FL before I decided it be best that me and my family move back to NC where we had a place to stay meanwhile I got a job. Sadly, in those 3 months in living in FL i burned through savings, including my wife's car money.

now, onto the conundrum.

With driving 50 miles daily to work and back, I'm contemplating the idea of getting a motorcycle as my primary means of travel and let my wife drive the jeep around whenever she needs to. We have decided it would be best if my wife takes a year off of work to care for our newborn.

Is this a bad idea? I fully intend to use the motorcycle as my primary means of travel, I don't do much driving around besides work and back. Bikes run in the family, and my Father assures me that it won't be a hassle, he had a similar situation when he was my age. I figured with the much lower cost in fuel and maintenance, not to mention the cost of the motorcycle, it would be a better idea than to drive another 5 seater to work and back and burning through money that way. I've already received a quote for the cost of a motorcycle as far as insurance goes, and it's very manageable. I've wanted a bike for a while and am somewhat convinced it would be a better idea.

thoughts?

nickyg
10-30-2013, 07:43 PM
I live about 30 Min from G-town, I know a few people that use a motorcycle as a primary vehicle. And a few that use a scooter. It's very economical. but sucks when we get a downpour. Do you still work at CLT? There's a few people you can carpool with.

07Negative
10-30-2013, 08:48 PM
I've been riding since 1986. Grew up in a MC house. I'm bike less now. But plan on getting another one. I say it's a no brainier with a few factors. Take out a life insurance policy. I don't care how good of a rider you are. Most ppl drive like shit and have no business behind the wheel. Make sure the wife is 100% comfortable w the ideal. 2 bikes to really consider would be a KLR650. It's a thumper bike that you can put 100,000 miles on with very little fuss. You should be able to perform all the maintainence on it. Cheap as shit to buy used. Upgradable like an XJ.
I rode the new Triumph Tiger XC. It's expensive if you're talking new. But it is a badass bike. Both bikes get killer MPG. Something like 40-55 depending on your throttle. The KLR is not a fast bike. It barely can get out of its own way. The Triumph moves but not like that of a liter bike. I've had a KLR. I really liked it. With hard cases on bothe sides and on the rear rack. I could carry about 3 pretty full bags of groceries, a 6 pack, and a passenger. Tho I didn't like riding 2up on a KLR. Not enough power for the weight. The new Triumph is the bees knees if you can swing the coin. Plenty of power, better ABS than BMW's. not too heavy. Comfortable as heck. I love the looks of it. I'm just poor.

Floridajeepcherokee
10-31-2013, 01:37 AM
I had a Gsxr
at one time. There were times I owned a bike only. However Florida isn't as cold as N.C. Winter is approaching. Florida didn't require bike insurance until u get in a crash. It's normal to get pulled over here on a bike and u don't have to have insurance. It's not necessary a good idea. In the event u cause damage then your dl can be taken. There were times I didn't have insurance and was legal. I had insurance on my 750 GSXR but not my smaller and slower bike. Gsxr was financed though.

jaysXJ
10-31-2013, 01:55 AM
do you work at CLT, Nicky?

Brasscatz
10-31-2013, 06:50 AM
Whether or not it's a bad idea is completely in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure you already know the pros and cons of driving a bike every day, so we con't get into that. Deejay is right on the life insurance idea, but anybody with a wife and or child should have life insurance. Luckily it's fairly cheap at under $12/month usually.

Now, I've been in a very similar situation. My wife took a year off from her old paying job to go through student teaching in order to complete her teaching certification. Our only income was mine. It was VERY hard and we did have to borrow money a time or two but we made it and oh man was it worth it. You have to budget budget budget, get rid of all unnecessary expenses like Netflix and gym memberships, and know EXACTLY where all of your money is going at all times.

As for the bike, if that's the best course of action, go for it. They can be very economical. But you have to do your research and get the best bike for the job. Some bikes don't get any better mileage than Volvo and to be able to justify a bike you may have to end up settling on a 250cc Honda Rebel instead of a Road King. Heck... I've seen some 125cc street legal dirt bikes for $1000 or less that would work wonderfully.

The key is function over form right now. You can get stylish later on, but you won't regret it in the long run.

nickyg
10-31-2013, 07:55 AM
do you work at CLT, Nicky?

Yup, I live up in the huntersville area. I work with quite a few people that live in the gastonia/ kings mt. area. I'm sure we could arrange a car pool if you need it. I think there is even a C.A.T.S van (charlotte area transit system) That runs from the Gaston mall to CLT.

OrangeXJ
10-31-2013, 08:22 AM
If all goes well saturday I will be trading the buggy

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/Picture298_zps4d1eaf4a.jpg (http://s335.photobucket.com/user/GregKnowles/media/Picture298_zps4d1eaf4a.jpg.html)

for this HD 07 Road Glide

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m470/GregKnowles/bike_zps5ddf92ba.png (http://s335.photobucket.com/user/GregKnowles/media/bike_zps5ddf92ba.png.html)

I have only got 1 quote for ins and it is expensive full coverage $1200 a year
liability and un insured motorist $635/year and liability only $235/year. But I'm still shopping around.