PDA

View Full Version : Why no aftermarket, beefier drag link?

Mudderoy
10-29-2013, 03:34 AM
Other than the 1 ton steering upgrade option I don't see an upgrade to the stock drag link. I mean sure Moog makes a replacement drag link but it looks the same as the stock one.

What am I missing here. Is my next logical step to move to 1 ton steering? I'm asking because I'd really like to move that RC tie rod off my 98 and move it to the 03 TJ and put Ironman's tough tie rod on my 98.

I'm afraid I'll get the beefy tie rod only to find out that I'm buying a 1 ton steering upgrade later.

bluedragon436
10-29-2013, 05:19 AM
There isn't one cause Andy hasn't made one yet!!! You know that would be the best and beffiest drag link you could find if he made one!!! Not to mention having the front end being primarily Andy's stuff, might be the only part left of the 98 after a few trips to teh trails!!!

4.3LXJ
10-29-2013, 10:37 AM
There is a reason there isn't one. It is the curve in the end of the drag link that goes around the sway bar bracket on the axle. All these one ton conversions use existing parts that have been "reassigned" . No one has put up the bucks to make a mold and buy the first 10K parts to do this. Personally, I would hold off on that and go a different route. Use the WJ knuckles and then put a 1 ton tie rod on that over the knuckle. But you wold still have to relocate the drag link upward. I saw one the other day and it had the bracket directly under the coil bucket. So you would still have some fabrication there.

Mudderoy
10-29-2013, 10:37 AM
There isn't one cause Andy hasn't made one yet!!! You know that would be the best and beffiest drag link you could find if he made one!!! Not to mention having the front end being primarily Andy's stuff, might be the only part left of the 98 after a few trips to teh trails!!!

I asked him about why no ironman draglink a couple of years ago, he said he's never seen one bend. (If I am remembering correctly) So maybe I'm worried about nothing. Wouldn't be the first time.

4.3LXJ
10-29-2013, 10:40 AM
I agree with him

XJ Wheeler
10-29-2013, 09:33 PM
From memory i believe its solid, not hollow like the tierod. So, i too think its probably adequate till you get into the range of needing a more heavy duty gearbox, box mounting, and tierod anyways. 35s would be my assumption.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

07Negative
10-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Ruff Stuff does. But welding the bungs has to be done. It's not just plug & play. I'm working on my steering as well. I have to agree with Steve again. The WJ knuckles allow you to do cross over steering/ high steer. You won't have to worry about the tie rod rolling, creating that dead spot.
The problem I'm having is that my XJ is also my DD. so to take the appropriate time to mock up a setup and buy/fab the parts puts me in a hard spot. You're up there in lift too. So doing a crossover steering setup makes alotta sense for folks like us.

Dredwolf
10-30-2013, 09:53 PM
I recently looked at the WJ knuckles too, and while it's appealing, I'm not thrilled about fabricating a new track bar mount to cope with the conversion just yet.

I guess the other option would be the Currie set-up?

XJ Wheeler
10-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Not sure if they still make it but Teraflex makes a hi-steer as well. Don't like the links but i bet you could just get rest.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

07Negative
10-31-2013, 12:00 AM
The Currie setup would defeat the purpose and way over priced. You could just purchase the track bar brackets. The materials from Ruff Stuff are quite cheap. And yes Teraflex does have a steering system. Steve runs it w their knuckle. It looks great. I'm still on the fence on heims or tie rod ends.

olds-cool
11-02-2013, 08:21 PM
The Currie setup would defeat the purpose and way over priced. You could just purchase the track bar brackets. The materials from Ruff Stuff are quite cheap. And yes Teraflex does have a steering system. Steve runs it w their knuckle. It looks great. I'm still on the fence on heims or tie rod ends.

I've heard rumors that heims are not legal for steering if you use yours for on road driving. Maybe that's just the wonderful state of PA. I'm not 100% sure as I've never really looked into it that much. Simply throwing it out there as something you may want to check out before ordering parts. I would think they would make a much better replacement than tie rods but I'm not an engineer so what the heck do I know?
As for the tierod roll thing, I saw a few days ago that JCR offers poly bushings that replace the boot. They are supposed to minimize roll on the inverted T steering that we have from the factory. Check em out here (http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/STR/PLYBSH.html)