PDA

View Full Version : Cooler thoughts will prevail

2fastjeep
10-29-2013, 12:27 AM
Hi all

Well I've been kicking around some cooling ideas about my jeep and wanted to see what you all think.

So about a few months ago, back when average temp in Phoenix was 120+ I installed a 3 core radiator, a koolflow pump, and a rs performance 180* thermostat. Plus hoses belt and flush. Now all of this did help a lot. lately I've noticed on my autometer direct water temp gauge that anytime it's under 1600 rpm the temps start to rise, over that rpm temps go down. So my long awaited question is if there is any pully upgrade ether bought or jy I could put on to get the pump to turn faster? And if I could find such pully doses anyone out there think this would be a bad idea?

Thanks as always for any positive input

Sent from my GS3 via tapatalk

Brasscatz
10-29-2013, 06:51 AM
What temps are you seeing?

Well, they do make a high-flow water pump that is pretty darn expensive, but I don't think that would help in your case. You don't want the coolant moving so fast through your motor that it doesn't have time to cool it. Now, we've had several people on here find that the stock radiators cool our Jeeps much better than 3-core aftermarket ones, but you could be different.

The thermostat won't aid in keeping your engine cooler, only keep it at cooler temps longer. Winter time (which I know your winters are mild) will take longer to warm up enough for the heater to be hot.

Where I think your problem lies is your fan. Your mechanical fan clutch could be slipping and not spinning it fast enough to pull enough air through your radiator. You can go to AutoZone and get a HD fan clutch or even a Grand Cherokee fan clutch and your mech fan will spin faster at lower rpm's.

Your other options would be to do the Taurus fan upgrade to pull more air, or to cut vents in your hood (I would personally do the others before cutting into your hood)

Here's a few links for you
http://www.hesco.us/products/7967/high-flow-water-pumps/45086/1987-2001-jeep-cherokee-and-comanche-high-flow-water-pump-hf58-455#.Um-fL3CmhfA

this is a GC fan clutch, but you might need to double check fitment
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Fan-Clutch/_/N-93xna?filterByKeyWord=fan+clutch&fromString=search

Thread showing the GC fan clutch
http://xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1587

Thread showing the Taurus Fan upgrade
http://xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8001

Thread showing easy hood vents
http://xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2033

The Overheating Thread... tons of good info in here
http://xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=544

2fastjeep
10-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Sorry list all of my cooling mods from this summer. I've cut holes in the back of the hood, have the HD grand cherokee fan clutch on made a custom fan shroud extention to get the blade in more of a tunnel. I do agree with you that the mechanical fan is lame no matter what I do to help it. It just seems like my flowkooler pump likes a little faster speeds. I guess my next option is to try the taurus fan

4.3LXJ
10-29-2013, 10:53 AM
There is a high flow water pump mentioned which would probably do it for you. They are designed to move more water at idle. If you do the taurus fan, make a good shroud for it. Mine will cool my engine, although not a 4.0l, it doesn't need the efan in hot weather. The only time the aux fan comes on is when I am pulling a long hill at with it floor boarded. I have a thread in the how to section on making the shroud

Mudderoy
10-29-2013, 10:59 AM
I think I might research an electric water pump.

Brasscatz
10-29-2013, 01:09 PM
What temps are you running? How high does it get?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

XJ Wheeler
10-29-2013, 09:37 PM

There isn't one. I've looked, and hoped for one. I would like to take that pull off the belt system but then there's the risk of it not working... you know how electrical stuff is. :rolleyes:

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

XJ Wheeler
10-29-2013, 09:39 PM
There is a high flow water pump mentioned which would probably do it for you. They are designed to move more water at idle. If you do the taurus fan, make a good shroud for it. Mine will cool my engine, although not a 4.0l, it doesn't need the efan in hot weather. The only time the aux fan comes on is when I am pulling a long hill at with it floor boarded. I have a thread in the how to section on making the shroud

The flowkooler pump he already has is one of the two "performance" pumps available for the 4.0l. (That research i did a while back finally pays off :D )

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Carves
10-29-2013, 10:10 PM
RHD 4.0l TJs, and I guess, Grands - have a different sized pulley on the water pump.
If ... I can find the one Ive got laying around here somewhere ... I'll measure up the diameter difference.

A lot of the 4.0l XJs cooling problem is that the components are only just good enough to get the job done in near perfect conditions i.e. ... grocery getting in up to 80*f ambient temps.

Undersized fans, inadequate fan shroud depth, and probably, too little coolant capacity would be the main issues IMHO.

Speeding up the flow of eth-gly works well in chiller systems with constant pipe diameters and stuff .. . but a twisty turny car engine, cooling gallery, is likely to, maybe have some cavitation and hot spot issues ?? ...

There isn't one. I've looked, and hoped for one.

(That research i did a while back finally pays off :D )

:ass: .. :smiley-taunt002: ..... :D:D ..... :smiley-scared003:

Here ya go ... and fitted to XJs,
.... a bloke on NAXJA or JeepForum has one he fitted during the product testing stage ... and a bloke down here has one and swears by it - altho he also has a V8 conversion with a different cooling system/capacity.

clicky click --> http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electric_Water_Pumps-list.aspx

Even if it is a winner tho .... I tend to agree with this ...

I would like to take that pull off the belt system but then there's the risk of it not working... you know how electrical stuff is. :rolleyes:

2fastjeep
10-30-2013, 02:24 AM
If I'm above 35mph it's at 190 on the auto meter gauge (pickup is in the heater hose loop) an middle of the stock gauge. At idle in park after about 20 min it goes to 220 on the am gauge and 210 on the stock. I'm just concerned once I get on the slow trails of keeping it under 210 at most wold like to be able to keep it below 190 in park. Mabe this is turning into my xj pipe dream :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Carves
10-30-2013, 06:45 AM
At idle in park after about 20 min it goes to 220 on the am gauge and 210 on the stock.

Thats sounds more like its probably/possibly, a dying fanclutch ... altho mine will still trigger the aux fan for a coupla minutes to bring the temp down ... after 20 or 30 min extended idle or lotsa 4x4Lo.

I'm just concerned once I get on the slow trails of keeping it under 210 at most wold like to be able to keep it below 190 in park. Mabe this is turning into my xj pipe dream :-)

... below 190* in park with extended idling times ... might take some doing .. ;);)

Brasscatz
10-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Those temps aren't too bad at all. Carves brought up my next question: Does your electric fan come on once you hit ~218*?

2fastjeep
10-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Fan dose kick in at about 218 I just don't like running above 200, the jeep has better power when it's cooler

2fastjeep
10-31-2013, 11:54 PM
Well today just b4 taking the kids candy hunting I wired up a efan aux on switch with a spare relay and switch I had. We'll see over the week how it helps.

bigjim350
11-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Fan dose kick in at about 218 I just don't like running above 200, the jeep has better power when it's cooler

The Jeep should run its best and have its best fuel efficiency at around 210 since thats what its designed to run at.

BlueXJ
11-01-2013, 11:33 AM

My experience is that they were designed for short runs as in dragstrip use, but there may be a long term use for electric pumps now that were not available a few years ago.

4.3LXJ
11-01-2013, 12:13 PM
X2. They are not a permanent long term solution. They were designed for the 1/4 mile, and turned off for the run

xj4life2
11-01-2013, 12:18 PM
With the AUX fan wired so you can control it you should have no more issues along with all the other things you have done. The BIGGEST mod I did to mine was the aux fan switch and highly recommend it to all. I also agree that an elec water pump would not be an alternative in this situation.

bigjim350
11-01-2013, 03:41 PM
I have ran a few different electric water pumps on chevy motors that were street driven. They always did very well and kept the motor much cooler than a mech pump. However a mech pump will flow more coolant at very high rpms. But a 4.0 isnt a high rpm motor so it would probably be fine.

2fastjeep
11-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Well already the aux fan switch is a great little mod. I can keep the temp below 190 while waiting at Walmart for the wife (if only I could keep my temp low while waiting at walyworld) however the average day temps lately have been a freezing 80. We'll have to wait until summer returns to see how it holds up.