PDA

View Full Version : Oil burning?

xj94
10-23-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm loosing about 2 qts. a week with no visible leaks and the exhaust pipe has alot of soot build up but the jeep isn't smoking.I changed the oil and a day later it was extremely black and rough starts in the morning currently using about 4 gts of 15w40 and about 2 qts of marvel additive.Im also getting that crackling sound on acceleration so i seafoan through one of the vac lines and put the rest into the fuel tank still no change.Has about 190k on it also has what seems to be a miss fire but no CEL runs and idle a little choppy

Things done so far.

.cleaned crankcase vents
.replaced both pcv. one close to front of car vents to air
.pcv close to fire wall bored out with larger hose and larger valve in intake manifold, recently switched back to oem intake valve cause larger one was sucking in too much oil
.replaced IAC
.new valve cover and oil filter gasket
.tune up

Brasscatz
10-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Are you over heating at all?

Cheromaniac
10-23-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm loosing about 2 qts. a week with no visible leaks and the exhaust pipe has alot of soot build up but the jeep isn't smoking.

If there are no visible oil leaks, no oil getting into the intake, and you're losing that much oil, then the engine must be burning it.
You say the Jeep isn't smoking but can you be sure of that? I suggest you take your Jeep on a normal drive and have a buddy follow you so that he can observe your tailpipe for blue smoke.
Do a compression test +/- a leak down test on all cylinders. Good compression will at least rule out any significant ring/bore wear and the problem could be something easy to fix such as worn valve stem oil seals.
Check your plugs and see if they look oily.

bulrid8
10-23-2013, 03:17 PM
If there are no visible oil leaks, no oil getting into the intake, and you're losing that much oil, then the engine must be burning it.
You say the Jeep isn't smoking but can you be sure of that? I suggest you take your Jeep on a normal drive and have a buddy follow you so that he can observe your tailpipe for blue smoke.
Do a compression test +/- a leak down test on all cylinders. Good compression will at least rule out any significant ring/bore wear and the problem could be something easy to fix such as worn valve stem oil seals.

Mine did same thing. About a quart a week. Replaced the valve stem seals. It stop all oil consumption and my oil stays clean now. Takes about and hour or so to do and is not very hard.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

xj94
10-23-2013, 06:19 PM
swapped gauges and temp and oil sensor neither working(separate problem)but i can hear the rad fan kick in to cool

Are you over heating at all?

xj94
10-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Waiting to get access to a lift early next week going to rent the tool monday. thanks for the reply