PDA

View Full Version : Installed trailer harness... now no backup lights.

prerunner1982
10-22-2013, 09:08 PM
As the title says I installed a plug and play trailer harness and now I have no back up lights. Anyone else had this issue or have ideas?

Brasscatz
10-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Hmm, did you cause a short with some brittle wiring? Do they work when you unplug it again?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

4.3LXJ
10-22-2013, 09:40 PM
They are switched on at the neutral safety switch. I would start there and see if that wire gets any juice

prerunner1982
10-22-2013, 09:55 PM
removing the trailer harness is a good start...and I thought of that, but it was a pain in the butt to pull everything out of the cargo area, remove the side panel and tail light to get to the plug to install it...but guess I will bite the bullet and possibly do that this weekend.

Steve, would a manual trans have a NSS? If so, it's broken as I have used the starter to "drive" the Jeep off the road when the ignition coil gave out.

4.3LXJ
10-22-2013, 10:43 PM
yes, a manual trans has one. Not sure about the AX15, but most have one for neutral and one for reverse lights. Check side and by shifter

ParadiseXJ
10-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Check the fuse box under the dash...7.5 amp fuse marked TRANS.

prerunner1982
11-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Fuses all checked out good... removed trailer wiring harness.....still no reverse lights. Guess it's time to crawl underneath.

Brasscatz
11-12-2013, 06:07 PM
ouch. Sounds like something blew or fried when you hooked up the harness. Let us know if you find anything

F1Addict
11-13-2013, 01:38 AM
I would start by checking your bulbs and sockets. It's possible that when you plugged into the harness it cooked both bulbs. Unlikely, but possible. If the bulbs check okay, use a multimeter to confirm that the socket ground is still... well, grounded. Just check for continuity between the outer wall of the bulb socket and any chassis ground.

Next, I would use your multimeter to check for voltage on the reverse light signal wire in the harness where you installed the trailer light plug. You'll have to turn the key on and place your AX15 in reverse to do this.

Next, check your reverse light switch wiring. The switch is located on the passenger side of the AX15 near the back of the housing, it will be the only wires coming out of the tranny. Make sure the wires are in tact and that the connector is in good shape and not full of mud or corrosion. If all that checks out, disconnect the switch from the harness and pull it out of the trans. You can test it with a volt meter, just probe both pins and make sure there is continuity when you depress the ball bearing at the working end of the switch.