PDA

View Full Version : Engine replacement issue

xjaustin94
10-22-2013, 12:49 PM
okay so here goes....my 2000 xj is my baby, the motor had low oil pressure and worn mains so i picked up a motor with 100k miles on it. i pulled the old one and transferred everything from the old motor and transfered it to the new one. oh and the new motor was out of a 2000 xj same as mine, SO after we got it all bolted up and started putting accessories on we discovered the CAMSHAFT POSITION SYNCHRONIZER was broken so we put a new one in. the doorman part came with a tool to line everything up. i used everything on my jeep that was working before i replaced the motor but it will NOT start. it has no spark but it does have fuel. it turns over and over and over but no start.

the only thing i can gather is that my buddy dropped a wrench across the battery in the final stages of completion and it arked. could it have ruined the PCM? all the fuses and grounds are double checked and everything. im baffled. i dont want to spend 250 in a computer and that not be the fix. HELP

Mudderoy
10-22-2013, 01:20 PM
okay so here goes....my 2000 xj is my baby, the motor had low oil pressure and worn mains so i picked up a motor with 100k miles on it. i pulled the old one and transferred everything from the old motor and transfered it to the new one. oh and the new motor was out of a 2000 xj same as mine, SO after we got it all bolted up and started putting accessories on we discovered the CAMSHAFT POSITION SYNCHRONIZER was broken so we put a new one in. the doorman part came with a tool to line everything up. i used everything on my jeep that was working before i replaced the motor but it will NOT start. it has no spark but it does have fuel. it turns over and over and over but no start.

the only thing i can gather is that my buddy dropped a wrench across the battery in the final stages of completion and it arked. could it have ruined the PCM? all the fuses and grounds are double checked and everything. im baffled. i dont want to spend 250 in a computer and that not be the fix. HELP

No spark is a symptom of a bad CPS, but I wonder if a bad CKS would cause the same problem. Have you traced the spark all the way back to the coil? Or is it coil packs on the 2000?

xjaustin94
10-22-2013, 01:42 PM
No spark is a symptom of a bad CPS, but I wonder if a bad CKS would cause the same problem. Have you traced the spark all the way back to the coil? Or is it coil packs on the 2000?

yeah its coil pack, and i have no idea how to. but the cks was fine before i swapped the motor and i never touched it so it should work

Mudderoy
10-22-2013, 01:56 PM
yeah its coil pack, and i have no idea how to. but the cks was fine before i swapped the motor and i never touched it so it should work

I'll just mention it to be sure we're on the same page. You've checked all the connections, CKS, CPS, power connections to the coil packs.... So many thing can go wrong, not get connected, etc... in a motor swap.

4.3LXJ
10-22-2013, 02:27 PM
check engine light when the key is on?

xjaustin94
10-22-2013, 09:22 PM
I'll just mention it to be sure we're on the same page. You've checked all the connections, CKS, CPS, power connections to the coil packs.... So many thing can go wrong, not get connected, etc... in a motor swap.

yes sir. i gonna take cleaner to the grounds and make sure they are all good one more time, but yes. i was getting 14v to the cps, 12 to the cks, and 12 to the coil pack, and im getting gas to it, just no spark.

4.3LXJ
10-22-2013, 09:41 PM
I bote crank position sensor. Know how to check it?

xjaustin94
10-22-2013, 09:50 PM
I bote crank position sensor. Know how to check it?

if its broken, get a new one. they are known to go bad, but you can get the ohm meter out or volt meter.

belvedere
11-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Any chance the crank position sensor could have been bumped? Easy to do when swapping motors.