PDA

View Full Version : I have an electical issue i could use some help with

jeeperjosh95
10-18-2013, 09:46 AM
so every morning when i go out to start my 95 xj it takes 15 minutes of whorling over before it starts but my dash lights like the seatbelt, check engine, and battery do not turn on when i tur the key like they should after 10 minutes or so of it cranking over those 3 lights start flashing and it finally starts and i pinpointed that the is a short in my fusebox somwhere becuase after the jeep is started an ran for a little while when i turn the key and leave it for like 30 seconds the fuse boxx makes a wierd clicking noise and then the 3 dash lights pop and and when you turn the key it starts right up and it does this all day long any idea what could be shorting out to cause that to happen it is also draining my battery?

ArmyGuy45
10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
First of all, what battery are you using? I am surprised with all this abuse it hasnt quit on you. Second, have you checked all your relays? That clicking nosie could be a relay that is causing you problems.

4.3LXJ
10-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Yes, clicking noise is the relays. But, I suspect it might be your ignition switch not sending enough current to it.

jeeperjosh95
10-20-2013, 01:50 PM
I've changed the relays multiple times and it is still doing it Sombody told me there could be a short in my fuse box but I will check the relays thanks

4.3LXJ
10-20-2013, 10:09 PM
The point I was trying to make is that I don't think the relays are the problem. When a relay chatters, it is because there is insufficient power to keep the contacts closed. So they bounce back and forth. So, you have two possible scenarios. Your ignition switch is not functioning or the ground is not good. Either could be it.

saar
10-23-2013, 04:59 AM
Try to bypass the switch while you have that issue. It might be that.
But, before that, verify that your battery is in good working condition.

jeeperjosh95
10-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Yeah I'm probly going to get a new switch but i was also told by a shop that there could be something shorting out inside my fuse box or in my wiring harness causing this to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)