PDA

View Full Version : Welcome KristinaU102!!!

EekGirl96
10-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Hi KristinaU102, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

KristinaU102
10-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Hi there everyone. I just bought a much neglected XJ. It was subject to a mechanics lean and languished there for about a year then a friend of mine bought him (Franken-Jeep) and he sat in their driveway for about a year acting as storage.

I bought him recently when I was in need of a cheap no payments car. He now has a stable home and is being babied. I'll let you know this right now. I'm kind of a blingy girl and he's definitely got "character" now. I'm trying to stay on the right side of pimping though.

So far I've done the basics to make sure he runs well. Tune up, all fluids changed, fixed a broken passenger window. Most recently had to replace the ignition switch. I have a list of other items I want to work on. Hoping to do at least one a month.

Right now I'm obsessing about a cargo privacy cover. I'm thrifty (see cheap) so I'm probably gonna DIY it with tension rods or PVC pipe and heavy outdoor fabric.

I've honestly never done anything 4WD or off-roady before but I'm open to having a good time with him. As long as he'll still get me to work the next Monday.

That's me, or rather Franken-Jeep in a nutshell. Thanks for the welcome.

bluedragon436
10-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Welcome to :xjtalk: from Delaware!! Feel free to throw up some pics of your boy... Everyone here enjoys pics!!

EekGirl96
10-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Lol, franken jeep! Would love to see pics of him :)

Have any other plans for him? Lift, bigger tires, etc?

We have plenty of knowledgeable folks on here so dont be afraid to ask any questions!!

:D

KristinaU102
10-17-2013, 01:40 PM
This is Frank, you can see how he got the name Franken-Jeep. Put together with parts of other Jeeps.
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r609/kristinau102/IMAG0580_zps8595944c.jpg (http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/kristinau102/media/IMAG0580_zps8595944c.jpg.html)

Like I said I'm a blingy girl and "thrifty". So when I needed to fix the sun visors this was the result. Lord save us from Pintrest.
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r609/kristinau102/IMAG0593_zps9db13d91.jpg (http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/kristinau102/media/IMAG0593_zps9db13d91.jpg.html)

Next up on his to-do list is a new bumper and to install the flood-lights I have ready to go for him. And he needs a new windshield also but I already have a quote for that, so November probably for that.

He also needs new hydraulics for the cargo door and a new handle for one of the back passenger doors. It sticks opening from the outside but not the inside. Been told the new handle will fix that.

And PLEASE GOD, I need to get the interior detailed soon. He looks and smells like a shop truck on the inside.

Mechanical wise he's wonderful and multiple mechanics have commented on how clean the engine is for the history I give them. I definitely lucked out when I bought him this summer for only $500. I have guys stop me and want to know if I'll sell him. umm-no. He's mine for at least 2 years I think.

4.3LXJ
10-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Kristina, bling is in the eye of the beholder. One man's (woman's) bling is just stuff to another. Shoot, I have my chrome grill and it is staying. So are the shiny aluminum bumpers. Tell me more about this cargo privacy thing. Are we talking roof rack or something for the interior?

KristinaU102
10-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Tell me more about this cargo privacy thing. Are we talking roof rack or something for the interior?

I dont like that anyone can see what I have in the cargo area. I notice that there is set up for a cargo cover. I've googled and researched and can not find a retractable cover anywhere and from factory it's $300!! (BTW, that's how I found this forum)

So I had an epiphany today and thought "hey, why not either tension rods or pvc pipe with fabric??" it won't retract but I'm ok with that. I just hate having the cargo visible.

Mudderoy
10-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Hi there everyone. I just bought a much neglected XJ. It was subject to a mechanics lean and languished there for about a year then a friend of mine bought him (Franken-Jeep) and he sat in their driveway for about a year acting as storage.

I bought him recently when I was in need of a cheap no payments car. He now has a stable home and is being babied. I'll let you know this right now. I'm kind of a blingy girl and he's definitely got "character" now. I'm trying to stay on the right side of pimping though.

So far I've done the basics to make sure he runs well. Tune up, all fluids changed, fixed a broken passenger window. Most recently had to replace the ignition switch. I have a list of other items I want to work on. Hoping to do at least one a month.

Right now I'm obsessing about a cargo privacy cover. I'm thrifty (see cheap) so I'm probably gonna DIY it with tension rods or PVC pipe and heavy outdoor fabric.

I've honestly never done anything 4WD or off-roady before but I'm open to having a good time with him. As long as he'll still get me to work the next Monday.

That's me, or rather Franken-Jeep in a nutshell. Thanks for the welcome.

Great intro and thanks for taking the time to join. You don't have to be an off roader to be on this site. Everyone is welcome with or without a Jeep.

:D

XJ Wheeler
10-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Welcome to the site! Sounds like a great deal was had when buying "Frank". And don't let anyone bash you for your "bling". Its your style and jeep, so they can take a hike. No matter how nice something is, there's always someone to complain.

Good to have ya here. Kick your feet up and make yourself at home.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
10-17-2013, 02:19 PM
I dont like that anyone can see what I have in the cargo area. I notice that there is set up for a cargo cover. I've googled and researched and can not find a retractable cover anywhere and from factory it's $300!! (BTW, that's how I found this forum)

So I had an epiphany today and thought "hey, why not either tension rods or pvc pipe with fabric??" it won't retract but I'm ok with that. I just hate having the cargo visible.

Just a suggestion here. I like to think outside the box and I think this would be an interesting project. My XJ had the brackets, but not the cover. Soooooooooooooooo .........................

How are your sewing skills? How about you go to the wrecking yard and see if you can find the mechanism and brackets to make your own? It would involve taking it apart, using the right length center rod with the mechanisms on the end, fabric of your choice and a new end piece to fit the tailgate area. I think several might like a project like that to model for themselves.

KristinaU102
10-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Just a suggestion here. I like to think outside the box and I think this would be an interesting project. My XJ had the brackets, but not the cover. Soooooooooooooooo .........................

How are your sewing skills? How about you go to the wrecking yard and see if you can find the mechanism and brackets to make your own? It would involve taking it apart, using the right length center rod with the mechanisms on the end, fabric of your choice and a new end piece to fit the tailgate area. I think several might like a project like that to model for themselves.

Funny you should ask that. Sewing is one of my hobbies right now. That's what made me think of getting tension rods and fabric to make it. Now i'm just trying to hold myself back from getting some really loud fabric choice. I'm gonna hit up Joanns this weekend and get some heavier outdoor fabric. Probably a tanish color/pattern since the interior is tan.

I'm still going to keep my eyes open for a retractable one. I'm sure a visit to the pick-n-pull is in my future.

Brasscatz
10-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Hello and welcome! Just a thought on the cargo cover that you may want to look into. I walked into walmart one day and they had those retractable window shades on sale for $3! I bought two... one for the Jeep cargo area, and the other in case I messed up the first one lol. I haven't installed it yet, but that's my plan with it ;)

KristinaU102
10-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Hello and welcome! Just a thought on the cargo cover that you may want to look into. I walked into walmart one day and they had those retractable window shades on sale for $3! I bought two... one for the Jeep cargo area, and the other in case I messed up the first one lol. I haven't installed it yet, but that's my plan with it ;)

Awesome! My mother was asking me why i dont just do that. I was worried they wouldn't be wide enough though. Also the width closest to the back seats is slightly wider than near the hatch back. But for $3 I'm willing to give it a go. What size did you buy? :pray:

Brasscatz
10-18-2013, 12:05 PM
I don't remember the size, but it was the biggest one they had. That was a clearance special they had going on them, doubt you'll find them that cheap again, but still worth a try

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

xj4life2
10-18-2013, 12:17 PM
I would check ebay , I have found them on there for $50.00 also Craigs list. Still need to find the mechanism for my bronco , Nobody has one for a full size anymore , only used for 3 years and in specific models , lovely huh ???

BlueXJ
10-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I will have to look I had a factory one but when I put the toolbox back there it was too tall for the cargo cover. I may have sent to another Jeeper but it has been a few years so I may still have it. I will explore this weekend. If I have it you can get it for the cost of shipping.