PDA

View Full Version : Rear bumper mounts (recovery worthy)?

XJMikey
10-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Anyone know where I can get rear bumper mounts that tie into the unibody? I want to build my own bumpers to fit my needs, but I have only found front mounts.

Also... would a receiver hitch work? I was thinking of welding on stock bumper mounts for more strength and welding on box steel for the actual bumper.

4.3LXJ
10-16-2013, 09:05 PM
A receiver hitch is probably the best solution. You can get a clevis mount to fit inside it

XJMikey
10-16-2013, 09:17 PM
A receiver hitch is probably the best solution. You can get a clevis mount to fit inside it

I've seen detour makes clevis mounts. I'll look around the junkyard for a victim to make a bumper mount of. Thanks 4.3LXJ.

Dredwolf
10-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Detour's C3 Recovery points....

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/XJ%20Project/IMG_3985_zps3a76fd05.jpg

I decided to go this route until I can decide what to do for a final rear bumper w/ tire carrier idea.

XJMikey
10-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Detour's C3 Recovery points....

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/XJ%20Project/IMG_3985_zps3a76fd05.jpg

I decided to go this route until I can decide what to do for a final rear bumper w/ tire carrier idea.

Thanks for the pic.

My idea is to either cut off the receiver and use the brackets, or weld a section of box steel on top of the receiver tube and add stock mount brackets for extra bracing.

Dredwolf
10-16-2013, 09:53 PM
JCR's unibody tie-in's may get you thinking...

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJMISC/UNR.html

Another idea is to cut down rectangular tube to insert into the "opened up" unibody rails, but I can't find a decent pic...

XJMikey
10-16-2013, 11:15 PM
JCR's unibody tie-in's may get you thinking...

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJMISC/UNR.html

Another idea is to cut down rectangular tube to insert into the "opened up" unibody rails, but I can't find a decent pic...

This is basically my bumper layout (just an idea, no real measurements used)

http://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/14/14/92/83/rxjb10.png

My thought was to use the hitch mounting arms as "frame" mounts and add factory bumper mounts to give a mounting setup that could handle someone pulling my jeep out of a buried to the belly, mud hole.

XJ Wheeler
10-16-2013, 11:41 PM
If you do that design with utilizing the hitch mounting plates i would lower your shackle mounts to be as close to in line with the hitch mounting plates as possible. As high as you have them it may want to bend the body where the factory bumper mounts by pulling down on the bumper during recovery. The body isn't very strong right there, its not reinforced or anything.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

XJMikey
10-17-2013, 08:47 AM
If you do that design with utilizing the hitch mounting plates i would lower your shackle mounts to be as close to in line with the hitch mounting plates as possible. As high as you have them it may want to bend the body where the factory bumper mounts by pulling down on the bumper during recovery. The body isn't very strong right there, its not reinforced or anything.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

I'll tweak the design once I have the steel to work with and find someone to weld it together.

Thanks for the input guys.

NW99XJ
10-17-2013, 09:06 AM
I would also move your clevis mounts to be inline and thru welded with your frame tie in points. This way the force from a good yank is more evenly distributed thru the frame and the mounts of the bumper.

XJMikey
10-17-2013, 09:39 AM
I would also move your clevis mounts to be inline and thru welded with your frame tie in points. This way the force from a good yank is more evenly distributed thru the frame and the mounts of the bumper.

I don't mind giving up some departure clearance, so I'm thinking of just using a receiver hitch with detours clevis mounts and then building a high clearance wrap around bumper. That would ensure the recovery points and hitch have the mounting strength needed, and the bumper can be designed for maximum clearance/protection.

4.3LXJ
10-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Just a suggestion. If you use a receiver hitch, use the receiver. That way the forces will be spread to both sides and be easier on the unibody frame

XJMikey
10-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Just a suggestion. If you use a receiver hitch, use the receiver. That way the forces will be spread to both sides and be easier on the unibody frame

I was looking at a couple bumper mount designs, and my own mounts. I'm working on a custom bracket/brace that will tie the holes JCR nut strap use, factory bumper holes and the crossmember.

XJMikey
10-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Could I use 2"x5" 1/8th wall box steel for the bumper? Would it withstand the abuse of being smashed on rocks and logs? I found a 6ft section of it in my dad's garage.

4.3LXJ
10-17-2013, 07:48 PM
It will work fine for that

XJMikey
10-17-2013, 08:11 PM
It will work fine for that

Ok. Thanks for all the help._