PDA

View Full Version : Taking advantage of my furlough days

Infidel Edition
10-16-2013, 01:04 AM
got my new head bolts, valve steam seals, vaccume grommet and ??? something in the mail today.
new heavy duty head gasket, exhaust/intake gasket and misc. gaskets.
...new motor mounts. that's the other thing that arrived from the costs less site.

gonna drive over to my dad's and take over his garage... right after I pick up a 12 pack and some chips

nickyg
10-16-2013, 02:53 AM
Sounds like a good use of down time... Good luck. But I believe the proper food for heavy maintenance is pizza.

bluedragon436
10-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Always have to have pizza when working on cars!! LOL... Seems like a good use of the down time though either way...

EekGirl96
10-16-2013, 12:29 PM
At least someone has been productive lol I've just been cleaning and being lazy lol

ArmyGuy45
10-16-2013, 12:58 PM
At least someone has been productive lol I've just been cleaning and being lazy lol

Cleaning is never a bad thing. I clean my guns just for the fun of it.

EekGirl96
10-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Cleaning is never a bad thing. I clean my guns just for the fun of it.

ID rather be doing that then house cleaning, all day every day lol

ArmyGuy45
10-16-2013, 01:16 PM
ID rather be doing that then house cleaning, all day every day lol

Well, then you can clean my guns if you want.:D

Andrew XJ
10-16-2013, 01:28 PM
whenever I do any work I have ranch sunflower seeds actually one of my terrible habits I go through two packs a day

Infidel Edition
10-17-2013, 07:27 PM
no joy in muddville...
:rolleye0012: had to go back to work and only got a couple things done ~ not the head gasket!

but it gave me a moment to think it through. the lower bolt is broken off for the water inlet on the from of the head... jury-rigged for a few months now. my plan before was to pick up a head from a donor at the pick'n pull and rebuild it. thus making sure it's all good to go.
and then, I was thinking I should pull the oil pan and swap that gasket too... and do a quick engine maint.

so, if I swap the head for a rebuild... would a 91-95 be a doable swap?
or would that require more work than benefit?
I mean, if I'm changing it anyway

bluedragon436
10-17-2013, 07:50 PM
I think it'd be doable, I think the only thing that would have to be delt wtih to make ti work would be the temp sensor for your gauge cluster.. IIRC yours is on the back of the head, and the newer ones it is on the thermostat housing... or vise versa...

Infidel Edition
10-18-2013, 11:34 AM
I think it'd be doable, I think the only thing that would have to be delt wtih to make ti work would be the temp sensor for your gauge cluster.. IIRC yours is on the back of the head, and the newer ones it is on the thermostat housing... or vise versa...

I found a couple threads where people have had success with a '91 - '95 head on a RENIX... but a '90 won't work.
Of those that did, most went with the newer TB and did some sort of makeshift TPS adaptor.
1 or 2 used their RENIX intake and TB.

I'm thinking I'm just going to pick up a '89 iron head and take it in and get it ported and polished...
and pick up a cam kit (with new springs, and rockers)...
Just gotta figure out the $$

BlueXJ
10-18-2013, 01:13 PM
whenever I do any work I have ranch sunflower seeds actually one of my terrible habits I go through two packs a day

They keep me awake on long trips. I like the DAVID brand but will eat any of the others in a pinch.

editedforsafety
10-19-2013, 08:04 AM
I buy a bag of sunflower seeds pretty much whenever I have a 3 hour or more car ride. I like David brand Ranch, but I'm interested in trying bbq, bacon, or one of the other interesting flavors that seems to be showing up everywhere.

Infidel Edition
10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
I buy a bag of sunflower seeds pretty much whenever I have a 3 hour or more car ride. I like David brand Ranch, but I'm interested in trying bbq, bacon, or one of the other interesting flavors that seems to be showing up everywhere.

hold on!
there's a BACON
:bacondance:

WWWWHHHHHHAAAAA?

Brasscatz
10-19-2013, 11:48 AM
The bacon is pretty good, but was somewhat disappointing to me. My two favorite flavors are Big's dill pickle, and David's chili lime

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

bluedragon436
10-19-2013, 12:08 PM
I found a couple threads where people have had success with a '91 - '95 head on a RENIX... but a '90 won't work.
Of those that did, most went with the newer TB and did some sort of makeshift TPS adaptor.
1 or 2 used their RENIX intake and TB.

I'm thinking I'm just going to pick up a '89 iron head and take it in and get it ported and polished...
and pick up a cam kit (with new springs, and rockers)...
Just gotta figure out the $$

That sounds like a good plan... You know your 89 head works with your engine, and then you'll know that it is a good, clean and fresh head to start off with!!

finneys98xj
10-19-2013, 02:17 PM
You use to be able to buy the tips adapter. Also the throttle and kick down cable needs changing. A new down pipe would need to made. But everything else is bolt on.