PDA

View Full Version : duele t-case question

Andrew XJ
10-14-2013, 03:18 PM
I was curious if it would be possible to put a divorced transfer case behind my existing transfer case so I have a double low gear.

if not how do I make or where do I buy a double transfer case pictures would help

4.3LXJ
10-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Andrew, any double case set up I can think of puts the new gear reduction ahead of the existing tcase. The toyota boxes, NP doubler, Atlas and the dual 231 cases all do that. So that being said, you have to be real handy with some of them and will need some dollars to do it. The cleanest thing you could do is use the Klune V underdrive which comes in 2 and 4 to one. Use the 4 to one. However even with this, you will need to massage the floor boards on the driver side to make it fit. The double 231 kit uses a cheap 231 reduction section but is a real pain in the ass to get welded up and had to be mounted upside down. I am not sure what is done about lubrication issues on this one. One person has done it on here. Search for 231 doubler. Another good combo is the Klune V with an inverted Dana 300 twin stick. The rest get expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I have the same type of thing with the Atlas 4 speed. I think my best mod yet. Another one that could be considered in that price range and would require no floor work is the Stak 3 speed. But even with the Stak Dana 300 and Atlas, linkage is not console friendly. But if you have a dedicated trail machine that is not an issue

Andrew XJ
10-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Andrew, any double case set up I can think of puts the new gear reduction ahead of the existing tcase. The toyota boxes, NP doubler, Atlas and the dual 231 cases all do that. So that being said, you have to be real handy with some of them and will need some dollars to do it. The cleanest thing you could do is use the Klune V underdrive which comes in 2 and 4 to one. Use the 4 to one. However even with this, you will need to massage the floor boards on the driver side to make it fit. The double 231 kit uses a cheap 231 reduction section but is a real pain in the ass to get welded up and had to be mounted upside down. I am not sure what is done about lubrication issues on this one. One person has done it on here. Search for 231 doubler. Another good combo is the Klune V with an inverted Dana 300 twin stick. The rest get expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I have the same type of thing with the Atlas 4 speed. I think my best mod yet. Another one that could be considered in that price range and would require no floor work is the Stak 3 speed. But even with the Stak Dana 300 and Atlas, linkage is not console friendly. But if you have a dedicated trail machine that is not an issue

for now my car is also a daily driver do you know of any reduction kits for the stock transfer case low range?

4.3LXJ
10-14-2013, 04:12 PM
You can get the TereLow kit from Tereflex that gives you 4:1. Or, you can do what one of our other members did and install the NP241OR case out of a JK Rubicon and get the same thing. The latter needs some driveline or drive flange mods I believe

prerunner1982
10-14-2013, 04:24 PM
The NP241OR from a TJ should work as well. I believe they are clocked slightly different than the XJ transfer case though.

4.3LXJ
10-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Advance Adapters sells clocking rings