PDA

View Full Version : Things I learned on the Day of Dirt Adventure

prerunner1982
10-14-2013, 12:21 PM
1. When a JK Wrangler won't start even when jumping it, touch the cables together to reset the computer.. At the lunch stop we had one just die, wouldn't jump start, wouldn't pull start (it was a manual), would only click like a dead battery or bad connection. After resetting the computer it jumped just fine. Ultimately it did end up having a bad battery.

2. I need to set up a CB tune/teaching event for the group. I had my SWR meter out while at the meet up point and ended up testing/setting quite a few radios. About half or more did not have properly grounded mounts and their SWRs were in the 3:1-3.5:1 range.

3. Some people are just dumber than a box of rocks and just don't realize when they are playing with fire. Listen to an up coming XJTalkshow to hear more about this.

07Negative
10-14-2013, 12:54 PM
I'd like to hear more on number 3. This "dumber than rocks" epidemic is very lateral.

4.3LXJ
10-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Is that worse than dumber than a post?

Mudderoy
10-14-2013, 02:10 PM
1. When a JK Wrangler won't start even when jumping it, touch the cables together to reset the computer.. At the lunch stop we had one just die, wouldn't jump start, wouldn't pull start (it was a manual), would only click like a dead battery or bad connection. After resetting the computer it jumped just fine. Ultimately it did end up having a bad battery.

2. I need to set up a CB tune/teaching event for the group. I had my SWR meter out while at the meet up point and ended up testing/setting quite a few radios. About half or more did not have properly grounded mounts and their SWRs were in the 3:1-3.5:1 range.

3. Some people are just dumber than a box of rocks and just don't realize when they are playing with fire. Listen to an up coming XJTalkshow to hear more about this.

Most people don't understand that the physical antenna is only half of what they need. I didn't know this either until I started studying for my HAM license.

prerunner1982
10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Most people don't understand that the physical antenna is only half of what they need. I didn't know this either until I started studying for my HAM license.

Exactly...

And to make it clear... #3 doesn't have anything to do with #2.... not calling my fellow group members dumb. lol

saar
10-16-2013, 02:56 AM

Touching cables together? won't that blow the battery???

nickyg
10-16-2013, 03:05 AM
Your right you should never touch live cables together....I believe the OP means disconnect the cables from the battery. Then touch the unconnected cables together. I think it discharges the computer or some other type of voodoo.

prerunner1982
10-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Your right you should never touch live cables together....I believe the OP means disconnect the cables from the battery. Then touch the unconnected cables together. I think it discharges the computer or some other type of voodoo.

Exactly...

runnerswife
10-16-2013, 03:47 PM
At no point when setting up the adventure did you say they need to be smarter than a rock. Maybe you should make that a requirement. Hehehe