PDA

View Full Version : Brake Caliper mounting bolt...

Dredwolf
10-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Was trying to finish the front alignment today, so I thought I would pull the wheels and rotors to inspect things in detail...

:bang:

Upper caliper mounting bolt on the driver's side apparently was stripped by the PO....but their fix was a Helicoil that backed out easy withe the caliper bolt (I had no idea anything was wrong until I tried to pull the bolt to grease it, and the Helicoil was holding it in the sleeve.)

I would not have used a Helicoil in this location,I prefer to use Keenserts. Has anyone dealt with this before? It looks like there is enough material there for a Keensert, and with the right high temp threadlocker, it should be a solid repair.

Thoughts? Or should I try to track down a new knuckle instead?

Dredwolf
10-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Trying to research a solution for this, and stumbled across more than one thread talking about knuckles getting "grooved" from the pads.

In addition to the Helicoiled mounting bolt, I apparently have grooved caliper mounts on the knuckles too...

The local pull-a-part is low on XJ's right now....does anyone know if new knuckles will have the same issue with grooves?

Brasscatz
10-14-2013, 07:51 AM
I've tried doing some searches but haven't found anything specific to your question on new knuckles, BUT I would assume that new ones would be just fine for a very long time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

abebehrmann
10-14-2013, 08:45 AM
I have a feeling the grooves occur when the caliper mounts on the knuckle aren't greased and are left dry but I have no proof. I had mine welded last week and even after I explained to the mechanic that I thought it was because of a lack of grease on the knuckle, he still forgot to lube them up... :bang:

oderdene
10-14-2013, 10:29 AM
looks like all gold

4.3LXJ
10-14-2013, 11:13 AM
I have used helicoils successfully. If you want use some locktite on the coil and then once dry use antisieze on the bolt threads. You won't have any trouble

Dredwolf
10-14-2013, 02:37 PM
I have a feeling the grooves occur when the caliper mounts on the knuckle aren't greased and are left dry but I have no proof. I had mine welded last week and even after I explained to the mechanic that I thought it was because of a lack of grease on the knuckle, he still forgot to lube them up... :bang:

Any lessons learned on the weldng? I may go that route if I have too.

4.3LXJ
10-14-2013, 02:52 PM
The only thing I would say about that is that the common wire in wire feeds with gas is a hard wire. So any surface welded with that will last longer than the original

abebehrmann
10-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Seems to be holding up pretty well. The hardest part was finding someone willing to do the job. I made sure to lube up the mounting ledges as well as the little ears on the brake pads to try to ensure that this wouldn't happen again. I wish I would have been able to save up my money and buy my own welder instead of paying someone else to do it, but I was kind of in a hurry to get it fixed before a trip I have coming up next week.

Dredwolf
10-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Seems to be holding up pretty well. The hardest part was finding someone willing to do the job. I made sure to lube up the mounting ledges as well as the little ears on the brake pads to try to ensure that this wouldn't happen again. I wish I would have been able to save up my money and buy my own welder instead of paying someone else to do it, but I was kind of in a hurry to get it fixed before a trip I have coming up next week.

While I consider my welding skills marginal at best, I have a good friend that can help, with equipment a step up from my own if needed.

I have not touched a grinder to them yet, are the knuckles cast iron or cast steel? Thinking cast iron?

I have ball joints that have not been installed yet, so this is a reason to break the knuckles down, sandblast or beadblast to clean, and where they could be preheated before welding....I even have a metal tub that I fill with playsand for slow cooling other cast repairs.

Thought about the WJ upgrade, but I just got my Ironman Andy's track bar installed.

abebehrmann
10-14-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm not 100%, but I've read that they are made of ductile cast iron.

Dredwolf
10-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Yep, they are iron...

Got the driver's side TIG welded today and rough ground, will do passenger side on Sunday, and take my time installing that Keensert. Pics to follow....

Dredwolf
10-20-2013, 10:08 PM

There are times I really wish I had never heard "Just Empty Every Pocket"....

Welding and smoothing the caliper rails on the knuckles went great....trying to get a blasting cabinet to work well enough to clean the #$%@ knuckles for a #$%^@#$ simple coat of paint should have been one of the legendary labors of Hercules... :smiley-angry021:

Was a beautiful AM, got up and made pecan waffles for the family, going to wrench on the XJ today :D

Friend that did the welding called, was going to be a little late, no big deal, was going to bring his blasting cabinet to clean the knuckles for some paint...

It went down hill from there.....he had an HF cabinet that worked okay, until the ceramic nozzle gave up, before he finished the first knuckle. Okay, I'll run to HF for parts, he can go after new u-joints and Moog ball joints from the chain store in other direction.

HF was a mad house....and no parts. Had to buy a siphon blaster to get a nozzle from a identical blast gun, found what I needed in 15 minutes, it took over 30 minutes to get through line and check out. Finally get back home, get started again, added more media to the blaster, finished one, started on the other....then realized that what we though was a shield on the glass viewport in the blast cabinet was actually the now frosted glass. :bang:

So the weekend comes to a close, the XJ is more torn apart than it was, and I still can't take it on a trail. Mid-November will make it a YEAR since I took the XJ anywhere other than my yard. Frustrating as hell....and I am still trying to land a new job before the savings runs out.

4.3LXJ
10-20-2013, 10:13 PM
I wheeled mine today :smiley-taunt002:

Dredwolf
10-20-2013, 10:23 PM
I wheeled mine today :smiley-taunt002:

:P

I rolled one of my wheels around today, to put it under the XJ as it waits for another weekend. :smiley-taunt002:

Guess I might as well order those outer axle seals, and some inners as well, and give the D30 an overhaul.

I was trying to hold off until I have a job again, to have "incidental" money for the 4.56 gears and locker install.

Whats a good way to clean that axle tube if I am going to change the inner seals and gear oil anyway? Some kind of flex hone?

4.3LXJ
10-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I don't know, I suppose. But I wouldn't go overboard on it. Just get the big chunks out. Then you will have seals at both ends

Dredwolf
10-20-2013, 10:45 PM
I don't know, I suppose. But I wouldn't go overboard on it. Just get the big chunks out. Then you will have seals at both ends

Some type of drum "flap-wheel" might clean up the tube enough for those outer seals to seat properly with some RTV.

I will try to find Tony's install of the outer seals for reference.

Dredwolf
10-21-2013, 09:32 PM
So back to the fight....with my wallet and my XJ...

I am really happy about how the TIG welding turned out....:thumbsup:

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/XJ%20Project/IMG_4001_zps3d09d700.jpg

But the nice welding and finishing makes the rest of the knuckle look like...:turd:

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/XJ%20Project/IMG_3999_zps8a2afe76.jpg

So TO THE BLAST CABINET!!!!:character0028:

(insert painful, $$$ story to get blast cabinet SORT of functioning)

Looking better....;)

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/XJ%20Project/IMG_3997_zps017b128b.jpg

Now, what to do about this rusty mess....:confused:

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/XJ%20Project/IMG_3998_zps7a7d9701.jpg

I see mixed opinions on the outer axle seals....are they worth it if you see water and mud on most trips, even if you are not "muddin"? :xj-black:

And the chain store tie rod boots are a joke....other than replacing the drag link to get a new boot, will Prothane or Daystar work better?

oderdene
10-21-2013, 10:29 PM
I used PVC reducer fitting, so far so good

2x1-1/4 reducer fitting, schedule 40

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TiLApfJc-go/TgcSBJNsUmI/AAAAAAAABok/ayMbUybpb5c/s1600/dp.png

Dredwolf
10-22-2013, 11:30 PM
I used PVC reducer fitting, so far so good

2x1-1/4 reducer fitting, schedule 40

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TiLApfJc-go/TgcSBJNsUmI/AAAAAAAABok/ayMbUybpb5c/s1600/dp.png

Now THAT is clever!!! Great idea!