PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 4 / 4.5 inch lift

Infidel Edition
10-13-2013, 11:10 AM
My rear lift is sagging...
...4.5" is only an inch now.

the PO did a bastard pack lift.
I'm looking at getting a complete set and doing it right.

so here's my question~would it be better to go 4 / 4.5 leaf springs? or a 2" plus a 2" shackel for my 4" lift?
It seems I've read the shackles give me a better angle...?

looking at Rubicon Express / Skylift (softride) / or Rough Country in both 2" & 4" lifts
...and a Rough Country adjustable shackel (if I go that route)

4.3LXJ
10-13-2013, 11:16 AM
You might be getting shackle angle and extended shackles confused. Extended shackles lower the rear part of the spring and give you one inch of lift for every two inches of extensions. The shackle angle ends up being straight up and down usually. The shackle relocation brackets that are popular change the angle of the shackle and give a slight lift giving some a smoother ride.

bluedragon436
10-13-2013, 11:55 AM
I'd look at picking up some Rough Country leafs if it were me... they are usually priced pretty competitively, and so far I've had great luck with their customer service from just calling to ask about something, or about getting new bushings or hardware that didn't come with a steering dampner I purchased from a RC vendor...

Dredwolf
10-13-2013, 01:54 PM
My "re-engineered" lift setup is Rubicon Express 4.5" coils in the front
with 3.5" leaf packs, Iron Rock Off-road adjustable boomerang shackles....
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/XJshack4.jpg

combined with HD Offroad Engineering Shackle relocation brackets...

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0016/5012/products/DSC_0081_large.jpg?19
I'll run outside and get a "how it sits" shot....lowered the shackle adjustment to the 1" of lift instead of the 1.5".

Dredwolf
10-13-2013, 02:02 PM
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/XJ%20Project/IMG_3991_zpsc8aeb82a.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/XJ%20Project/IMG_3993_zpsa44f6da2.jpg

Tires are 12.50x33-15's

Infidel Edition
10-13-2013, 02:10 PM
so I'd want to go with the 4.5" leaf spring lift over the combined leaf and shackel lift?

I'm not going to do heavy off roaring. I just want to bet it back to what it was before.
and a smooth ride would be nice too...

Infidel Edition
10-13-2013, 02:11 PM
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/XJ%20Project/IMG_3991_zpsc8aeb82a.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b605/dredwolf1/XJ%20Project/IMG_3993_zpsa44f6da2.jpg

Tires are 12.50x33-15's

that's what I'm looking at... but with 31's max.

NW99XJ
10-14-2013, 11:19 AM
For a smooth ride you'll most DEFINITELY want to go with the shackle relocation brackets.
And here's why..... Think of shackle angle and control arm angle as being fairly similar in how they affect your ride quality.
When your shackle is perpendicular (at or close to 90° to the spring) all of the vibration and up-travel is transferred directly THROUGH the spring into the body.
If the shackle is at more of an angle, then it allows a "hinge effect" to take place, and the spring does most of the work, increasing motion of the shackle during suspension travel. No all of this in combination of shackle LENGTH affects the actual spring RATE,,,,
A short shackle will change its angle (and the effective rate of the leaf spring) quicker than a long shackle upon deflection of the leaf.

There is a second shackle effect on the stiffness of the rear suspension that counteracts and sometimes exceeds the shackle’s effect on spring rate. This second effect occurs whenever the shackle swings in its arc and moves the rear spring eye vertically (see illus. 6).

The vertical movement of the rear spring eye causes a jacking effect. If the shackle movement forces the rear spring eye downward, the leaf will deflect and exert an upward force on the chassis that will add stiffness to the rear suspension. Conversely, the shackle will reduce suspension stiffness if it causes the rear spring eye to move upward during suspension travel.

The stiffening effect occurs during suspension deflection whenever the rear spring eye is ahead of the upper shackle pivot and the shackle is moving rearward (see illus. 6, example B). In this position, however, the shackle also produces a softening effect by reducing the effective rate of the leaf spring (due to the large shackle angle). The overall effect to the stiffness of the rear suspension is determined by the greater of the two shackle effects. Under opposite conditions, you can expect a reversal to the above effects. If the rear spring eye is located behind the shackle pivot (illus. 6, example A), the shackle effect will tend to reduce suspension stiffness whenever the shackle moves rearward. However, the small shackle angle will tend to stiffen the spring’s rate. The overall effect to the suspension’s stiffness is determined by the more dominant of the two shackle effects.

If a leaf goes into negative arch, the travel direction of the shackle changes and the shackle effects change. Handling is not consistent under these conditions. This is why it's usually never a good idea to add shackles or relocation brackets to an already saggy (or stock/worn) leaf spring.

The second effect of the shackle can be enhanced by increasing the length of the shackle. Generally, the second shackle effect (jacking) is dominant.

http://www.afcoracing.com/graphics/accessories/suspension/leaf_springs/tech_leafsprings5.jpg

4.3LXJ
10-14-2013, 11:22 AM
My 2 cents on that is that with the angle on the shackle the forces make the main leave absorb some of it by making the end bend upward. It works, but I never really liked the idea, speaking from strictly a purist standpoint

Dredwolf
10-14-2013, 08:02 PM
For a smooth ride you'll most DEFINITELY want to go with the shackle relocation brackets.
And here's why..... Think of shackle angle and control arm angle as being fairly similar in how they affect your ride quality.
When your shackle is perpendicular (at or close to 90° to the spring) all of the vibration and up-travel is transferred directly THROUGH the spring into the body.
If the shackle is at more of an angle, then it allows a "hinge effect" to take place, and the spring does most of the work, increasing motion of the shackle during suspension travel. No all of this in combination of shackle LENGTH affects the actual spring RATE,,,,
A short shackle will change its angle (and the effective rate of the leaf spring) quicker than a long shackle upon deflection of the leaf.

There is a second shackle effect on the stiffness of the rear suspension that counteracts and sometimes exceeds the shackle’s effect on spring rate. This second effect occurs whenever the shackle swings in its arc and moves the rear spring eye vertically (see illus. 6).

The vertical movement of the rear spring eye causes a jacking effect. If the shackle movement forces the rear spring eye downward, the leaf will deflect and exert an upward force on the chassis that will add stiffness to the rear suspension. Conversely, the shackle will reduce suspension stiffness if it causes the rear spring eye to move upward during suspension travel.

The stiffening effect occurs during suspension deflection whenever the rear spring eye is ahead of the upper shackle pivot and the shackle is moving rearward (see illus. 6, example B). In this position, however, the shackle also produces a softening effect by reducing the effective rate of the leaf spring (due to the large shackle angle). The overall effect to the stiffness of the rear suspension is determined by the greater of the two shackle effects. Under opposite conditions, you can expect a reversal to the above effects. If the rear spring eye is located behind the shackle pivot (illus. 6, example A), the shackle effect will tend to reduce suspension stiffness whenever the shackle moves rearward. However, the small shackle angle will tend to stiffen the spring’s rate. The overall effect to the suspension’s stiffness is determined by the more dominant of the two shackle effects.

If a leaf goes into negative arch, the travel direction of the shackle changes and the shackle effects change. Handling is not consistent under these conditions. This is why it's usually never a good idea to add shackles or relocation brackets to an already saggy (or stock/worn) leaf spring.

The second effect of the shackle can be enhanced by increasing the length of the shackle. Generally, the second shackle effect (jacking) is dominant.

http://www.afcoracing.com/graphics/accessories/suspension/leaf_springs/tech_leafsprings5.jpg

Good info!

Infidel Edition
10-16-2013, 12:56 AM
ordered RE 3.5" and relocation brackets ... and shackles...

if I end up 6" vs. the goal of 4 - 5... it'll still be better than the current 5" front with a barely over stock 1" rear.:confused:

least that's my story...
and in a week or two, I'll stick to it

Infidel Edition
10-18-2013, 11:14 PM
got my 'shipping email' from Amazon...
yes, I ordered from Amazon.

anyway, I made 1 order quantity of 2.
I got 2 emails confirming shipment ~ 1 for each...
...and 1 is expected to arrive Wed
........the other on Thur:spongebob:

Infidel Edition
11-08-2013, 05:15 PM
:bacondance:both RE 4.5" leafs are here...
.....................................bar pin eliminator....
.................................................. ..:bang:
and the wrong shocks!
So I sent them back, and :mad: they did it again!
......................ONE shock is here. The other is due next Friday:moon:

Speaking of PITA!, that rear break line was no bueno!
I got it to work, but need to make sure swap list parts are '89 friendly.
I did the Durango line 20" and the threads are a match, but the stock screw on the axle end is like a #10, the diameter of the Durango mount was like 7/16ths.
So I cut a piece of the old break hose and made a custom rubber shim inside the 'T' and a washer ...
THEN! the body end of the line was too big for the mount. So I had to pull out the drill and open that end a bit ~
But the line is in.

Now, as soon as the shocks show, I can just finish the job.

********* What about the E-Break line? Do I need to swap that too?
anyone?
:confused:
anyone?
anyone?
..............................:spongebob:

oderdene
11-08-2013, 09:07 PM
http://industryfigure.com/berkeley/Jeep/brakes/ebrake_extweld.jpg

you can adjust e brake line at the Y , no problem there, just crawl under jeep with 2 13mm open end wrench