PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod

odaydayday
10-12-2013, 09:40 PM
i am replacing the tie rods on my 96 cherokee but i cant find the right tie rod that goes to the pitman arm. ive bought a few from the parts store but none of the threads are the same size. does anybody know of what other vehicles i can check to see if someone swapped out the drag links for a thicker one. ive tried a grand cherokee, wrangler, commanche just about all the jeeps none of them thread the same

bigjim350
10-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Can you post a picture of your setup please. As far as I know there is no bolt on upgrade that swaps from any other vehicle.

TheDude
10-13-2013, 09:23 AM
shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_steering-tie-rod-end-driveworks_15510433-p?searchTerm=tie+rod+end

This should be it. I just replaced mine on my 96 and it was an exact match.

NW99XJ
10-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Yea I'd like to see pics too.... that is, if you haven't already taken care of the issue.

To my knowledge, the rod ends on the stock Cherokee steering linkage (aka: track bar & drag link) are not replaceable, well, that is to say only ONE end of each is replaceable, the other side is built into the bar, and cannot be rebuilt.
Upgrades to this include the stock ZJ (Grand Cherokee) set up, but the only thing you gain there is larger bars and rod ends, the issue still remains of there being fixed rod ends on both the tie rod and the drag link.

Pics of your set up and maybe even some good measurements (threads per inch, bar diameter, etc...) would help a lot.