PDA

View Full Version : No Turn Signals / Dash Lights

VIRGINIA FABRICATION
10-08-2013, 01:05 PM
I tried searching but didn't come up with anything...

1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 HO Sport

Aftermarket, "Hopkins" 4 wire flat plug n play wiring kit (not that I think it makes a difference what kind of trailer wiring it has but I figured it was worth mentioning)

I was fixing the lights on my trailer and I happened to leave it plugged into the Jeep while I was doing so and I crossed a trailer light wire (Jeep on, lights on) :oops: Yes, Yes, I know I should have disconnected it first... it was late, I was tired....

This left me with no : annoying door chime, radio?, turn signals, and dash lights.

I have checked all the fuses (including under the hood / relays), I had to replace 2 : 15 amp fuses, now all my fuses are good.

Still no turn signals / dash lights.

My hazard lights (turn signals) work but when I try to just use just the turn signal in either direction it does not work :confused:

Also, as stated my dash lights are not working either.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

4.3LXJ
10-08-2013, 01:15 PM
I believe the dash lights are on a separate circuit. Does your Jeep have another fuse panel under the dash?

Also I would disconnect the 4 pin adaptor and start from there. The 4 pin adaptor has some electronics in it that could fry.

VIRGINIA FABRICATION
10-08-2013, 01:18 PM
I have checked the fuse panel under the dash, I replaced the two fuses that blew.

I will go disconnect the trailer wiring harness like you suggested and see if that fixes the turn signals.

VIRGINIA FABRICATION
10-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Disconnected the plug n play trailer wiring, didn't fix it.

4.3LXJ
10-08-2013, 01:40 PM
From here, I would work backwards. Use a test light or meter to check current in the wiring. One more thought, check the flasher first, Might have damaged it

VIRGINIA FABRICATION
10-08-2013, 01:45 PM
I was trying to avoid doing that :smiley-scared002: lol

and

I tried swapping the flasher with the other Jeep I have, still didn't fix anything.

4.3LXJ
10-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Well, pull that flasher again and see if it gets any current. Probably not.

VIRGINIA FABRICATION
10-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I've checked the flasher, it's getting power.

I've checked the relays, they all work (swapped other ones in it's place and it still didn't work)

I replaced the multifunction switch, that didn't solve anything.

The only logical conclusion is that I need to find the blinker fluid reservoir... it probably needs to be topped off...

bigjim350
10-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Mine was like that when i bought it. My fuses were good, but was not getting power to the fuse. So in my redneck style, I just ran a jumper wire to one side of the fuse. Was worked great for 3yrs now. So I would suggest using a test light to make sure you getting power to the fuse.