PDA

View Full Version : Are there any cyclists on XJ talk?

Firemanray
10-06-2013, 01:10 PM
(That means the peddle kind, no motors!) I started riding over a year ago and found I actually love it. I rode the MS150 last spring (180 mile ride from Houston to Austin). I've ridden over 2000 miles in the last year. Yesterday I rode a 53 mile ride in the Pineywoods Purgatory. The hills were brutal!! Made me wonder if any of my fellow jeepers are crazy enough to participate in this sport.
Post up!!

Brasscatz
10-06-2013, 03:59 PM
I used to ride just for fun. Back when I was 17/18 or so, I worked the evening shift as a waiter and I used to get off work around 11pm and go ride all night until about 7am, sleep, wake up at 4pm for work and repeat lol. I averaged 20 miles a night I suppose. It was nicer at night with virtually no traffic and cooler temps. Haven't ridden in a long time though.

XJ Wheeler
10-06-2013, 07:57 PM
I used to ride just for fun. Back when I was 17/18 or so, I worked the evening shift as a waiter and I used to get off work around 11pm and go ride all night until about 7am, sleep, wake up at 4pm for work and repeat lol. I averaged 20 miles a night I suppose. It was nicer at night with virtually no traffic and cooler temps. Haven't ridden in a long time though.

Why? The nighttime journeys? I'm sure i am not the only one wondering. :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Brasscatz
10-06-2013, 08:31 PM
I've always been a night owl. I'm not a morning person at all. Being up late was more fun for me, temps were cooler, less traffic about. Even now, I pretty much have to force myself to fall asleep, and it usually takes a few hours from the time I get into bed unless I'm beyond exhausted.

But, my friend and I would always just ride. We'd say, "where do you want to go tonight?" and just head out. We went farther each night. Never did anything illegal, just rode.

XJ Wheeler
10-06-2013, 08:46 PM
I've always been a night owl. I'm not a morning person at all. Being up late was more fun for me, temps were cooler, less traffic about. Even now, I pretty much have to force myself to fall asleep, and it usually takes a few hours from the time I get into bed unless I'm beyond exhausted.

But, my friend and I would always just ride. We'd say, "where do you want to go tonight?" and just head out. We went farther each night. Never did anything illegal, just rode.

Riiiiight! ;)

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

editedforsafety
10-07-2013, 12:04 PM
I used to ride bmx (street and park) a lot when I was younger. Did a lot of traveling around the country just having fun. Body is getting a bit too old for that now.

About 4 years back I got the road bike bug. A few months after getting my first bike, two friends and I rode 485 miles over 8 days from Lansing, MI to Chicago then Milwaukee. We took the ferry across Lake Michigan to Muskegon, MI and back to Lansing. I was totally unprepared and miserable most of the time, but the feeling of accomplishment when it was all said and done made me stick with it. I have not ridden much the past two seasons though. I guess it was a combination of being burnt out from riding a lot of miles, and not having a local friend to push me. One friend moved and the other ones are a couple of hours away.

I tried Mountain biking for the first time this summer and loved it, so I think the girlfriend and I are going to buy bikes this winter. That will make 4 rolling bikes, along with 5 other bikes in varying stages of completion. I'm sure I'll ride some sort of bike for as long as I physically can, and hopefully that will be a long time.

Mudderoy
10-07-2013, 12:10 PM
I did a lot of bike riding, but all when I was young. 16 I got a car and no more bike. Biking is fun, but I like going fast, which meant way back when it was the English racer style bike from Schwinn.

cantab27
10-07-2013, 02:47 PM
got one on my bulbar..........

07Negative
10-07-2013, 03:17 PM
I do cross country and single track when I have the time. I've got a Bianchi track bike for bombing around the cities in.

Firemanray
10-07-2013, 03:43 PM
got one on my bulbar..........
Sooo your one of THOSE people, always trying to run us over for no good reason!

I used to ride bmx (street and park) a lot when I was younger. Did a lot of traveling around the country just having fun. Body is getting a bit too old for that now.

About 4 years back I got the road bike bug. A few months after getting my first bike, two friends and I rode 485 miles over 8 days from Lansing, MI to Chicago then Milwaukee. We took the ferry across Lake Michigan to Muskegon, MI and back to Lansing. I was totally unprepared and miserable most of the time, but the feeling of accomplishment when it was all said and done made me stick with it. I have not ridden much the past two seasons though. I guess it was a combination of being burnt out from riding a lot of miles, and not having a local friend to push me. One friend moved and the other ones are a couple of hours away.

I tried Mountain biking for the first time this summer and loved it, so I think the girlfriend and I are going to buy bikes this winter. That will make 4 rolling bikes, along with 5 other bikes in varying stages of completion. I'm sure I'll ride some sort of bike for as long as I physically can, and hopefully that will be a long time.

I'm 48 and fat but as long as I'm riding regularly I feel a lot better than when I don't.

Firemanray
10-07-2013, 03:44 PM
I do cross country and single track when I have the time. I've got a Bianchi track bike for bombing around the cities in.

What kind of distances to you cover when you ride?

cantab27
10-07-2013, 04:04 PM
just the ones that ride around here on sundays with there funny pants on shirts saying subway like they got sponsors,riding 5 abreast.....then sit outside coffee shops eating muffins drinking coffee and pouring there drink bottles over heads so looks like sweat...look at us we just rode the tour de France..:D :smiley-taunt002:

07Negative
10-11-2013, 02:58 PM
What kind of distances to you cover when you ride?
On the fix gear I usually only do about 10miles. The gearing sux for hills 48/18.
For cross country/single track, I'm not really sure. I don't have one of those mile tracker things. I would guess about 5-10miles. I like riding uphill. So no one likes to ride with me. I did this one ride 10 year ago from Martinez, CA to Santa Cruz, CA. That kicked my arse.

bluedragon436
10-11-2013, 03:16 PM
I used to do alot of BMX riding back in the day, and started Mt. Biking when I first joined the AF in 01.. have ridden off and on Mt. bikes especially during my time in Germany I rode all over the villages there, and got to see some amazing country side.. I've been working on getting back into Mt. Biking again since I've been back stateside, and also working on getting into Kayaking as well... I'm def not up to the distances some of you guys cover.. but I'm working on getting back into shape and want to start hitting the trails again.. There is over 100+ miles of trails throughout DE/MD for Mt. bikers... I used to spend many hours riding around throughout the night as a teen, as well as during my first years in the AF, as I am more of a night person, adn sleep during the day... I look at it as being peaceful and relaxing riding around at night, and enjoying the peace and quiet, and lack of traffic...