PDA

View Full Version : Its here. :-(

jeepin_idaho
10-03-2013, 08:59 PM
The new Jeep Cherokee is now on dealer lots. Discuss.

Dan
http://facebook.com/the4x4podcast

prcjeep
10-03-2013, 09:24 PM
The Diesel ones out yet? I may have to go test drive one.

KMW-NWXJ
10-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Eeeww!!! So sad, even the Jeep has succumbed! I always liked that they still looked unique. Seems like these days vehicles all look the same. Now the Jeep is like the rest of them. :(

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

Carves
10-03-2013, 10:34 PM
hmmmmm ....

An ugly looking, tiny, all wheel drive, station wagon ....

Mr Fiat should have called it a, 1972 Subaru Leone ... instead of "cherokee".

Hope its as good as the old subie was .. :D

07Negative
10-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I dont' mind change (unless it's coming out of Obamas mouth). But with change. Should it not be better? The aesthetics aren't the worst. All they did really was take the lower portion of the Grand. Gave it a slightly different upper portion. A very similar grill as the new Grand and gave it south east asian eye structure. It's probably fantastic plastic like many new cars.
Now what I'm really lost on is, what is its POU? My guess is..... It's just another city slicker SUV. For the family that can justify its worth when they might happen to travel to Tahoe or for the folks who putts around town for errands in mild snow. It's still a unibody. But now it's IWS. I just couldn't fathom going through all the efforts to do a solid axle swap. I haven't driven it. I might like it better than driving my current XJ with bump steer and a dead spot in the steering. Probably gets decent MPG vs my 15mpg. And it looks civilized for the kinda folks who care about being vain. Price tag starting at 22K is more than I want to spend on a car. If I were to purchase one. I'd wait for a lease return.

NW99XJ
10-04-2013, 01:56 PM
If anyone is even remotely considering one of these dont waste your time even test driving one unless it's the Trailhawk.
It's the only package that even comes close to thinking about doing the name badge any justice.
If your local dealer doesnt have one in, you shame them hard!!, ....and walk away without saying another word.

Brasscatz
10-04-2013, 02:07 PM
I may have to stop by my jeep store and see if they have any yet

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Mudderoy
10-04-2013, 02:40 PM
There's $50 in it for anyone that buys one and takes it straight to the crusher. Please video tape it for our YouTube channel! :smiley-scared003:

NW99XJ
10-04-2013, 02:45 PM
There's $50 in it for anyone that buys one and takes it straight to the crusher. Please video tape it for our YouTube channel! :smiley-scared003:
...I'll match that $50!!!
so that's $100 for the person that buys a new 2014 Cherokee and takes it straight to the crusher! .... and we're not talking about just a field trip here, the "cherokee" must actually be crushed into oblivion.
I'd also accept a wrecking ball being dropped on one if you're town does not have a car crusher.

Mudderoy
10-04-2013, 02:49 PM
...I'll match that $50!!!
so that's $100 for the person that buys a new 2014 Cherokee and takes it straight to the crusher! .... and we're not talking about just a field trip here, the "cherokee" must actually be crushed into oblivion.
I'd also accept a wrecking ball being dropped on one if you're town does not have a car crusher.

Josh we should have a think on the show, where we accept donations to purchase a brand new 2014 Jeep Cherokee with the express purpose to destroy it in protest of Jeep naming it a Cherokee. That would be hilarious if we got $24k in donations to do this.

NW99XJ
10-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Time to start a kickstarter campaign!

Brasscatz
10-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Don't forget TT&L.... more like $30k :D

Brasscatz
10-04-2013, 04:01 PM
And if you raise $30k.... I vote for buying and building about 5 XJ's for giveaways :P

07Negative
10-04-2013, 04:57 PM
You know how many Yodas you could build with 30K? More than XJ's that's for sure.

Mudderoy
10-04-2013, 05:36 PM
And if you raise $30k.... I vote for buying and building about 5 XJ's for giveaways :P

destroying a 2014 Cherokee is funnier :P

XJ Wheeler
10-04-2013, 05:52 PM

Sounds like it should be part of the test drive. "Nope, not good enough. Try again!" CRUUUNNNCCCHHH!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Brasscatz
10-05-2013, 03:07 PM
destroying a 2014 Cherokee is funnier :P

even funnier if we take the 5 "given-away" XJ's and drive over to a Jeep dealer and test drive the XJ's ON the 2014's lol. A nice little monster XJ rally...

4.3LXJ
10-05-2013, 10:16 PM
How about if I just say "Follow Me"?

bigjim350
10-06-2013, 03:13 AM
How about if I just say "Follow Me"?

Then a lot of people here would say "no".....
I guess I just don't understand the hatred of the new Cherokee. Wtf did you expect them to build? A brick shaped SUV that gets 15mpg? Wouldn't sell.

4.3LXJ
10-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Then a lot of people here would say "no".....
I guess I just don't understand the hatred of the new Cherokee.

I don't hate them. If I was in the market to spend that kind of money I would give is a shot along with some others to see how they performed. That being said, I would still drive my current XJ in to make the test drive just to hear the salesman say how these new rigs will go anywhere. Then I would say something like follow me or can I find out or some other thing to make them back pedal

abebehrmann
10-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I would like to see a head to head comparison of a well maintained stock late-model xj cherokee to a brand new 2014 cherokee both on-road and off. We all know mods to the xj are going to be a lot easier and cheaper with the solid axles, but how do they both perform right out of the box?

4.3LXJ
10-06-2013, 10:52 AM
To be honest, the new ones will outperform ours out of the box, by a lot on the road. Quieter, more comfortable, better traction, milage etc. However off road it will be reversed. I think the rub on here is in two areas. One, the styling. But we are biased. Second is its intended purpose. I think to be honest, we need to remember that the original purpose of our beloved XJs was not the purpose we have in modding them and doing what we do off road. It was a grocery getter SUV that could perform well off road

Brasscatz
10-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I think it's just the name that's getting everybody. It's like the Mustang for a bit after 1973... Or the Malibu. Those names meant something and the auto makers took away the meaning. I think Jeep knows that the Wrangler is the main offroad vehicle and that's why they are sticking with a very similar look and platform in the JK's that they had in the TJ, YJ and CJ. If somebody says "I want a Jeep", most people think Wrangler. Wranglers are even available in 2wd for the people that A: can't afford a 4x4, and B: Don't have any inclination of going offroad but want a Wranger. Same reason why Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, etc. come in a V6. People want the look of those cars, but can't get a V8 for one reason or another.
Yes, it's disappointing a bit to us that they are calling this the "Cherokee", but Jeep's main offroading focus is on the Wrangler. Sorry, but it's true.

My wife owns a Patriot and I had a friend trying to argue with me that it's "not a Jeep". The Patriot is the same size as the stock XJ, looks like a Jeep with the round headlights and 7 slot grill, has way more cargo room and passenger room. The downsides are that it has a very weak 4 cyl, has a CVT transmission that I can't even check the fluid level on, and it's front wheel drive. I got pretty pissed off at my friend because the Patriot looks more like a Jeep than the Grand Cherokee does... and most importantly, my wife loves her Jeep. She wanted a Jeep, and we bought her a Jeep. She's never going to go offroad in a car of her own, but she wanted a Jeep and she's happy with it.

I think that another reason we're disappointed with the name being Cherokee, is that everybody does "old school" designs when they bring a model back now. Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, etc. and the new Cherokee is not a "throw back" look and feel. I'm not happy with it either, we have enough trouble at the parts counter with "Cherokee, not Grand Cherokee" :D lol.

bigjim350
10-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I would like to see a head to head comparison of a well maintained stock late-model xj cherokee to a brand new 2014 cherokee both on-road and off. We all know mods to the xj are going to be a lot easier and cheaper with the solid axles, but how do they both perform right out of the box?

JP magazine did a test of the new Cherokee. They took it down hells revenge trail. It was the same trail they also took a stock 99 xj down. The article said that the 2014 did better on it. Never touched the skid plates under it, while the xj drug over lots of stuff. There only complaint with the new has to do with comp programming

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

abebehrmann
10-07-2013, 07:53 AM
JP magazine did a test of the new Cherokee. They took it down hells revenge trail. It was the same trail they also took a stock 99 xj down. The article said that the 2014 did better on it. Never touched the skid plates under it, while the xj drug over lots of stuff. There only complaint with the new has to do with comp programming

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the tip! That's almost exactly what I was looking for. Here's the link if anyone else is interested. <http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/1308-2014-jeep-cherokee-kl-hits-the-dirt/>

Dredwolf
10-10-2013, 08:42 AM
The comments section is amusing....because the new Cherokee is not the only thing Fiat is introducing to the Jeep line...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/10/fiat-based-baby-jeep-spied-testing.html

My issue with these videos for the new Cherokee is they keep mentioning articulation over and over, ad nauseam....tires in the air is not articulation, at least by the understanding I have gathered over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_eH_HnHSpQ

Articulation is not whats getting that vehicle over the obstacles, its the traction system.

If I had installed a locker or lockers in the '03 Explorer before our trip to Utah and Colorado, it would have been a vastly different vehicle off-road....and it has limited articulation, especially in the rear. The one part of the Imogene pass where I had to pick a better line after getting wheelspin on opposite corners would have been crawled up without interruption with the addition of a single locking differential, a limited slip might have done the trick also.

abebehrmann
10-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Oh god. That is terrible. Maybe that's Chrysler/Jeep's plan, make one that looks so terrible that everyone thinks the new Cherokee actually looks good in comparison...

Mudderoy
10-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Good vigorous discussion, love it! :popcorn:

4.3LXJ
10-10-2013, 11:13 AM
As far as I can tell from the few vids of it off road and what has been publicized, the trail hawk suspension is just the standard computerized air bag suspension with a pumped up position. They are not the first to do this. I had an 86 Subaru XT with the same option, although not run by a chip that is as sophisticated. I didn't have positions for various types of terrain. The one I had worked well and still had articulation. I did take it off road a little, but never intended it for a Jeep substitute. But one big difference is that the Jeep version seems to be pumped up to the max, while the Suby version still had some travel left. Personally, traveling off road with a permanently fully extended suspension would be very rough, as the vid seems to verify. OK, they made it through some rocks, but I have to tell ya that my Cherokee is much more comfortable doing it.

Mudderoy
10-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Bottom line; It's an insult to the vehicle who's name it has been given, and that's an insult to me.

denverd1
10-10-2013, 01:20 PM
damn that vid kinda put the naysayers in silent mode! For a stock traction system, that was pretty damn good boys!! didn't have any problems with a tire or 2 off the ground.

I should add: i'm definitely not in the market for of the uglies but it performed better than i expected.

ArmyGuy45
10-13-2013, 03:54 AM
damn that vid kinda put the naysayers in silent mode! For a stock traction system, that was pretty damn good boys!! didn't have any problems with a tire or 2 off the ground.

I should add: i'm definitely not in the market for of the uglies but it performed better than i expected.

Wouldnt you want the most surface area on the ground at all times when wheeling? I wouldnt want something like that, lots of rocking action. That rocking action can cause you to shift, slip or the rocks below you to give way. I would rather have all 4 tires on the ground at all times with true 'articulation'.

BlueXJ
10-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Straight axles or no axles for me. I already have a IFS vehicle in my Z71 so I have learned that a strait axle is the only choice if you go offroad.

4.3LXJ
10-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Straight axles or no axles for me. I already have a IFS vehicle in my Z71 so I have learned that a strait axle is the only choice if you go offroad.

Unless it is a Mighty Mite :D

denverd1
10-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Wouldnt you want the most surface area on the ground at all times when wheeling? I wouldnt want something like that, lots of rocking action. That rocking action can cause you to shift, slip or the rocks below you to give way. I would rather have all 4 tires on the ground at all times with true 'articulation'.

Of course. Lockers make it quiet capable. Probably more than the average 4x4 owner needs

cantab27
10-14-2013, 08:54 PM
I like em .......how many of yall brought new xj outta the box so to say...these are gonna get cheap like they all do...:D

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/958/xljs.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/xljs.jpg/)

XJ Wheeler
10-14-2013, 10:51 PM
I like em .......how many of yall brought new xj outta the box so to say...these are gonna get cheap like they all do...:D

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/958/xljs.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/xljs.jpg/)

You do know that's the grand, right?

cantab27
10-15-2013, 01:39 AM
You do know that's the grand, right?

yuk what a ugly front end then.......:D

still like the grand but ..........:smiley-scared003:

XJ Wheeler
10-15-2013, 01:52 AM
:D

NW99XJ
10-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Stumbled across these today.... behind the scenes pics (taken second week of June) of the infamous 2014 Jeep Cherokee Rubicon Run.....
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/enyge4u7.jpg

Word on the trail was "there was a lot of stacking involved" ....they went from Loon Lake to Tahoe. This was a bone stock "trailhawk" edition...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/10/emy2yter.jpg

Notice the "film crew" in yellow shirts, and some of their camera gear far right:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/9e7epuqu.jpg

Trying to "keep it pretty"...lol
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/2edyjevu.jpg

Thats pink detail fluid in the spray bottle... They use that at dealerships and body shops during "final inspection" before customer takes delivery..... yea, that otta do it. LMAO
Wouldn't want to get this Jeep dirty now would we?!?!? :smiley-laughing021:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/by7agu4e.jpg

Mudderoy
10-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Keeping it pretty makes 100% perfect sense, however I think they are hurting themselves with the off road crowd they seem to be courting by doing this. It does appear that the lower bumper is seeing significant scraping.

XJ Wheeler
10-22-2013, 04:49 PM
And a "scrape" on the back of the rear door... i bet that isn't cheap to fix.

Brasscatz
10-22-2013, 05:34 PM
And a "scrape" on the back of the rear door... i bet that isn't cheap to fix.

Put a strip of duct tape over it and you'll never see the scrape ;)

XJ Wheeler
10-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Put a strip of duct tape over it and you'll never see the scrape ;)

Good idea! Might have to continue till the whole thing is scraped... so its completely covered. :smiley-laughing021:

saar
10-23-2013, 12:27 AM
In Israel there was a time which you could buy large magnets to put on the doors/any other part of the car so you won't scratch it... :D
It wasn't sold so well :)
(+ the car should be made of metal and not like those plastic toys ;) )
Saar.

graverobberjk
10-23-2013, 05:58 AM
I still think the new cherokee looks like a durango with down syndrome js lol

jeepin_idaho
10-23-2013, 07:01 AM
Stumbled across these today.... behind the scenes pics (taken second week of June) of the infamous 2014 Jeep Cherokee Rubicon Run.....
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/enyge4u7.jpg

Word on the trail was "there was a lot of stacking involved" ....they went from Loon Lake to Tahoe. This was a bone stock "trailhawk" edition...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/10/emy2yter.jpg

Notice the "film crew" in yellow shirts, and some of their camera gear far right:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/9e7epuqu.jpg

Trying to "keep it pretty"...lol
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/2edyjevu.jpg

Thats pink detail fluid in the spray bottle... They use that at dealerships and body shops during "final inspection" before customer takes delivery..... yea, that otta do it. LMAO
Wouldn't want to get this Jeep dirty now would we?!?!? :smiley-laughing021:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/by7agu4e.jpg

Those pictures are a good find! Of like to hear from that support crew how they think it really did.

Dan
http://facebook.com/the4x4podcast

4.3LXJ
10-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Geez. All those people to get one rig through a trail

Paddletrucker
10-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Josh we should have a think on the show, where we accept donations to purchase a brand new 2014 Jeep Cherokee with the express purpose to destroy it in protest of Jeep naming it a Cherokee. That would be hilarious if we got $24k in donations to do this.

I think you should buy it and take it straight to Johnny Knoxville and the boys from Jackass and say, "Here 'ya go. F**** it up really good." That'd be more entertaining, I think. Then, we have the added bonus of seeing it's jumping capabilities.

cpttuna
10-24-2013, 06:05 AM
I live near Toledo where the new Cherokee XJ is built. One dealership got 5 yesterday and the salesman was talking it up on TV like they had sold a million and it was the greatest thing since microwave popcorn.

Brasscatz
10-24-2013, 07:33 AM
typical salesman.... "Come check out the sleek, safe, unbeatable Ford Pinto! Buy one now and we'll throw in the best-selling Edsel too!"

NW99XJ
10-24-2013, 08:51 AM
I think you should buy it and take it straight to Johnny Knoxville and the boys from Jackass and say, "Here 'ya go. F**** it up really good." That'd be more entertaining, I think. Then, we have the added bonus of seeing it's jumping capabilities.
I like this idea........ aLOT!

I live near Toledo where the new Cherokee XJ is built. One dealership got 5 yesterday and the salesman was talking it up on TV like they had sold a million and it was the greatest thing since microwave popcorn.
Sorry for the correction tuna, but the new Cherokee is most certainly NOT an XJ.....
That being said, I'm sure many of the dealerships are going to be doing all they can to sell as many of these abominations as they can, as FAST as they can, to try and salvage some of the yearly sales numbers.

denverd1
10-24-2013, 08:58 AM
ooh 9 speed transmission! great on gas and torquey!! :p :smiley-scared003:

EekGirl96
10-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Thankfully I havent seen any in the local Jeep dealerships here in AZ, then again I havent really been looking

I do want to go "test drive" one just to see, but then the fact that I'd actually have to sit in it and be seen comes into play and I rethink it lol

BlueXJ
10-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Thankfully I havent seen any in the local Jeep dealerships here in AZ, then again I havent really been looking

I do want to go "test drive" one just to see, but then the fact that I'd actually have to sit in it and be seen comes into play and I rethink it lol

Wear a disguise.

prcjeep
10-24-2013, 01:48 PM
I talked to a Houston area dealership and she told me the first week of NOV they would have some... this week they are supposed to be doing their own salespeople tests and such out at Sam Houston Raceway.

abebehrmann
11-01-2013, 06:38 PM
I passed a whole truck full of new Cherokees on my way home from work today.

Brasscatz
11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Kinda looks like that manure truck that Biff crashes into in "Back to the Future"... Just a big load of shit LOL j/k guys ;)

editedforsafety
11-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I saw one on the road when I left work yesterday. First one I've seen that didn't look like a test vehicle (I've seen plenty of those).

bluedragon436
11-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Just the fact of them taking their sales folks out to a raceway for testing and so they can speak on it's abilities, just pushes the beliefs I already have that this thing is more of a soccer mom ride, then an offroad legacy that the Cherokee has been up till now!!!

cpttuna
11-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Today , an article in the toledo newspaper said jeep sold 579 of the new cherokees in October. The big local dealer said he sold 7.

cantab27
11-03-2013, 09:03 PM
and next rumour is the next tj will have IFS ...no more solid axle ...sad real sad that

bigjim350
11-03-2013, 09:29 PM
and next rumour is the next tj will have IFS ...no more solid axle ...sad real sad that

Id be more upset about the wrangler going IFS than the Cherokee. The Wrangler name has always been used on something that pay homage to the past Jeeps. The Cherokee name has been used on 3 different designs. Each one being totally different than the last.

Brasscatz
12-19-2013, 10:08 AM
We've been talking about getting my wife a new SUV and I said "hey, we could always get you one of them new Cherokees"..... she said "oh HELL no" Lol I guess I'll keep shopping around for Subarus and VWs lol

EekGirl96
12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
We've been talking about getting my wife a new SUV and I said "hey, we could always get you one of them new Cherokees"..... she said "oh HELL no" Lol I guess I'll keep shopping around for Subarus and VWs lol

I cant believe you actually suggested that :crazy:
She's a keeper thats for sure.....

Brasscatz
12-19-2013, 10:21 AM
I wanted to see what she'd say ;)

EekGirl96
12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I wanted to see what she'd say ;)

riiiight, sure...whatever you say :p

xj-jake
12-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Bottom line; It's an insult to the vehicle who's name it has been given, and that's an insult to me.

I couldn't agree with you more. But on the flip side of the argument how long have jeep enthusiasts been begging for the return of the Cherokee? The original Cherokees are arguably one of the best 4x4s of all time. But did anyone honestly expect a new Cherokee to look and perform like the old ones? I'm sure they are a great vehicle but you won't see one parked in my driveway anytime soon. Any time a product or vehicle is "brought back from the past" there are going to be things that are liked and disliked. The consensus I've seen across the interweb is negative toward this soccer mom whatever it is. It is an insult to the Cherokee name if not the Jeep name in general.