PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this XJ

KMW-NWXJ
09-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Hey guys. What do you all think of this?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4091688905.html

Here is the text from the ad:

"I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4. It has a 3" lift and 31 inch tires. The tires are still pretty new. Has around 133,000 miles and has had lots of new stuff put into it.
-Water pump, Fuel Pump Assembly, new radiator within the last 300 miles, tune up with-in the last 300 miles, New battery, fairly new Master cylinder, new pinion seals, replaced front hubs, new o2 sensor, new Manifold sensor.

Has rust under vehicle, idles rough for the first 7 minutes then drives great. Drivers side window controls all the rest of the windows. Never had a problem or issue with the vehicle and drives great in the snow. Also comes with Amp and 12" sub."

Based on what I made red, it looks to me like he was trying to fix the rough idle issue but couldn't figure it out? Or maybe he did, and found it was something more than he wanted to deal with?

I emailed him and he said it is a Rough Country lift, and the rust is only "surface rust." I asked him which lift, but haven;t gotten another reply yet.

bigjim350
09-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Well seeing that he replaced the water pump and rad, he may have also been trying to fix a overheating problem. And the reason it idles rough COULD mean it has a cracked head or blown head gasket. And its letting water leak into the cylinders when it sets, then burns it off after about 7min or so. Not saying thats the prob, but it could be.

finneys98xj
09-28-2013, 04:01 PM
The window issue takes five mins and a dollar to fix. The head is an easy fix if that's the problem.

KMW-NWXJ
09-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Any way to tell on the head by looking? Or is that something that would take time watching coolant levels?

XJ Wheeler
09-28-2013, 04:07 PM
That and the "has rust under vehicle". How much rust? Cause a lot is a no deal in my book.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

finneys98xj
09-28-2013, 04:12 PM
My old 98 had a cracked head and I didn't know it till the freeze plug on the back blow. Check for milky oil with the jeep cold. If you have the money and rust isn't bad hop on it.

finneys98xj
09-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Of course try to talk price down some.

KMW-NWXJ
09-28-2013, 04:15 PM
That and the "has rust under vehicle". How much rust? Cause a lot is a no deal in my book.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Yeah. That's why I asked him. His reply:

"no the rust isn't too bad. The whole flooring and under body is in great shape for being rusted and has no damage or holes just some surface rust, I believe."

Seems like an odd thing to mention. It's a ways away from me and I'm trying to figure if it is worth one of my days off to go look at it, or just say, "meh" and keep browsing. Not in a hurry.

cpttuna
09-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Does he have maintenance records to cover what he has supposedly repaired or replaced?