PDA

View Full Version : Death Wobble

Mudderoy
09-23-2013, 09:04 AM
My youngest asks me, "Did Cassie tell you what the Jeep was doing?" {sigh} No.

So the track bar TRE is moving up and down where it mounts to the unibody, and the drag link TRE is doing the same thing where it mounts to the pitman arm.

Drag link and TRE have been ordered (both Moog) but I haven't found a good replacement for the track bar.

I'm considering the Rough Country adjustable. The one that mounts to the stock location.

Any recommendations? Remember this is for the 99 with a 3" Rough Country lift. It's unlikely it will ever see any off road time.

4.3LXJ
09-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Sounds like maybe the tapered hole in the frame mount might be damaged. Whatever you get should include a new mount, which would probably be a double sheer type

Mudderoy
09-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Sounds like maybe the tapered hole in the frame mount might be damaged. Whatever you get should include a new mount, which would probably be a double sheer type

I'll have to look at it again, but my impression was it was moving inside the TRE just like the TRE that is on the drag link.

Actually I believe the 06 track bar from the TJ will fit the 99, so I'll know more when I try installing it Tuesday evening.

Hopefully that will buy me some time where I can decide what I want to do for a track bar. Right now I'm leaning to moving the heavy duty RC on my 98 to the 99 and getting the track bar from Andy at ironman4x4fab.com.

4.3LXJ
09-23-2013, 11:04 AM
That sounds like a good plan

ArmyGuy45
09-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Does this count as a 'death wobble'?

http://www.judao.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/miley_twerk.gif

4.3LXJ
09-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Only if you are caught :D

Dredwolf
09-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Right now I'm leaning to moving the heavy duty RC on my 98 to the 99 and getting the track bar from Andy at ironman4x4fab.com.

I can't say enough good things about the one I got from Andy, it's well made and obviously #$@% strong...

Mudderoy
09-27-2013, 10:05 AM
http://youtu.be/Mi73ESwgG00

After doing a little research, I couldn't remember if I had to drill holes for the RC heavy duty track bar on the 98 or not. Turned out I was remembering the 03 TJ.

So for the last few days I was eyeballing the Ironman4x4fab.com track bar, and I saw a post that Andy (the owner) posted. He said he had one left and he would be doing a reorganization of the items he will be making in the future. It wasn't clear in the post if the track bar would return, or how long it would be. So I quickly placed my order in the hopes that no one else had jumped on the last track bar.

Andy confirmed today that I did indeed get the track bar. :D

http://ironman4x4fab.com/Products/images/STD-TBB-F.jpg

So I'll be removing the factory track bar, bracket and all, then moving the RC Heavy Duty track bar with bracket to the 99. Then installing the Ironman heavy duty track bar on the 98.

Metlic53
10-01-2013, 10:30 AM
i have andys track bar on my 90 and i haven't been able to bend it yet! hasn't come loose or needed any attention in over a year. I bent a stock one and a RC bar fairly quick. RC did offer me a replacement which i put on my street driven XJ. Andy's is stinkin heavy!

Mudderoy
10-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Either I just can't see it scanning my posts, or I didn't ask.

Do you guys think there will be a problem putting a RC HD track bar and bracket on a XJ with a 3" lift? RC says 4" to 6"

4.3LXJ
10-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Track bar might be a wee bit too long

XJ Wheeler
10-02-2013, 01:23 AM
I know its not an option but i. just. gotta.

Sounds like its time for more lift! :D

Sorry, i'll go to my corner now. :(

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Mudderoy
10-18-2013, 11:57 PM
So this came in today. Ummmm I think Andy upgraded me!

:bacondance:

Mudderoy
10-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Well I did the swap yesterday. Took the HD RC track bar with bracket off the 98 and moved it over to the 99. Remember the only front end parts I saw moving were the TRE that attaches the drag link to the pitman arm and the factory track bar, moving at the unibody mount.

With both of those replaced and a test drive... feels solid until you get up to about 55 mph and hit a bump or uneven patch on the road. I start getting the beginnings of death wobble. So I've ordered the two remaining TRE's, the ones for the tie rod, and I already have a new Moog drag link. I just didn't want to install it and then have to change out the tie rod TRE later.

I also ordered a new steering stabilizer. Monroe.

Keep in mind the tires were rotated and balanced back in, hmmm June or July.