PDA

View Full Version : Swap 97-01 seats into a 90 XJ?

toebee97
09-21-2013, 05:57 PM
So my driver seat has been pretty busted up for some time now, to the point where I have to keep my back seat folded down just to hold it up. I came across a set of near perfect manual seats out of a 97 today at the JY, but I got home and realized they have totally different mounts. So my question is, what's the easiest way to get them to work? Does anyone sell adapter brackets or anything? I don't have very good fab skills but I have friends that do so if that's an option I can make it work.

BlueXJ
09-21-2013, 06:36 PM
I think the 97 seats will bolt to the 90 mechanism. I have not done this but have seen newer style seats in an older (Renix era) XJ and was told they bolted to original rails.

nickxj94
09-22-2013, 12:45 AM
So my driver seat has been pretty busted up for some time now, to the point where I have to keep my back seat folded down just to hold it up. I came across a set of near perfect manual seats out of a 97 today at the JY, but I got home and realized they have totally different mounts. So my question is, what's the easiest way to get them to work? Does anyone sell adapter brackets or anything? I don't have very good fab skills but I have friends that do so if that's an option I can make it work.

Flatten the front floor mounts out and drill new holes and bolt them in that's how I did it on my 94 the seats will sit flat but you can add washers to get it to lean like your old ones. Also if your floor is rusted like mine I suggest some 1/8 square under to pancake the mounts so the bolts don't rip through the floor.

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2

toebee97
09-22-2013, 01:52 AM
I'm thinking of just adding a piece of square tube under the front mounts, that's really the only difference between the older and newer ones.

budgetxjmcknight
09-22-2013, 10:12 AM
I just had to get a new back for mine for the same reason the rail was broken. the back I have I unbolted the rails from the new style seat bracket and it bolted right up on my old style bracket.

toebee97
09-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I should clarify. The bracket on my driver seat is crushed and broken beyond repair so swapping the brackets isn't an option for me. I need to make the newer bracket work somehow. Even if my bracket wasn't messed up I'd still want it gone because it's a power seat and the new ones are manual.

4.3LXJ
09-22-2013, 02:48 PM
As far as a power seat vs manual seat bracket, they bolt into the same place and will accept the same seat cushion and back. However, the new seats are different and need the bracket with them because the cushions and backs will not interchange on the old brackets and vise versa. So you are right, you will need to make the new brackets work. If the holes don't line up, drill the holes and then use a fender washer or patch of 1/8" steel under the body to spread the load. If you need to use a spacer on the inside under the new bracket, follow the same process with the new holes

nickxj94
09-22-2013, 05:19 PM
I used 98 seats and seat brackets in mine I just bent the front bolt hold downs flat like this and. Drilled all new holes and put 1/8 square plate under body to support.rear 98 seats are direct bolt in I even used the center console just for the cup holders lol3648