PDA

View Full Version : Combining existing BB with 3" lift

Volatile
09-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Hey guys, first post, glad to be here! Did a few searches before asking but it seems like I can't find exactly the answer i'm looking for.:banghead:

I'm currently running a fat bob's garage 2" spacer/shackle setup on 32x10.50 TSL swamper radials. I want to get up around 4.5-5", but not break the bank. I know already that it's not exactly "cheap" but I had a few questions.

I found this kit from Rough Country: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-670x.html

I was curious if I could stack my existing setup on this? I know it's AAL but I'm on a budget, and if the leafs get too rough, I'll suck it up and source either better condition packs or shell out the cash for new ones. The kit already includes shocks, LCAs, and a sway bar drop bracket. Can I get away with just these parts? I can find/make a TC drop and pick up a used adjustable track bar if necessary, but I'm hoping I won't need a drop or SYE since my XJ is a 91.

Sorry for the long first post! Thanks!

4.3LXJ
09-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Can it be done. Sort of. You can bolt the hard parts in, but your shocks you get will be too short. The add a leaf will work. But you will definitely need new brake lines or you may be able to relocate the fronts to get enough length out of them. But you will definitely need a new rear brake line and new track bar. Castor angle on the front might be a little marginal and tend to want to get death wobble. You will have to make sure everything is tight. Since you will have to piece some of it together, like shocks and brake line anyway, you might check Craigs list for use coils. You can use TJ coils for a 5" lift for the front. You will probably need to space the tcase down an inch, but those can be made easily for $10. There is an article on here on setting the driveline pinion angle. Also you can use S10 rear springs for 3.5" of lift and not use the add a leaf.

Volatile
09-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. As far as addressing the shocks, I was going to call when I ordered the kit and ask that the 4.5" kit's shocks be substituted if possible. I had no idea that the TJ coils offered that much lift, though. Are they a direct replacement? I might be able to piece together a lift for cheaper after all, as long as I can find LCAs for cheap. And as far as brake line, I was going to relocate the front line and run YJ line for the rear.

nickxj94
09-21-2013, 12:03 PM
I got my lca from rough country for $79.00 they been doing great for two years now also I have a 3 inch lift with 2 inch bb and 4.5 shocks rides decent and does great offroad.3635

Volatile
09-21-2013, 12:09 PM
That looks great, man. What do you guys recommend I do with the sway bar if I end up piecing together?

nickxj94
09-21-2013, 12:37 PM
That looks great, man. What do you guys recommend I do with the sway bar if I end up piecing together?

You can run the stock I did before I took it completely off

Volatile
09-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Alright cool. What's the benefit of running the extended sway bar links, then?

4.3LXJ
09-21-2013, 03:50 PM
You need the extended links to get full travel out of your suspension. Otherwise you will need to disconnect it off road

Volatile
09-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Makes sense. So in theory I can install the main lift components and buy the extended links when money allows?

bluedragon436
09-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Yes you can.... you just wont get full travel out of your suspension till you either get the longer links or disconnect your sway bar when you hit the trails!! And like you said when you call RC talk to them about substituting the 4.5" shocks for the ones in the kit... they are the same price so don't see where that should be an issue!!

abebehrmann
09-21-2013, 07:21 PM
I had no idea that the TJ coils offered that much lift, though. Are they a direct replacement? I might be able to piece together a lift for cheaper after all, as long as I can find LCAs for cheap.

I think 4.3LXJ was saying 5" lift coils from a TJ would give you the lift you are looking for (3-4"). I could be wrong though.

4.3LXJ
09-21-2013, 08:55 PM
That is correct

Volatile
09-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Alright, thanks for clearing that up. The part hunt begins!