PDA

View Full Version : 1991 w/4.0, power steering question

redneckXJ
09-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Quick question about my power steering, it is leaking. I was curious if anyone knows if the pumps are prone to leaking? If not im sure it is just my reservoir. Im in the process of doing a huge overhaul on her (balljoints, u joints, oil pan gasket, servicing bothe rearends, fixing anything worn that jumps out at me while im doing this lol) and i was just curious if the pumps are notorious for leaking. Thanks!! :xj-red:

abebehrmann
09-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Mine was leaking when I bought it. I cleaned it up pretty good and had my girlfriend sit in the cab and saw the steering back and forth. In my case it was pretty clear that the high pressure line was the problem. Hope this helps.

4.3LXJ
09-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Could be as simple as a new O ring on the high pressure line

XJ Wheeler
09-19-2013, 04:27 AM
Same here. Pressure hose was leaking, not a o-ring but the compressed connection rather. Give it a good look to find the source. No use in replacing stuff and not even fixing the real problem. ;)

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

oderdene
09-19-2013, 05:48 AM
mine leaked between reservoir and pump, there is o-ring and replaced. so good so far :D

redneckXJ
09-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Well I now have a first place to check! It has been leaking for quite a while and I'm tired of topping it off every couple days lol
Thanks!