PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock replacement...a little worried

Ruger
09-18-2013, 01:42 PM
I am not trying to sound paranoid before doing a job. But my back shocks are original on my 95 cherokee. They rusty and shot. Which may be contributing to it driving a bit odd. But...I was looking. And noticed the bolts at the top of the shock look quite scary. Their rusty and I am worried if they break what I would do next. Is there a trick to getting these off without them snapping? I know pb blast. But I dont know how well that will do. I dont have torches.

bluedragon436
09-18-2013, 02:21 PM
I would say PB blast em... then if/when they snap, use a punch to knock the nuts through, then you can use wire to feel new bolts through the holes... I'll see if I can find the writeup on the feeding the new bolts through... And trust me your XJ will handle so much better with new shocks... Mine were so badly rusted there was holes through the side of the can... never seen one that bad, much less both rear ones...

4.3LXJ
09-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Yes, if the bolts snap, then you can put nuts up there in place of them. Sort of a PITA, but done all the time

nickyg
09-18-2013, 03:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49HdnVEgEEAll 4 of mine broke. try this.

Ruger
09-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Awesome! Thanks guys! I will do this very soon. I think I know why it does feel odd in the back end. Almost like a wobble effect, especially when pulling out, it feels like it is weak in the back.
The shocks!...But....
I noticed that the rear leafs do NOT bow like the ones on my wifes truck or my other car.
I mean bow as in, bolt up on the back, and curve down and back up to bolt on the front part. If that made sense. My leafs are actually flat! And almost bowed the opposite of what they should be. I never seen leaf springs just flat with no bow to them. The shackles and bolts, and everything are fine. Their just flat. I thought it was quite odd.

4.3LXJ
09-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Typical old XJ rear springs. You can add a full length leaf from another XJ and bring it up a little

Ruger
09-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Typical old XJ rear springs. You can add a full length leaf from another XJ and bring it up a little

Would that make it feel a bit strange in the back, like is kind of a wobble back and forth when getting on it, or turning bends?
I am new to this Jeep.

4.3LXJ
09-18-2013, 09:14 PM
You have to understand, these are not sports cars, or even regular cars. But stiffening those sagging rear springs a little and changing shocks will definitely help

Ruger
09-18-2013, 09:18 PM
You have to understand, these are not sports cars, or even regular cars. But stiffening those sagging rear springs a little and changing shocks will definitely help

Yes sir, exactly! It does drive a bit odd, especially when I was in another XJ and knew mine felt different.
With my rear leafs having no "bow", and being flat, and old shocks, your right.
I think that will make a difference. Theres nothing else back there.
I do like the power.
I had no idea they had 190hp. This engine and tranny, are outstanding.
I do need to do floor pans, and sub frames after winter. I repaired the right rear frame, just the bottom was rotted slightly.
I can see me having a lot of fun with this truck. They seem to sale a lot of goodies for them..:D

4.3LXJ
09-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Yup, lots of places for your dollars

XJ Wheeler
09-19-2013, 04:25 AM
X2 :rolleyes: :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Ruger
09-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Okay, I am officially an idiot. I wasn't going to post this, but I figured I might as well.
The front end got aligned, and I never paid attention to the tires.
The tires are all the same size. P235/75R-15
However!
The guy said the front end was not far out, and adjusted and didn't even charge me. But he said:
"Do you know the right front is almost bald, and the left front has some tread. The tires all the way around all have different tread pattern"?
He asked me if it drove odd at all....:mock:
None of them are off road tread, but they are all a slightly different pattern, and worn down.
I just got the truck. I need to go over it more.

Mudderoy
09-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Okay, I am officially an idiot. I wasn't going to post this, but I figured I might as well.
The front end got aligned, and I never paid attention to the tires.
The tires are all the same size. P235/75R-15
However!
The guy said the front end was not far out, and adjusted and didn't even charge me. But he said:
"Do you know the right front is almost bald, and the left front has some tread. The tires all the way around all have different tread pattern"?
He asked me if it drove odd at all....:mock:
None of them are off road tread, but they are all a slightly different pattern, and worn down.
I just got the truck. I need to go over it more.

lol yeah I can see that being a strange feeling. Excellent! Good share, it will help someone else out! :patriot:

Ruger
09-19-2013, 12:51 PM
lol yeah I can see that being a strange feeling. Excellent! Good share, it will help someone else out! :patriot:

I was humiliated to post it. But I am honest, even if it makes me look stupid.
I just got the truck not long ago, I don't know how I missed that.
And honestly, I had no idea that different tread patterns, 'very slightly different"
would cause this.

Mudderoy
09-19-2013, 01:02 PM
I just got the truck not long ago, I don't know how I missed that.
And honestly, I had no idea that different tread patterns, 'very slightly different"
would cause this.

Man, I do stupid things all the time, ask my wife! :spongebob: :bacondance:

XJ Wheeler
09-19-2013, 11:11 PM

No worries... most of us have had all kinds of "blonde" moments. Once left a tripod flashlight under my hood. Not a small light mind you, about the size of one of those big d-cell maglites. Brasscatz can attest to it. ;)

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Ruger
09-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Well I did have a blonde moment for sure. I can't believe I did notice that.
I offered my wife new tires for her xterra. She don't like the noice from the tires I put on her truck. Their an aggressive tread. Their 30/9.50's. They look like they will fit the jeep.

denverd1
09-20-2013, 11:25 AM
I call that a "win win".

on your rear shocks, do some bar pin eliminators so you don't have to mess with those pesky frame rail nuts again

Ruger
09-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I call that a "win win".

on your rear shocks, do some bar pin eliminators so you don't have to mess with those pesky frame rail nuts again

Oh yeah, and she went for it!!!...:D
I hate to sound dumb, I don't know what you mean by bar pin eiliminators? Or frame rail nuts?

denverd1
09-24-2013, 03:49 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbS33ItyAkeGw2p2Gb46vnybzoe5KKB xDUe59_1-uBPKaQsTzj_g
You bolt these where the shock originally mounted. The shock mount features two holes where you would either attach the shock, or attach these. With a couple of nuts that are welded to the rail. They typically rust/come loose/break. Once you mount the BPE in there you typically never have to worry about it and can easily access your shock mount. Search BPE for XJ. there are a ton of them out there

cpttuna
10-03-2013, 08:01 PM
where in Pa are you located?

Ruger
10-03-2013, 08:08 PM
where in Pa are you located?

I am SW Pa. I am near Greensburg.