PDA

View Full Version : Transmission line to radiator trouble

Putsfootdown
09-17-2013, 09:54 PM
So I'm swapping radiators again and the tranny cooling line to the radiator, quick disconnect, is stuck. So I removed the line at the tranny instead, no problems. It threaded out smoothly and with little initial effort. With space to work with, I free the qd and proceed to reinstall the line. I get it back in place and it feels like it begins to thread smoothly back into the tranny. I pull gently on the line to be sure it's threading and a piece of the transmission threads about the size of a dime falls out on my chest?????? Wtf do I do?

XJ Wheeler
09-18-2013, 01:42 AM
Sorry but this is one of those times when you're really gonna need to get under there and get a good pic of the problem. Without seeing it we can't tell how bad this is. And perhaps a pic of the piece that fell out to tell where it may have come from.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Mudderoy
09-18-2013, 09:30 AM
So I'm swapping radiators again and the tranny cooling line to the radiator, quick disconnect, is stuck. So I removed the line at the tranny instead, no problems. It threaded out smoothly and with little initial effort. With space to work with, I free the qd and proceed to reinstall the line. I get it back in place and it feels like it begins to thread smoothly back into the tranny. I pull gently on the line to be sure it's threading and a piece of the transmission threads about the size of a dime falls out on my chest?????? Wtf do I do?

Wow, this sounds bad.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neutral-safety-switch-nss/jeep-nss-neutral-safety-switch-1.jpg

Is this the one you are talking about?

NW99XJ
09-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Sorry but this is one of those times when you're really gonna need to get under there and get a good pic of the problem. Without seeing it we can't tell how bad this is. And perhaps a pic of the piece that fell out to tell where it may have come from.

YUP!
If you can get us some good, clear, in-focus pics of the area, and the piece that fell out, maybe even from a couple different angles, that would really help.
With the knowledge base thats on here, we should be able to at least get you pointed in the right direction of how to get it taken care of.

NW99XJ
09-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Worst case scenario, you could always just replace the whole line.
...they're relatively inexpensive (around $10-$30).....
http://www.stockwiseauto.com/product_info.php/products_id/250999/fit_id/9856/Year/2000/Make/Jeep/Model/Cherokee/source/googleps?gclid=COaN35Cd1bkCFchaMgod-jYAPw

http://www.stockwiseauto.com/images/products/DOR/624334.jpg

Putsfootdown
09-18-2013, 09:18 PM
I'll get some good pics tomorrow. It's not any part of the line itself that broke but the port in the transmission that it threads into. It's the fitting just to the right of the red box in mudderoy's pic

Mudderoy
09-19-2013, 12:26 AM
I'll get some good pics tomorrow. It's not any part of the line itself that broke but the port in the transmission that it threads into. It's the fitting just to the right of the red box in mudderoy's pic

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw4-7.jpg

If you're talking about the threads in the transmission case itself, I'm afraid you have a serious problem that only another transmission case can fix.

4.3LXJ
09-19-2013, 11:39 AM
How many of the threads are bad?

Putsfootdown
09-19-2013, 07:19 PM
It looks like I still have more than half of the threads left. It looks like it might have been vibrating the outer most threads away for some time.

Putsfootdown
09-19-2013, 07:31 PM
No. 2

Brasscatz
09-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Ouch..... I don't think that's very fixable....

4.3LXJ
09-19-2013, 07:57 PM
That is not looking good buddy. I think you will need to look for a different tranny. I don't think you have enough threads to hold the fitting

Brasscatz
09-19-2013, 08:00 PM
But I would definitely hold on to this one... if you ever need donor parts, you can gut it and use it

XJ Wheeler
09-19-2013, 11:24 PM
I say give it a try. Worse thing you can do... is have to replace it. Which you're looking at anyway. Stupid aluminum case!

bulrid8
09-20-2013, 05:31 AM
Yeah, clean really well, stick fitting in and jb weld the crap out of it! Best case, you buy a few more months of use. Worst case, it doesn't hold and you replace the case anyway.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

NW99XJ
09-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Yeah, clean really well, stick fitting in and jb weld the crap out of it! Best case, you buy a few more months of use. Worst case, it doesn't hold and you replace the case anyway.
That was gonna be my advice exactly ...after seeing the pics.
It's really about all you can do.
Thats a tough break man.
...good luck.

F1Addict
09-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Worst case, it doesn't hold and you replace the case anyway.

Well, sort of. If it comes loose while he's cruising down the highway at 70 mph it could be a little worse ;)

I wonder if something like this (http://www.nutsandbolts.com/14-20-ribbed-aluminum-threadsert-threaded-repair-inserts-qty-10-p-6209.html) [<<my link] would work?

XJ Wheeler
09-22-2013, 03:29 AM
Well, sort of. If it comes loose while he's cruising down the highway at 70 mph it could be a little worse ;)

I wonder if something like this (http://www.nutsandbolts.com/14-20-ribbed-aluminum-threadsert-threaded-repair-inserts-qty-10-p-6209.html) [<<my link] would work?

Hmmm, not a bad idea.

Guys more knowledgeable than me... Would it be plausible for him to drill out the hole and insert some type of threaded bung like that? Well, other than getting metal shavings in the trans.

Putsfootdown
09-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Ok, I'm gonna try the JB fix. I have a spare transmission, just hoping to leave it in my parts jeep because it still runs fine. I'll post a pic of the fix and of the carnage if I fail. Thanks to everybody for their time. I just have one stupid question: how do I officially thank people for their individual posts?

Putsfootdown
09-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Didn't see what f1addict had to say before I submitted my last post. Definitely gonna look into that first. Thanks

XJ Wheeler
09-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Ok, I'm gonna try the JB fix. I have a spare transmission, just hoping to leave it in my parts jeep because it still runs fine. I'll post a pic of the fix and of the carnage if I fail. Thanks to everybody for their time. I just have one stupid question: how do I officially thank people for their individual posts?

If you're on the site, just press the "thanks" button at the bottom right of the post you would like to thank.

If you're on tapatalk, press the post and when the bar comes up press "thanks".

You can't "thank" a post after a month that it was posted. Nor more than 50 "thanks" within 24 hours.

Carves
09-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Just a thought ....

That damage hasn't been caused by the cooler lines, Not being secured correctly at the bellhousing and engine sump, has it ??