PDA

View Full Version : Completely Change Brake Fluid Every Two Years?

Mudderoy
09-16-2013, 07:00 PM
I was watching Powerblock yesterday, the Xtreme4x4 show. They had a mini infomecial in the show, you know how they do, where they show that product that lets you pressurize your brake system so you can push in fresh brake fluid.

The guy said you should change your fluid ever two years!!!! Really?!?!?

I can't help but think this is just a bogus time frame to help justify the $50+ for the tank.

So I figured I'd take my question to the people! I bet I have brake fluid in mine that the factory put in!

http://volvo850wagon.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/dscn0170.jpg

gary63
09-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Will I don't know about the 2year time but I do replace my brake fluid about every 2 or sooner. Just because me and some friends tested brake fluid to see how will it would hold up. We checked it for how long before it started to absorb moister and how will it would hold up under heat and prisher. what we found was in a year to 3year the brake fluid would absorb moister and start to fetege other parts and heat was part of the cos of the moster getting into the brake fluid. the expansion and contrasion of the conictions. But most people fluid is change out when they do a brake job.

Brasscatz
09-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Hmm... I bet there's a reason, but I don't abide by most of the "rules" of scheduled maintenance.

nickyg
09-16-2013, 10:14 PM
I change my brake fluid every few years or so. Not intentionally, because most of it escapes due to leaks.

4.3LXJ
09-16-2013, 11:16 PM
In theory yes, but I have never done it

98FloridaXJ
09-17-2013, 05:42 AM
I recently bled my brakes after replacing my front rotors and pads. I sure as heck didn't use that fancy tank to do it solo but I did use a way cheaper vacuum gun to help get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

bulrid8
09-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Gravity bleed them. I use a bottle of brake fluid each time. Pretty much keeps them fresh.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Mudderoy
09-17-2013, 10:43 PM
I was thinking that with 3 vehicles and if you REALLY have to change the brake fluid every 3 years, it would be worth getting one of these bottles. Especially since no one in this house will help me! Well not 100% true I can make the girls come press on the brake petal.