PDA

View Full Version : Bead lock rims

4x4Dalton
09-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Ok y'all I'm lookin at tradin for a set of 16 inch Mickey Thompson beadlock rims. Can they be ran street legal by takin the rings off?

4.3LXJ
09-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Hey Bear, where ya been hiding?

If they are mickey thompsons with the "cosmetic" ring, they are street legal. Should be a DOT number on the inside bead somewhere. These are not true bead locks. The real ones are not street legal because they cannot get a DOT number because the bolts back off and they loose the bead while driving. These won't, hence they are legal

4x4Dalton
09-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Does Mickey Thompson make a true bead lock rim? Because if not then I will go on with the trade.

xj4life2
09-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Ok y'all I'm lookin at tradin for a set of 16 inch Mickey Thompson beadlock rims. Can they be ran street legal by takin the rings off?

Hey Bear, If thier true beadlocks no the tire wouldn't hold air or stay on the rim. On a true beadlock the ring is what hold the tire to the rim. On fake beadlocks it rides in front of the rim and never touches the actual bead. As Steve said look for a DOT number inside the rim. If you have to remove the ring to mount or dismount the tire you wont find a number and the will never be legal. Let me say for the record...... alot of people run illegal rims out here. Let me know if I can help !!!

xj4life2
09-16-2013, 10:52 PM
PS according to what I can find MT never made a real beadlock wheel If you want to see the differance check out Trail Ready wheels. http://www.trbeadlocks.com/

4x4Dalton
09-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Ok cool. Thanks Steve and Mark.

nickxj94
09-17-2013, 07:47 PM
I have mt street locks they are fake but do work on saving your beads from rocks mine are beat up so bad I can't even get them off lol they do suck for mudding as the mud drys between the rings and wheel and cause vibration.

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2