PDA

View Full Version : Ruger mini 14

07Negative
09-14-2013, 02:59 PM
I scored a deal on a Ruger mini 14 last night with 4 mags and with a scope mounted to it for only $350. I'm pretty stoked. I've been wanting one for a while now. Anyone got much experience with them?

Mudderoy
09-14-2013, 03:53 PM
I scored a deal on a Ruger mini 14 last night with 4 mags and with a scope mounted to it for only $350. I'm pretty stoked. I've been wanting one for a while now. Anyone got much experience with them?

This one looks pretty cool...

http://laststandonzombieisland.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/mini-14-scope-mag.jpg

07Negative
09-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Mine has wood furniture and blued. But there are tons of aftermarket for them and I'm getting this one before that crazy broad we have making up gun laws calls them an assault weapons.
I still need to get a Remmie 700. Still on the fence which caliber though. .223 has been the lead contender, but everyones trying to convince me into .308. Not sure if I'm up for a 308 yet. I recently felt the action on the 700 and it's like butter! So dang smooth.

Mudderoy
09-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Mine has wood furniture and blued. But there are tons of aftermarket for them and I'm getting this one before that crazy broad we have making up gun laws calls them an assault weapons.
I still need to get a Remmie 700. Still on the fence which caliber though. .223 has been the lead contender, but everyones trying to convince me into .308. Not sure if I'm up for a 308 yet. I recently felt the action on the 700 and it's like butter! So dang smooth.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want a .308 but it was a no brainer for me. Here's my youngest daughter shooting it. I think she wound up shooting a couple of 10 round clips.

http://youtu.be/unPFGgKpn6g

BTW, this is a Remington 700.

ArmyGuy45
09-15-2013, 01:43 AM
I have always wanted to get one but I am to busy building up my AR15!

bluedragon436
09-15-2013, 07:52 AM
I have shot many of them over the years as my dad loves them and will buy and sell them randomly... I have actually been thinking of looking for a good deal on a Mini 14 myself here shortly... Look forward to seeing pics of yours Deejay... although I do have to say I like the black tactical look better than the furniture wood look!! LOL

07Negative
09-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Tony, I just starting getting into rifles as an adult. I'm still figuring out what my preferences are. There is next to no hunting in this state. Pigeons at best & I do that w a Gamo pellet gun. I'd have to drive 2 hours to a range that only goes to a 1000 yards. Everything else is only 100 yards. Which I hit w my CZ452 .22LR and .223's. .308 is also quite expensive to shoot here. Due to county laws. I can not order online.
For whatever reason. I really like wood furniture on long guns. I blame it on my "Old man at heart" spirit. I'm just not very tacticool. :) but I've been looking at replacement stocks. We have to be careful of evil features here as well.

editedforsafety
09-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Mini-14's are not known for their accuracy, which I think is their biggest strike against them. Comparing the price of them new, it'd be hard to pick one over an AR15.

$350 is a no brainer though. Great deal!

cpttuna
09-15-2013, 07:36 PM
I bought one in 1978. I remember my late brother(very knowledgeable on guns,reloading, etc) telling me to watch how much military ammo I was putting through it because of the chamber pressure of said rounds. I loved plinking with it. I sold it in 1979. I probably fired 1,000 rounds through it.

Mudderoy
09-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Tony, I just starting getting into rifles as an adult. I'm still figuring out what my preferences are. There is next to no hunting in this state. Pigeons at best & I do that w a Gamo pellet gun. I'd have to drive 2 hours to a range that only goes to a 1000 yards. Everything else is only 100 yards. Which I hit w my CZ452 .22LR and .223's. .308 is also quite expensive to shoot here. Due to county laws. I can not order online.
For whatever reason. I really like wood furniture on long guns. I blame it on my "Old man at heart" spirit. I'm just not very tacticool. :) but I've been looking at replacement stocks. We have to be careful of evil features here as well.

nothing wrong with liking the wood grain. I just want my weapons to be hard to see ;)

Dredwolf
09-15-2013, 10:57 PM
When I started building AR's, I put the wood stock, etc back on my Mini14 and topped it with a mid-range quality red dot.

My wife prefers it over my AR's (until I can build her a lefty AR), so its kinda become her rifle for the moment.

msmoorenburg
09-16-2013, 07:06 AM
I love my mini 14 and i have like 4 extra stocks so if ya need one hit me up

07Negative
09-18-2013, 12:08 PM
nothing wrong with liking the wood grain. I just want my weapons to be hard to see ;)

With your Remie 700. I wouldn't be surprised if you're not going out to 1000 yards with enough practice. Mini 14...not so much. It'll be seen b/c of its range regardless. At some point I'll get an evil feature carbine. Not sure if I'd shoot it much though. Oddly enough. I really enjoy shooting my CZ. I have to keep it interesting though with iron sights. This little .22lr is too accurate. If I scope it, I might get bored :D. After this mini. I gotta save up for a S&W 686+1. I've been jonesin for a wheel gun for a few years now.

07Negative
09-18-2013, 12:09 PM
I love my mini 14 and i have like 4 extra stocks so if ya need one hit me up

Man, thanks! It might be nice to have the option of wood and synthetic stocks.

Mudderoy
09-18-2013, 12:13 PM
With your Remie 700. I wouldn't be surprised if you're not going out to 1000 yards with enough practice. Mini 14...not so much. It'll be seen b/c of its range regardless. At some point I'll get an evil feature carbine. Not sure if I'd shoot it much though. Oddly enough. I really enjoy shooting my CZ. I have to keep it interesting though with iron sights. This little .22lr is too accurate. If I scope it, I might get bored :D. After this mini. I gotta save up for a S&W 686+1. I've been jonesin for a wheel gun for a few years now.

Yep, read up on the Rem 700 prior to getting one. I really need to get out to the range and move to the 200, 300, 500, and eventually the 1000 yard range (hmmm I think they have 1000 yards) I know they have 600. I thought it was pretty cool that they let you drive whatever you have out to set up the target. They warned me about getting stuck out there though. :D

07Negative
09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Man, I could only pray for a range like that out here. I've got a few acres down in Wilcox AZ, that I can do whatever on. But it's a hellova drive.

Mudderoy
09-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Man, I could only pray for a range like that out here. I've got a few acres down in Wilcox AZ, that I can do whatever on. But it's a hellova drive.

http://www.amshootcenters.com/facilities/rifle-pistol/

Oh yeah, I forgot. You have to qualify for the longer ranges. I think you have to shoot 300 yards first then they let you go to the longer ranges.

No supervision on the longer ranges.

07Negative
09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
yeah..... we just don't have that kinda range around here. Generally speaking, they have ammo. When it can be had. But training? pssssst! Hardly. Even the shops around here are poorly stocked with product. With the exception of Canyon Sports in Martinez. A little unfriendly though. And it seems to be the norm at most the shops around here. I'm not sure why.

Mudderoy
09-18-2013, 03:28 PM
yeah..... we just don't have that kinda range around here. Generally speaking, they have ammo. When it can be had. But training? pssssst! Hardly. Even the shops around here are poorly stocked with product. With the exception of Canyon Sports in Martinez. A little unfriendly though. And it seems to be the norm at most the shops around here. I'm not sure why.

Probably part time forum moderators... lol

denverd1
09-20-2013, 11:44 AM
smokin deal! SO nice to see gun prices come back from the "lets go crazy and buy guns and ammo" levels. I'm looking to pick up a few things too. I just can't get excited about .223 round.