PDA

View Full Version : Car alarms?

ArmyGuy45
09-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Anyone put on their XJ after putting some money into it? If so, what did you go with?

OrangeXJ
09-14-2013, 10:53 AM
I have a viper in my TJ and like it. It has a pager with it so if it goes off it pages me

07Negative
09-14-2013, 02:57 PM
My rottweiler :)

cantab27
09-14-2013, 03:17 PM
sorted.....

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/pitbulls.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/cantab27/media/pitbulls.jpg.html)

ha ha ha

Mudderoy
09-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Anyone put on their XJ after putting some money into it? If so, what did you go with?

Check out this :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1457)

07Negative
09-14-2013, 04:35 PM
clipped ears. that's a shame.

cantab27
09-14-2013, 04:40 PM
not mine just a google pic mate

ArmyGuy45
09-15-2013, 01:32 AM
Dogs work great when you have them with you but when you are at work?

07Negative
09-15-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm fortunate enough I get to take Hans (the dog) to work.
But essentially you want an alarm that has its own power supply if the battery is disconnected. There's also these little sirens you can put under your dash. The sound of them are so piercing. One will have perm hearing lose if you sat in a car too long w them going off. You can also get remotes that also tell you if the alarm is going off. Name brand doesn't really matter. Especially if you're getting basic alarm.

nickyg
09-15-2013, 06:41 PM
I use this Chamelion XLE Video | Break.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://embed.break.com/383947@@AMEPARAM@@383947

bad luck
09-16-2013, 10:01 AM
That's great nickyg, in a few more years I'll have a chameleon interior and exterior. But I don't think I would ever install a car alarm. If I hear one go off in the parking lot somewhere, I just ignore it, or hope the thief hurrys up and steals it just to stop the racket. I am going to hide a fuel pump cutoff switch under the dash. I like that idea much more. And a lot cheaper.

Mudderoy
09-16-2013, 11:02 AM
That's great nickyg, in a few more years I'll have a chameleon interior and exterior. But I don't think I would ever install a car alarm. If I hear one go off in the parking lot somewhere, I just ignore it, or hope the thief hurrys up and steals it just to stop the racket. I am going to hide a fuel pump cutoff switch under the dash. I like that idea much more. And a lot cheaper.

I haven't, or maybe I have, installed a cut off relay on my alarm. It disables the vehicle. I can also disable it remotely. Alarms can have more than one use, and you don't have to connect the alarm to it, you can just have your remote go off. Silent alarm! :D

nickyg
09-16-2013, 01:20 PM

I think it's a personal preference/ where u live type thing.
Growing up in rural Ohio I never took the keys out of my car. Here in the city If I leave my doors unlocked at Walmart, Well you can guarantee someone is gonna dig tru your car for whatever they can find.
About 2 years ago someone broke the window out of my 92 ranger and took the factory installed AM/FM cassette player. Now I just leave the doors unlocked because there's nothing in it and the glass was a PIA to replace.
If I had some of the goodies that you guys have. (cb. ham, decent sound system) I'd probably get an alarm.
Fuel pump cut off sounds like a good idea. When I was a kid and I didn't want my brothers driving my car I use to take the coil wire off and take it with me.

BlueXJ
09-16-2013, 01:44 PM
I have an older Clifford and it has alerted me twice.

Mudderoy
09-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I think it's a personal preference/ where u live type thing.
Growing up in rural Ohio I never took the keys out of my car. Here in the city If I leave my doors unlocked at Walmart, Well you can guarantee someone is gonna dig tru your car for whatever they can find.
About 2 years ago someone broke the window out of my 92 ranger and took the factory installed AM/FM cassette player. Now I just leave the doors unlocked because there's nothing in it and the glass was a PIA to replace.
If I had some of the goodies that you guys have. (cb. ham, decent sound system) I'd probably get an alarm.
Fuel pump cut off sounds like a good idea. When I was a kid and I didn't want my brothers driving my car I use to take the coil wire off and take it with me.

Things to disable a vehicle.

Put a relay on the brake line. Normally closed, if alarm goes off relay goes open and at least for an automatic you can't move the shifter! Or you can install a simple switch. Just be careful that you're not running around with your brake lights off!

Fuel pump power, runs through the channel next to the driver's side.

CPS line.

12 volts feeding the coil.

If you have access to some exploding bolts, well we'll leave it at this point for now... :spongebob:

drakan1908
09-16-2013, 02:11 PM
When I was a kid and I didn't want my brothers driving my car I use to take the coil wire off and take it with me.

I had the same problem. I made a fake coil wire from a piece of hose. Worked great.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

ArmyGuy45
09-17-2013, 07:15 AM
I have heard of people using hidden switches. So could you put on the NSS?

Mudderoy
09-17-2013, 12:00 PM
I have heard of people using hidden switches. So could you put on the NSS?

Sure, actually that might be safer than the brake switch. I just like the idea of the would be thief not being able to put it in gear. :patriot: