PDA

View Full Version : Replacement plastic fuel lines....

Dredwolf
09-07-2013, 06:09 PM
As luck would have it, ran into a problem today. A buddy volunteered to come over and help out with re-installing the arms.

I was fretting over hitting the fuel lines drilling out the upper driver's side (hint, foreshadowing here) My good friend is a good fabricator and mechanic, but we balance each other out (usually) because he has ADD and I get OCD working on my XJ. :crazy:

Anyway, I located a long 1/2" bit, paid $20 for it, and it promptly got chipped drilling the passenger side....and I suck at sharpening drill bits on a grinder, and I don't own a Drill Dr. (that will be solved this weekend).

So we moved to the driver side, because he drove 25 minutes to help me. "maybe we should put a board up there to protect those lines?" "No, I fabricate all the time, other side was easy, especially on the inner piece, no worries."

As you can guess, too much pressure on the dull bit to punch through, and the pressure side plastic line got snagged, of course, and it took a big chunk out.
:bang: :sign0055:

It's not leaking (not cranked yet), but how much pressure is on that line? And is that a dealer only part? So much for getting the XJ on the trails this weekend.

Dredwolf
09-08-2013, 08:11 PM
guessing the lines are a dealer-only part?

I can order Ford OEM parts on-line from some dealers, anybody can recommend a OEM Jeep parts dealer?

Or should I be looking at custom braided lines?

Brasscatz
09-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Did you look on RockAuto.com? Also, factorymoparparts.com may have what you're looking for as well

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Dredwolf
09-09-2013, 03:38 PM
I can find injectors and such on Rock Auto, even fuel tank straps. But no lines.

I'll try the Factory Mopar site...and maybe Team Cherokee.

Dredwolf
09-09-2013, 03:44 PM
I feel like I am not categorizing these parts right. Even on the Mopar site, I am not getting a diagram on any of the lines.

I can try the pull-a-part, but having worked at one, I know how that goes.

4.3LXJ
09-09-2013, 04:37 PM
John, it is a little pricey, but I went to braided stainless hose and AN fittings. No more worries

Dredwolf
09-09-2013, 05:47 PM
John, it is a little pricey, but I went to braided stainless hose and AN fittings. No more worries

I still have some $$ in the XJ budget, I like the idea. I won't be spending a ton on new purchases, but I have a lot to assemble still.

Suggestions on vendors?

4.3LXJ
09-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Summit Racing

Dredwolf
09-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Guess I need to Google a crash-course on understanding stainless braided fuel line sizes and fittings. :D

I like this idea better, if I can plan a system that works.:rolleyes:

4.3LXJ
09-09-2013, 09:51 PM
You can get a free catalogue from them. It is much easier to see it on the pages than on line. They will also help you figure out what you will need

belvedere
09-11-2013, 06:20 AM
Not sure exactly what you need, but look here:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/documents4rb/135-145QuickDisconnectBuyersGuide.pdf

About halfway down, page 140, there is a "nylon fuel line repair" kit: 18" tubing with unions, for either 5/16" or 3/8" line. Would something like that work?

Dredwolf
09-12-2013, 01:07 AM
Not sure exactly what you need, but look here:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/documents4rb/135-145QuickDisconnectBuyersGuide.pdf

About halfway down, page 140, there is a "nylon fuel line repair" kit: 18" tubing with unions, for either 5/16" or 3/8" line. Would something like that work?

Wow, that may be the exact thing! Thanks for the link! I like the idea of the stainless in the long run, if I can swing the expense.