PDA

View Full Version : HELP Engine shut off -over heat??

Infidel Edition
09-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Drove to mil school
975 mi
checked fluids at every fill up
watched gauges
last 350 mi... was late and did 90+

As I rolled to the gate
the engine just shut off
2 hrs later started fine

is that just overheating
what should I check...
i'm away from home and hope to get back in a few weeks...

Dredwolf
09-06-2013, 11:26 AM
What temps did you get to? During the last bit? How hot did it get?

High temps can also make sensors fail.

Infidel Edition
09-06-2013, 01:18 PM
the gauge never broke 200 / 210...
it was 75 +/- outside till the end - then mid 90's.
but the aux (AC fan) did kick on at the end. I had'nt heard that fan before...
but the engine ran smooth the entire time.

as I pulled in, it just lost power (over 7 - 8 seconds). enough time for me to adjust and pull into a parking space.
first thought was a hose broke and I lost fluid... but all was good to go.
10 min later and I had to move it... it made it down the hill but I had to pump the peddle a lot.
2 hours before I got back to it... and it acted as if all was normal

it seems to run OK now ~ though I've only had 6 min and 1/2 mi to do anything.
we'll get a few hours a few nights a week... but in 22 days and I get cut free to drive back to Portland.
so any issues ~ I'm hoping to get before I roll out.:pray:

4.3LXJ
09-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Rather than overheating, I think you should look at the throttle position sensor

Infidel Edition
09-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Rather than overheating, I think you should look at the throttle position sensor

I don't know if I have my multimeter with me...
I did clean it when I cleaned the throttle body, and tweaked with it until I got a nice idle.
I noticed it seemed a little weak on hills vs. how it was before I cleaned it...

Hopefully, I can find the tools and check the voltages.

.........or are you thinking it's needing replacement?

4.3LXJ
09-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Let's try adjusting it properly first

89Laredo
09-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Since you were screwing with it and not taking proper measurements/adjustments I would look at the tps first. I'm leaning towards cps though, they like to quit when hot.

89Laredo
09-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Looks like I told you how to do it once before... follow those instructions from 5-90
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14335

XJ Wheeler
09-06-2013, 04:54 PM

That was my thought as well.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

F1Addict
09-06-2013, 05:42 PM
How far was the gate from the 90 MPH highway? I'm thinking it could be heat soak. If you jumped off the 90 MPH highway and then sat idling at a gate, it would cause underhood temperatures to jump due to the sudden lack of airflow.

Infidel Edition
09-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Since you were screwing with it and not taking proper measurements/adjustments I would look at the tps first. I'm leaning towards cps though, they like to quit when hot.

I found a cheap meter and stripped some wire and tied to sowing needles...
stabbed the lines and had 4.96...
And I don't know if it was my playing around after measuring, but it was at .64 ~ but since I wanted to do more work, I didn't use anything on the threads... hoping they would hold it in place till I got back.
There was a nasty storm rolling in, but tomorrow or the next day, I'll try to adjust it to .843

How far was the gate from the 90 MPH highway? I'm thinking it could be heat soak. If you jumped off the 90 MPH highway and then sat idling at a gate, it would cause underhood temperatures to jump due to the sudden lack of airflow.

I cruised at 90+ for about 350 miles. and it was fine until the gate where I had to slow down to less than 5 mph for a few ~ and that's where it died.

Infidel Edition
09-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Well, I skipped out on lunch and finished off the adjustments.
The multimeter didn't have 3 digits past the points... so I aimed for closer to .84 than .85 and hope that is good to get me home.

Fingers crossed.
Next month, I'm pulling the head to replace the gasket (it's weeping a little) and am thinking about installing a high volume oil pump and external oil cooler.

Infidel Edition
09-07-2013, 03:53 PM
...also noticed when I went out that the oil was a qt low.
It hadn't been low the entire 968 miles
and it was on the full line when I got here.

So, it pee'd at some point between Thus and today.
I need to go out and see where / if there's any sign of where it leaked from.

Not sure if that's related to what happened.