PDA

View Full Version : Are bar pin eliminaters worth the coin?

07Negative
09-05-2013, 03:14 PM
So...... Are they? I'm replacing a set of Fox shocks that I've been riding on for about 2.5yrs. Aside from the name branding excitement. I didn't particularly care for them. Build quality is outstanding! But my XJ is still a light weight. No armor, no winch, no cage. Hell not even rock sliders.
After talking to someone at Fox. They assured me I do not need bar pin eliminaters bc their bar pins are sufficient enough.
Bar pin eliminaters seem to me as one of these questionable aftermarket products (like a throttle body spacers) that don't seem to make sence to buy. But maybe I'm wrong. Imagine that! So please, chime in. I can take being wrong. I gotta girlfriend that reminds me weekly.

07Negative
09-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Holy bananas batman!!!!! These 5100's are butter!!!!

abebehrmann
09-05-2013, 06:55 PM
My understanding is they give the shock a little more length which could be good if your shocks are a little short, make it a bit easier to use different types of shocks without going through the hassle of pressing in new bar pins, and give your suspension a more solid feel because they're supposed to preload the bushings. I could be way off base with this, I'm still learning.

4.3LXJ
09-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Bar pin eliminators allow you to use a shock with a rubber bushing instead of the barpin at the top position. This allows you to use a custom application for your extended shock needs. For instance, a made a stud eliminator for the front top mount so I could use a shock that didn't have a top stud. You don't need them unless you need to use a shock without a bar pin in the top bushing

Dredwolf
09-05-2013, 11:04 PM
My main complaint is the aggravation of accessing the bolts.

Detours offers these, I like that idea better:

http://www.detoursusa.com/images/stm_main.jpg

More info: http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php

XjJeepacorn
09-08-2013, 11:44 PM
I got a set from zone for my jeep. Up here the salt really screws you over the first time I changed my shocks I thought the front was going to be the hard part and I figured the back wouldn't take any time at all. Both sides all four bolts were ceased up I heated them but maybe I was just to impatient ... I ended up snapping all four of the studs clean off. Out came the torch and I made new holes. It was easy on the passengers side I could get my hands in there and drop in the new bolts and easily get an open ended wrench on it to tighten it up. The drivers side was a different story. Used a magnet on a stick to lure the bolt to the hole and The holes on that side were allot further away and much harder to see and get a wrench on. Back then I had never heard of ball pin eliminators other wise I would have added a set on back then. This time around I knew I was in for a real pain in the ass, but I am much happier knowing now I'll never have to go through it again. I didn't buy shock cheater ones, but yes they also have given me the added bonus of about an inch. I bought them for ease of installation next time because there will be a next time I'm sure :) I didn't buy them for their other intended purpose. It's great for people who don't have a tone of $$ to replace all their shocks even and then even when they do for what ever lift they'd get a bit more flex out of it.

saar
09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
I think they worth the money.
They reduced the noices of the shock hitting the mount and keep the bushing under some pressure.
Saar