PDA

View Full Version : Question, acting odd on hills.

Ruger
09-04-2013, 01:50 PM
I just recently, a few days ago, was able to buy back my ole Jeep.
It's a 1995 Cherokee, 4.0, automatic.
I only drove it a few days, but didn't really drive it far. Runs fine! I missed it!
My wife took it to work today, ended up calling me when she got there.
She said it ran good and strong, but when she tries to climb any hills, it starts bucking and dying, like it has no power.
But on the level it's fine.
Does this sound like a fuel filter? I never changed it, and the guy I got it back from did nothing to it.
Honestly, I think the kid before me never did anything either. I am thinking that fuel filter, maybe under the truck? Can that cause it? If not I am lost.

F1Addict
09-04-2013, 02:03 PM
There is no easy way to isolate the fuel filter as the cause. It certainly could be a fuel starvation issue but it could also be ignition/electrical/vacuum. If it runs perfectly under normal load then I would try accelerating relatively hard on level pavement, let the RPMs rise to the upper end of the tach (if you've got one, otherwise, guesstimate). If it doesn't hesitate at higher RPMs then you can likely rule out fuel starvation and thus, your fuel filter. Not a bad idea to replace it, though. They're cheap and good preventative maintenance. Hopefully you can provide a few more details once she gets home from work and you have a chance to drive it yourself.

Ruger
09-04-2013, 02:12 PM
There is no easy way to isolate the fuel filter as the cause. It certainly could be a fuel starvation issue but it could also be ignition/electrical/vacuum. If it runs perfectly under normal load then I would try accelerating relatively hard on level pavement, let the RPMs rise to the upper end of the tach (if you've got one, otherwise, guesstimate). If it doesn't hesitate at higher RPMs then you can likely rule out fuel starvation and thus, your fuel filter. Not a bad idea to replace it, though. They're cheap and good preventative maintenance. Hopefully you can provide a few more details once she gets home from work and you have a chance to drive it yourself.

Thank you. I will test drive it as soon as she gets home shortly. I drove it for a few days close to home, but really didn't need to go up any long hills. It seemed fine to me. But then again, I didn't run it hard at all. I will report back, as soon as I drive it myself. The way she described it, was it was bucking and dying on the hills.

Ruger
09-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Also...she did say it was on a 1/4 of a tank, maybe a bit lower. I am wondering if going up hills, it is not grabbing the gas. Just a thought.

F1Addict
09-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Also...she did say it was on a 1/4 of a tank, maybe a bit lower. I am wondering if going up hills, it is not grabbing the gas. Just a thought.

It could be. I've heard of the fuel pick-up falling off the bottom of the pump and into the tank so the pump doesn't reach the bottom anymore. It's rare, but it has happened.

Ruger
09-04-2013, 03:55 PM
It could be. I've heard of the fuel pick-up falling off the bottom of the pump and into the tank so the pump doesn't reach the bottom anymore. It's rare, but it has happened.

Okay, It's home. She said it was doing it on bends and hills. I checked the gas gauge, and it was between 1/4 and empty. But it was floating towards empty mostly.
I ran down and put it up to half a tank. I just drove it back home and its fine.
I did notice one thing. The gauge really floats around. If I even turn a bend, the gauge goes from 1/2 to 3/4''s.
It even floats slightly while sitting still with the gas sloshing around, and moves. I think this gauge is very sensitive. I think she was almost out of fuel, I am guessing. I am going on a hardcore test drive now.

Ruger
09-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Okay, I think it was low on fuel. I went and put 7 gallons in it, and it is at a little under 3/4's. Kind of floats almost to half. I don't know how many gallons it holds, but its fine.
I don't like beating my vehicles. However, I stood on it hard, and held it to the floor until it shifted. It never skipped a beat.
I even went up hills, and around bends. Gauge floats 1/4 of a tank at a time when your turning a bend. I am willing to bet, "since she explained it better", that it was close to empty, and she turned the bend going up the hill and it sputtered.
I just drove it hard up hills, and bends...etc. She's fine.
For the record. Its my truck, I let her use it today. No More!...:P

F1Addict
09-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Well, that was the easiest fix in the history of Jeepdom. A floating gauge comes standard with XJs :) There are no baffles in the tank, only a small tray where the inlet sock rests. The design makes it difficult for the intake to scavenge fuel in left turns and up hills.

I don't beat on mine either but running it up to near redline is good from time to time as it will slightly rotate the valves and prevent carbon deposits. The actual trigger RPM for valve rotation is (I believe) 3200 RPM.

Ruger
09-04-2013, 06:32 PM
That would explain what happened then. At least it was an easy fix. I feel like a bonehead now. I need to get used to this truck.