PDA

View Full Version : Rotting brake lines

Minihammermatt
09-04-2013, 11:27 AM
My stock brake lines are rotting out, I was wondering if it was worth it to upgrade to stainless steel lines or stick to oem style lines?

nickyg
09-04-2013, 12:00 PM
In my humble opinion I would go with stainless if you have the funds. I have no idea if stainless is better or not. I’m just attracted to shiny objects.

Do you plan on putting in a lift? This maybe the time to go with longer lines.

But again have no experience on the subject. But I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

I’m sure you’ll get a good solid answer by the end of the day.

F1Addict
09-04-2013, 12:37 PM
There is so much hype about stainless brake lines when, a lot of times, the only difference between "braided stainless steel brake lines" and OEM brake lines is the outer coating. Those labeled Stainless Steel have a clear or tinted (but still clear) outer sleeve so that you can see the braided mesh that surrounds the intermediate core while OEM lines are typically black. As you can tell by looking through the cracks in your OEM lines, they are also made of... braided stainless steel.

Some manufacturer's will use an ultra-hard urethane or Teflon liner that resists expansion under repeated heavy braking and boiling fluid. That's good if you happen to be racing your XJ but of little use, otherwise.

I just replaced mine last weekend (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15735) [<<my link] with a pair I got from AutoZone. $12.99 each and they work perfectly, they even have armored sleeves in the right places to prevent chafing on suspension components.

But if you must have the sparkles, go with brake lines that have a clear housing. You probably won't be able to tell from inside the car that you've spent three times as much for them but from the outside they'll sure look pretty. My brake lines are usually covered in mud so no one but me would know if they were braided stainless or not.

jschmidt250
09-05-2013, 11:38 AM
I went with the OEM brake lines for a YJ. They gave me the extended length for the lift and have had no issues with them.

F1Addict
09-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I went with the OEM brake lines for a YJ. They gave me the extended length for the lift and have had no issues with them.

I noticed that the lines I got from AutoZone also appear to be ~2 inches longer than OEM. They're likely the same brake lines AutoZone would sell you for a YJ ;)

belvedere
09-14-2013, 05:46 PM
OP, could you clarify: when you say brake lines, do you mean the hard lines, or the hoses? I assumed hard lines, but it looks like others are assuming hoses.

01xjcny
09-14-2013, 06:35 PM
if your talking hard lines the nickel copper imo is the best to work with and claim never rust

Minihammermatt
09-14-2013, 07:30 PM
I was talking about the hard lines, can you clarify on theses nickel copper lines; ie is it a coating or is that what they are made of?

01xjcny
09-14-2013, 07:43 PM
it is what it is made of, cost little more but easy to work with can bend it by hand with out kinking it

oderdene
09-14-2013, 08:56 PM
like this one brp, they sell kit or tubing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cupro-Nickel-Brake-Line-Tubing-Kit-3-16-O-D-x-25-ft-Coil-w-15-3-16-fittings-/321173409272

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Cupro-Nickel-Brake-Line-Tubing-Kit-3-16-O-D-x-25-ft-Coil-w-15-3-16-fittings-/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/SSwAAOxynLhR9Bae/$T2eC16d,!)UE9s3wDcyUBR9B,eDoFg~~60_12.JPG

F1Addict
09-21-2013, 09:50 PM
OP, could you clarify: when you say brake lines, do you mean the hard lines, or the hoses? I assumed hard lines, but it looks like others are assuming hoses.

I forget that "rot" is a synonym for "rust" outside of California. Inside California, metal doesn't rot ;)

XJMikey
10-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Sorry to steal your thread... but how hard is it to duplicate the engine bay bends in the rear hardline? I want to replace the half assed line Mavis discount tire put in with a properly run, bent and hung line.

4.3LXJ
10-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Not hard, you just need the tools. A good bender and a double flare tool and you can make anything you want

XJMikey
10-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Not hard, you just need the tools. A good bender and a double flare tool and you can make anything you want

I'll give it a shot. My big hands are my only limitation. Lol

4.3LXJ
10-03-2013, 10:18 AM
The best bender I have is one I can put in the vise. It consists of a handle with a grooved cylinder on it for different sizes of lines