PDA

View Full Version : Unknown branch of the family

ArmyGuy45
08-31-2013, 12:52 PM
So to give you a little back story on my family, my grandmother on my dads side was adopted and she didnt find out she was adopted until she was getting married and her birth certificate listed her biological father and not her father she knew. When my grandmother approached her mother about the issue she was told very little information and to 'drop the issue'. My grandmother her entire life has always wondered if she had any half brothers or sisters but wasnt allowed to do the research since her mom didnt allow it.

My mom was doing some research to complete the family tree as far back as we could get it and discovered that my grandmother was adopted and asked her about it. My grandmother respond with little information since she didnt have any so my mom went to her grandmother-in-law to get some details. Her response was do not research this anymore and its none of your business. So she dropped the issue.

Fast forward to a about 2 weeks ago when I started to put our family tree on ancestry.com I also discovered the adoption and when I approached my mom about it she told to drop it since the drama it caused when she was doing the research. MrsArmyGuy45 told me that I should email my grandmother and just give her the little information I had discovered to see if she would like to know. The response I got from my grandmother almost put me in tears. She was so happy to read the email I sent her and asked if I had anymore information.

To make a long story short. Through countless hours of research and phone calls, my grandmother doesnt have anymore brothers or sisters from her biological father but she does have plenty of aunts and uncles, and those aunts and uncles have plenty of kids. Turns out that of of those kids, one lives in Gilbert, AZ (my grandmother lives near Payson, AZ). So through a combination of ancestry.com, white pages, facebook and google we were able to get a name, location, work location but no home phone number (probably private). Like the stalkers we are we called her at work and gave her our story. Funny part is this cousin of my grandmother was going through some old photographs and found one of her uncle (my grandmothers father) holding a very young little girl and no one in her family knew who it was. We have exchanged information and the cousin is going to verify the family tree and scanned pictures we have sent her to make sure it is a true family connection (though the parents of the biological father matches the cousin grandparents so I am sure this is a match).

My grandmother is practically jumping out of her skin knowing that she lived 3 hours away from her biological cousin and she never knew about it. I cant wait to close the loop and meet family I have never know about.

Mudderoy
08-31-2013, 01:12 PM
My mom was adopted and she has been researching for, gosh, 30 years. Never was able to find anyone for sure that was her mother or father. She's 91. I hope she have her answers when she finally passes, and at this rate it'll be another 40 years at least. ;)

4.3LXJ
08-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Very cool. There are lots of stories like that. It used to be shameful to get a divorce then, and the result was usually that the kids were adopted out by a mother that couldn't support them. Not saying that happened, but a widow would be in the same situation too.

xj4life2
08-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Just be carefull and thoughtfull in your search, sometimes those people don't want to be found. Being adopted myself, as well as my siblings , I can attest to this. I wish you the best of luck and hope a joyous reunion for all.

prerunner1982
09-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Matt that is good stuff right there. Glad you were able to find that info. I too am into genealogy and have met quite a few distance cousins in my research. Another site I like to use in addition to Ancestry is FamilySearch.org.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help. I am no pro, but I have been doing this for many years.

ArmyGuy45
09-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Matt that is good stuff right there. Glad you were able to find that info. I too am into genealogy and have met quite a few distance cousins in my research. Another site I like to use in addition to Ancestry is FamilySearch.org.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help. I am no pro, but I have been doing this for many years.

As it stands right now we are waiting on her and her family to talk it over. The wait is what is killing us.

Infidel Edition
09-03-2013, 09:41 PM
awesome story Matt.

My mom started researching our family tree on Ancestry.com and its been cool & fun learning where I came from

Brasscatz
09-03-2013, 10:44 PM
I have a giant genealogy book that my great aunt compiled. With the last name "Fulbright", it's pretty easy to find connections since it's a very uncommon name. For example, the "Fulbright Scholarship" is from my bloodlines, Senator Fulbright is as well. I know the Fulbright line all the way back to "Johan Wilhelm Volbrect (John William Fulbright)" that came from Germany in the 1700's. Now, my mother's side is a different story. I know that I have a ton of German and Cherokee, but this last summer I found out that my mother's maiden name, "Bean" comes from the "MacBean (MacBain)" clan of the Scottish Highlands right off of Loch Ness and I even got to visit the MacBain memorial park off the Loch in June. I would love to find out more about her side of the family.

I was also lucky that I was able to find a BUNCH of "family" on Facebook and there's a guy on there that can tell us exactly how we are related.

F1Addict
09-03-2013, 11:15 PM
That's a great story, Matt. Adoption can be such a touchy issue but I have yet to hear of a reunion that wasn't welcomed. They're not always as perfect as you might have hoped but there is a catharsis in knowing.

I helped a friend locate her birth-mother. She had searched for decades through paper trails and legal documents but the Internet was to be her ally. Their reunion was beautiful, they spoke often for weeks but her birth-mother slowly retreated and, in time, disappeared... again. My friend learned so much in those few weeks, she has never regretted her decision to pursue this piece of her life.

EricT93
09-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Hopefully all goes well with this, I'm sure it will bring your grandmother alot of joy!